Home Cigar 101

New Humidor but over 100.

What did I do wrong? I left out the cigars for a day, opened the box for hours, took out excess water from humidification, but to no vail. It went down as much as 85 but keeps going up when I close it.

Please help and give every possible reason what I'm doing wrong. Thank you!

Cigar Newbie

Comments

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Where is it located? Does it sit near an area of warmth, window, some kind of equipment, any where that may not allow circulation or collect heat. If the temp goes up usually so does the RH.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Remember that the same reason it takes a few days to season a humidor (by letting it absorb moisture from a bowl, etc) is that the wood takes a while to soak up the moisture from the air... Likewise it takes a while to release that same moisture.. Especially if you're already in a humid environment...

In other words... Just leaving it open for a day may have not been nearly long enough if you've really oversaturated the wood... Just leave it (with the cigars in there) open for a day or so again... Close it and see what the humidity does then... Eventually itll get where it needs to be...

Also make sure your hygrometer is calibrated... I'm assuming you're using a digital hygrometer?