Home Cigar 101

round humidifier

how do i charge the round black humidifier thats shown on cigar.com for like 6 bucks? i get my humi just right at like 70% then it drops substantially.I seasoned it properly and everything i just didnt do anything with the humidifier but stick it in there smack in the center inside the lid.What do i need to do?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming the 6 dollar humidifier is the black puck with the green foam? If you insist on using that, I'd suggest charging with Cigar Juice to maintain 70% humidity. However, for a more permanent solution, I would suggest switching to gel beads.

Also, how big is the humidor? And are you using a calibrated digital hygrometer?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    wwhwang:
    I'm assuming the 6 dollar humidifier is the black puck with the green foam? If you insist on using that, I'd suggest charging with Cigar Juice to maintain 70% humidity. However, for a more permanent solution, I would suggest switching to gel beads.

Also, how big is the humidor? And are you using a calibrated digital hygrometer?
    Did you season your humi properly? Also, you mentioned your humidity drops significantly - what are we talking about? 5%? 10% If you put a bunch of "new" sticks in your humi, I know it can drag your RH down sometimes.

• Big ErnBig Ern Posts: 72
    yes thats the one.Do you suggest a larger one? maybe the large rectangular one i see here on the site.I have the 20 stick cigar.com humi it was a starter kit with that came with 10 sticks the humidifier and the humi.I will most definitely try the cigar juice.Do i have to dip the humidifier in the juice or just squirt a little on? I put a small dish of distilled water in there for 3 days until it didnt absorb anymore.I got a HYgrometer at walmart (digital and fully calibrated) just recently bought Romeo Y Julieta 1875's 3 of them not sure if thats why the drop.I had the humi at a cozey 72 Degrees with a 70% humidity reading held for a day and dropped to 60% im new at this and not sure if thats ok.Lastly i bought a small plastic jar of those crystals you put in the humi they worked but when i took em out the % dropped again maximum of 10% no more. Is it ok that i put those crystals in with my cigars too? please tell me i didnt f$%k up.Sorry about the novel here thanks for your time and expertise
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Big Ern:
    yes thats the one.Do you suggest a larger one? maybe the large rectangular one i see here on the site.

I have the 20 stick cigar.com humi it was a starter kit with that came with 10 sticks the humidifier and the humi.I will most definitely try the cigar juice.Do i have to dip the humidifier in the juice or just squirt a little on? I put a small dish of distilled water in there for 3 days until it didnt absorb anymore.

I got a HYgrometer at walmart (digital and fully calibrated) just recently bought Romeo Y Julieta 1875's 3 of them not sure if thats why the drop.I had the humi at a cozey 72 Degrees with a 70% humidity reading held for a day and dropped to 60% im new at this and not sure if thats ok.

Lastly i bought a small plastic jar of those crystals you put in the humi they worked but when i took em out the % dropped again maximum of 10% no more. Is it ok that i put those crystals in with my cigars too? please tell me i didnt f$%k up.Sorry about the novel here thanks for your time and expertise
    Reformatted for easier reading on the eyes

If all you have is a 20-count humi, you really don't need much humidification, so your current puck should do fine. That said, you might wanna order some Heartfelt or Conservagel beads, open up the puck, and replace the green foam with beads (FYI - beads only require distilled water, which costs about $1 for a gallon at WalMart)

Any humidity between 65% and 70% RH is where you wanna be; although some people prefer to go as high as 72%RH or as low as 60% RH - it's really a matter of preference, but most ppl like 65-70%.

If you spike higher or lower for a day or so, there's not much dmg you're gonna do - it's only if you stay above that limit, that you start causing damage

Lastly, if you have the humicare crystals, you don't need the puck - one or the other will do you just fine.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Xikar makes a jar that does wonders. might wanna check that out.
  • shawtdshawtd Posts: 72
    As I mentioned on a previous topic, I have that same humidor. I bought 1 drymistat stick (you can google it) at a local B&M. It does a good job of keeping my RH pretty close to 65%. Once in a while, if it dips, I will put the black puck back in there after charging it with distilled water. Seems to work great.
    thanks for givin me piece of mind I thought i was really **** my cigars up with the humi issue.I will definitely be takin your advise.thanks again
    Im gonna give that a shot dude thanks...
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Xikar makes a jar that does wonders. might wanna check that out.
    x2 on this, used one while here in the sandbox and it does a pretty good job.
  • Ive been using two drymistat tubes for my 100 count and they have been great. I like not having to recharge the tubes so often and it's easy to tell if it needs more water. So I + 1 the tubes