Home Non Cigar Related

Going to work out first time in long time

time to get my life in shape....working out hard....eating right, cant believe im saying this but smoking just a tad less....tad i said!!!....lol...3 or 4 a week ! lol....drinking my protien again and healthy meals....oh the good old times ! lol....well here we go! lol right now im 6ft, 240 pounds...by dec i want to be 235....then by feb of 2011, 220......dam this will suck

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you've got the extra money, you might wanna look into Nutrisystem; a friend of mine was on it for a few months, and he lost 20lbs in 2-3 months (he also hit the gym and alternated cardio with weight lifting). If you're below 40yrs, you can probably lose more than your current target quicker.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude that's not so bad. I'm going slightly dangerous with mine... Liquid diet.
    Seriously though I need a new weight set.

What kinda workouts you doing?

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Nutri system cost a grip for just food I can prepare.....i know how to make healthy food...just need to take the time to do it
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Body For Life...... nuff said.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • I really need to get my ass in shape too just need to go out and for it
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I went running for the first time in a year and boy am I sore. Made it a whopping .6 mile. Looks like a long road ahead.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lent the book "Body For Life" to a friend of mine. All he did was follow the nutrition plan (which is really easy) and he went from 255 to 180 in 10 months...without working out once.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Poker Slob:
    I lent the book "Body For Life" to a friend of mine. All he did was follow the nutrition plan (which is really easy) and he went from 255 to 180 in 10 months...without working out once.

Im hip, Whn i work at it i can drop 10-15 in a month or two with little effort just adjust diet walk 3-4 miles 4-5 days a week I lif a bit .... not real heavy more for tone, Those old days are over for me... I used to be a Big MO FO at one time, im 6'1 225 right now..... would like to be around 205 With the holidays looming good fn Luck with thaT! lol
    want to ship me that book lol
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Man just work out 5x/week and you wont need to diet!
    ha my *** needs a diet to go along with working out lol...i promise u that much
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I need to get my ass out there as well. What's this book about? Don't think I've ever heard of it before. Is it expensive? I'm needing to be a little bit better with my diet. I don't think I can manage to do the 5xs a week workout anymore.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Best exercises for losing weight are all cardio-based. A moderate-paced run over a long period of time is good for fat burning. Fencing and kendo are great hobbies to look into as well for cardio because of all the footwork involved. I would also suggest some military cardio exercises such as motivators, mountain climbers (I HATE this exercise), side-straddle-hops (jumping jacks), and lots of swimming if you're looking for a low-impact well-rounded exercise

Three pieces of advice about eating habits though.
    1.)If you can, eat a lot of small meals throughout the day. This keeps your body from telling you that you're hungry and it kick-starts your metabolism.

2.) Even with millions and millions of years of adaptation, our bodies are still in caveman mode. Severely limit your intake of processed sugar (cakes, sodas, doughnuts, etc) and only take in natural sugars from fruits and such if you can. For some biological reason, lots of processed sugar signals your body that there's a famine coming and that it needs to store fat for survival

3.) If you're hungry and you have a habit of midnight snacking, NEVER eat carbs or sugars before you go to bed. If you have to eat something, eat pure protein (deli meats like turkey br3ast, Virginia ham, or even prosciutto) or some nuts. This is because your body is still in caveman mode and burns through fat and protein MUCH faster than carbs. This way, when you go to sleep, you're burning through your snack. Whereas if you eat carbs before bed, your body's just going to store the majority of the carbs as fat.

EDIT: Wow...you can't even say "turkey b r e a s t" without the forum censoring it.
    wwhwang:
    Best exercises for losing weight are all cardio-based. A moderate-paced run over a long period of time is good for fat burning. Fencing and kendo are great hobbies to look into as well for cardio because of all the footwork involved. I would also suggest some military cardio exercises such as motivators, mountain climbers (I HATE this exercise), side-straddle-hops (jumping jacks), and lots of swimming if you're looking for a low-impact well-rounded exercise

Three pieces of advice about eating habits though.
    1.)If you can, eat a lot of small meals throughout the day. This keeps your body from telling you that you're hungry and it kick-starts your metabolism.

2.) Even with millions and millions of years of adaptation, our bodies are still in caveman mode. Severely limit your intake of processed sugar (cakes, sodas, doughnuts, etc) and only take in natural sugars from fruits and such if you can. For some biological reason, lots of processed sugar signals your body that there's a famine coming and that it needs to store fat for survival

3.) If you're hungry and you have a habit of midnight snacking, NEVER eat carbs or sugars before you go to bed. If you have to eat something, eat pure protein (deli meats like turkey br3ast, Virginia ham, or even prosciutto) or some nuts. This is because your body is still in caveman mode and burns through fat and protein MUCH faster than carbs. This way, when you go to sleep, you're burning through your snack. Whereas if you eat carbs before bed, your body's just going to store the majority of the carbs as fat.

EDIT: Wow...you can't even say "turkey b r e a s t" without the forum censoring it.
    Do you really do all of this wwhwang?
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Good luck to you! I just lost a lot of weight 211 - 174 lbs...did the Atkins diet with about an hour of exercise. I think the key to weight loss is to stay active and eat sensibly....Atkins is definitely not something I'm staying on, but **** offered some good suggestions. Just be sure to take it slow as hitting the gym hard for the first time can be tough on your body!
    Sandman1am:
    The majority of it. The only ones I don't do anymore are mountain climbers (because I hate them), fencing (because there's no one to practice with), and kendo (again, no one to practice with). Really wish I could get back into fencing again, though. I loved it.
    wwhwang:
    Sandman1am:
    The majority of it. The only ones I don't do anymore are mountain climbers (because I hate them), fencing (because there's no one to practice with), and kendo (again, no one to practice with). Really wish I could get back into fencing again, though. I loved it.
    Ya I hate/d Mt. climbers too. I guess its a lifestyle cause it seems time consuming.
    Sandman1am:
    wwhwang:
    Sandman1am:
    Ya I hate/d Mt. climbers too. I guess its a lifestyle cause it seems time consuming.
    Mountain climbers? Lifestyle? Oooh. I didn't actually mean mountain climbing. The mountain climbers I'm talking about is a military cardio (and arm muscle) exercise. It's a great cardio and muscle endurance exercise, but it SUCKS. Here's a video explaining how to do it though, if you're curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8u58hPam4&p=BF15EA2A53E6D470&playnext=1&index=9
    wwhwang:
    Sandman1am:
    wwhwang:
    Sandman1am:
    Mountain climbers? Lifestyle? Oooh. I didn't actually mean mountain climbing. The mountain climbers I'm talking about is a military cardio (and arm muscle) exercise. It's a great cardio and muscle endurance exercise, but it SUCKS. Here's a video explaining how to do it though, if you're curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8u58hPam4&p=BF15EA2A53E6D470&playnext=1&index=9
    Nope I know what you were talking about I've got 15 years in military so yes I hate them too. Was saying all the other stuff seems like a lifestyle change not that it would be a bad thing for me. Just time consuming.
    Sandman1am:
    Nope I know what you were talking about I've got 15 years in military so yes I hate them too. Was saying all the other stuff seems like a lifestyle change not that it would be a bad thing for me. Just time consuming.
    Oooh ok. I thought you were actually talking about scaling mountains. I know taking those three tips about eating habits sucks at first, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. I started doing it right after I got out of basic and it stuck, so I've been doing it ever since. Once you kick the habit of drinking cokes, you don't really miss carbonated sugar drinks. At most, I drink a soda every 2 months. And I also have a bad habit of snacking before bed, but I love deli meat, so it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    want to ship me that book lol
    Go to bodyforlife.com..... everything you need is there and it's free!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was an Army Recruiter, we'd suggest to our candidates who needed to lose weight, (and ourselves, sometimes) to use sandwich plates. Eat healthy food, 3 meals a day, but you can't overlap the plate, nor stack. Wwhangs advice looks good, too, especially about calories and carbs late in the day, or early evening. Also, start your workout at about 25% of what you think you can, or should do, you can always increase later, while an injury can put you out of business for awhile. Good Luck! (and remember to have fun, otherwise, what's the point?)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain