Home Ratings & Reviews

La Perla Habana Rojo Toro Box

Anybody have much experience with these? I was thinking of picking up a box of Toro's, but I have only ever had one and I don't remember it. I usually remember sticks that I like so I'm thinking maybe this one wasn't so hot?

Comments

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Not a bad stick and is a nice stick to have on hand when you are just in the mood for a cigar and not sure what you want. Has a nice spice to it although it is not the most complex cigar out there. The couple that I have had did have a decent size vein or two but they burned great without the need for a touchup on any of them. You have a PM.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    smoked the torp the other day, loved it.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Good solid stick at a great price. Semi-sweet spice is what stands out most for me.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Hey doug, if you dont like em lemme know, ill offer a fair price :)
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Jetmech_63:
    Hey doug, if you dont like em lemme know, ill offer a fair price :)
    Yeah, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these. A box of Toro's on the way. There is also a sampler deal that can go along with these. Ten more sticks for $10. That way I get to try all the Vitola's in this line for $10, couldn't turn that down.
    pretty good deal really. another half a box worth of sticks for $10 is pretty cheap.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Haven't tried the Rojo yet. The Cobre was a decent stick, the LPH classic was "Meh". I have a few of the Black Pearls on the way, they looked tasty. Need to stock a few Rojo's and Morados to finish the series.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I tried a Morado and a Black Pearl quite some time ago and I believe the Morado was the one I really enjoyed and the Black Pearl was pretty horrible. One of the few cigars I've ever had that I couldn't finish. Tasted like a dirty barn smells! Not just that light grassy/hay flavor, but like a barn that has had cows closed up in it for a week or two... REALLY bad. After several people talking about it though I'd love to give the Rojo a shot. Sounds like an interesting stick.
    yeah, the black pearl in my opinion was so so.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I smoked a Black Pearl a couple weeks ago that I'd had for probably 18 months and I thought it was good, not great but good.
    Well I have now made it through the LPH classic, LPH Black Pearl original and the BP Cobre. The LPH classic needs to rest a bit before they are decent, the Cobre was good after a couple of days off the truck and the BP original has been good ROTT. None are spectacular but all ended up being decent sticks when purchased at bargain prices. Still need to put my hands on the Rojo
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I tried out the Rojo robusto, and the Morado torpedo recently. Wasn't too impressed. They weren't bad, but they weren't good either. Somewhere between a yard 'gar and a daily is where I'd rank them. I've got a few more, but I don't know that I will try them any time soon. I just don't smoke enough to need a stick like this.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I was pretty unimpressed with the Morado as well Russ, thought the rojo was good but not great, had both in the torpedo. The Cobre robusto was nice, hit me harder than I was expecting. My impression so far is that LPH is probably more a decent budget cigar than a great cigar at a great price. Looking forward to trying another rojo with a few weeks rest.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I was pretty unimpressed with the Morado as well Russ, thought the rojo was good but not great, had both in the torpedo. The Cobre robusto was nice, hit me harder than I was expecting. My impression so far is that LPH is probably more a decent budget cigar than a great cigar at a great price. Looking forward to trying another rojo with a few weeks rest.
    Yeah, the Rojo was definitely the better of the two. I'll probably give the toro and torp a shot. The Morado was just a weak blend with a Cameroon wrapper that tasted like all the other mild-medium Cameroons on the market. I kept saying to myself while smoking it "This got a 93?".
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Just had my first LPH Rojo, which someone bombed me with a while back. Cant remember who exactly (sorry!) but I just had to get on here and say THANK YOU!!! I thought this was a REALLY good stick, and I didnt have much in the way of expectations going into it.

TONS of spice which Ive really been into lately, and I think this is the first stick where I could actually taste black pepper AND red pepper! My lips and tongue were on fire from jump with this stick, and stayed that way throughout. The first and second thirds were great, the final third had a leathery taste that I wasnt crazy about, but it wasnt awful by any stretch.

Calling CCom tomorrow to order up a couple of each vitola on this one and once I decide which of them I like best its box time baby!

• dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Just had my first LPH Rojo, which someone bombed me with a while back. Cant remember who exactly (sorry!) but I just had to get on here and say THANK YOU!!! I thought this was a REALLY good stick, and I didnt have much in the way of expectations going into it.

TONS of spice which Ive really been into lately, and I think this is the first stick where I could actually taste black pepper AND red pepper! My lips and tongue were on fire from jump with this stick, and stayed that way throughout. The first and second thirds were great, the final third had a leathery taste that I wasnt crazy about, but it wasnt awful by any stretch.

Calling CCom tomorrow to order up a couple of each vitola on this one and once I decide which of them I like best its box time baby!

Have you had the Morado or Cobre? They're both quite tasty as well.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    dbeckom:
    The Sniper:

I have not sir. May explore those after I get done running house on the Rojo's, thanks for the tip.

• dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    dbeckom:
    The Sniper:

I have not sir. May explore those after I get done running house on the Rojo's, thanks for the tip.

The Cobre has a very unique taste. The "pepper" seems more multi-dimensional than the usual red, black, or white pepper flavors. IMO its more like fresh green jalape

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    I have smoked the entire line of LPH cigars. The rojo was the best IMO but I enjoyed them all. Everyone was a unique blend with it's on characteristics
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    morado and maduro best of the line to me