Home General Discussion

Baby steps...baby steps...

Well, I purchased my first C.Com sampler a few weeks ago...

And today my first humidor arrived in the mail! No more bootlegged old Kristoff box with the Humi-Pak I got from my C.Com order. I've got a real humidor!

Now to set about seasoning it...and buying more cigars to fill it!

~Brian

Comments

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BeardedYeti:
    Well, I purchased my first C.Com sampler a few weeks ago...

And today my first humidor arrived in the mail! No more bootlegged old Kristoff box with the Humi-Pak I got from my C.Com order. I've got a real humidor!

Now to set about seasoning it...and buying more cigars to fill it!

~Brian
    Size humi did you buy bro? I went with a 50-100ct a few months ago when i started getting into this hobby and less than 2 months later..its filled I have absouletly no room left in it. Trying to drop hints to the wife that I will be buying a bigger one soon. Enjoy brother.
  • Congrats man! You're on your way to being poor from this hobby, but it sure is fun on the way down.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Congrats ! Yes I started with a 25 count and now I have that one filled with cigars that have been aging for over a year and I got a 300 count that I use for bombs and overflow its almost full...... Its the most fun you'll have going broke :-)
  • smoke em if you got em:
    Size humi did you buy bro?
    I bought a 25-50. It's not what I dreamed of, but it fits our budget at this time. I figure it will be full by Christmas though, because I doubt I'll be smoking as much come cold weather (that pesky wife and her rules), but I plan on still spending my weekly budget...haha.

At least I convinced the wife to let me have a smoking room whenever we get a house...

~Brian
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    started with a 40-50ct with in a month bought a 300ct 50 is packed and the 300 prob is half full or more. all these passes and bombs it fills up quick.

Welcome and enjoy!!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    BeardedYeti:
    smoke em if you got em:
    I bought a 25-50. It's not what I dreamed of, but it fits our budget at this time. I figure it will be full by Christmas though, because I doubt I'll be smoking as much come cold weather (that pesky wife and her rules), but I plan on still spending my weekly budget...haha.

At least I convinced the wife to let me have a smoking room whenever we get a house...

~Brian
    You poor, poor deluded b@stard. We've all been there, but soon you'll be back here soon, telling us how foolish you were and how you figure a 100 count will hold you for now. Then you'll be back a few weeks later, telling us how you're thinking of a 300-count cabinet; then a few weeks later it'll be a 1,500-count humidor; then a few weeks later . . .
  • xmacro:
    BeardedYeti:
    smoke em if you got em:

~Brian
    You poor, poor deluded b@stard. We've all been there, but soon you'll be back here soon, telling us how foolish you were and how you figure a 100 count will hold you for now. Then you'll be back a few weeks later, telling us how you're thinking of a 300-count cabinet; then a few weeks later it'll be a 1,500-count humidor; then a few weeks later . . .
    True, so true.
  • Ok, I've got my baby resting on the dresser, humidifier and a small glass of water doing their magical little job...I never thought I'd be so excited for water to evaporate.

Quick question on the humidifier...anyone have any experience with the standard ones from CheapHumidors.com (where I got my humi)? I don't wanna stick this to the lid if I end up using something different...

I know everyone swears by the beads, but I was gonna make a stocking/smoking trip to my B&M on my next days off and see what kind of humidification they offer...I have been looking real close at the jars of gel, is there a brand I should lean more towards than others?

Thanks for all the support and help guys...I'll let you know when I contract someone to convert our linen closet to a humidor. ;)

~Brian
  • The Cank:
    Congrats ! Yes I started with a 25 count and now I have that one filled with cigars that have been aging for over a year and I got a 300 count that I use for bombs and overflow its almost full...... Its the most fun you'll have going broke :-)
    yup I can attest to thatt good fun as long as u don't mind being broke lol
  • I already posted this somewhere else so I'm sorry in advance. Anyways, I bought drymistat tubes which are like 10 bucks a piece and so far they have been doing really well. They are clear tubes with wierd gel pieces in it that you fill with distilled water and set them in there. I really like that there is a fill line and a "add more water" line that make them easy to use. Of course there is no wrong answer.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    brotheradam:
    xmacro:
    BeardedYeti:
    smoke em if you got em:

~Brian
    True, so true.
    Christmas? Dude it'll be full by next week, check out the Daily Deals and Weekend Blitz.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I already posted this somewhere else so I'm sorry in advance. Anyways, I bought drymistat tubes which are like 10 bucks a piece and so far they have been doing really well. They are clear tubes with wierd gel pieces in it that you fill with distilled water and set them in there. I really like that there is a fill line and a "add more water" line that make them easy to use. Of course there is no wrong answer.
    +1. The drymistat tubes are an EXCELLENT answer for a humidor of this size. One, two of them tops and you should be rock solid... without giving up the space that you would with beads or a jar of crystals or gel. Space that you are desperately going to need WAAAAAY before you thought you would. :-D

Excellent call Iced!

• Fa sho! And bro, you are going to need a 300 count asap.. There's just no two ways about it. I'm busting out the seams in my 100 count and I've been serious about cigars for only 4 months. Face it, your doomed! Haha
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I already posted this somewhere else so I'm sorry in advance. Anyways, I bought drymistat tubes which are like 10 bucks a piece and so far they have been doing really well. They are clear tubes with wierd gel pieces in it that you fill with distilled water and set them in there. I really like that there is a fill line and a "add more water" line that make them easy to use. Of course there is no wrong answer.
    +1 to either Drymistat tubes or Heartfelt tubes; in a 20-count humi, that's all you need and those tubes will keep your RH just fine. Which to choose? Drymistat vs beads? Can't really go wrong with either one, since they both use distilled water, which is dirt cheap.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Congrats on taking the first big step in this relaxing hobby! Hope you stick around here on the forums as well. There are a lot of great guys on here with a ton of knowledge to share!!
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Good for you! I remember how exciting it was to get my first humidor and several cigars...now, it'll be a matter of time before you upgrade to a bigger humidor lol
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Glad to have you online with us. I use both the dri-mistat tubes and beads. I like the beads better but the tubes are cheap and work well. And like Sniper said they take up very little space. I've got one in a 100ct now that its fully seasoned and it lasts a very long time without refilling.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick2021:
    Good for you! I remember how exciting it was to get my first humidor and several cigars...now, it'll be a matter of time before you upgrade to a bigger humidor lol
    its so exciting but so anticlimactic.

"yes!!! i just go my humidor....

....now ill let it sit on my desk...

uh...

... wanna go fishing?"

most exciting passive box i ever owned though. the best part of my day is opening my humidor to check the RH and smell the sticks.

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    For the small humis the drymistat tubes work just great...for the larger 100-150 I think the beads are the bomb. Welcome to the hobby....I am anxious to see you post...Needing Larger Humi...help!!!
  • Haha. Thank you all for the input and congratulations!

I have been trying to convince my wife to let me get a box of Nubs...the Maduro 464T's have got to be my favorite cigar I have smoked so far, but I have also noticed I'm a bit of a maduro ****...

Anyway, thanks again for all the input and whatnot. I will definitely be around, and *hopefully* I'll be begging someone to help me find a cheap 300 count soon!

~Brian

PS- Just looked up the Drymistat website...so I just drop this thing in the box, right alongside my sticks? In a humi like mine (25-50 count, about 10Lx8Wx4H), where is the best place to put the Drymistat tube? Right in the middle?

PPS- Anyone know of any pocket cases big enough to hold the aforementioned Nubs? Most I have seen at my B&M don't come anywhere close to the 60 ring gauge of those things.
  • yea..just fill the tube up to the line that says to and wait a bit for it to absorb the water. Then just pop it in the humi wherever (as far as I can tell). THat should be it. You should be fine with one, but having two would make it even more stable humidity-wise and it will recover faster when you open it a billion times a day to stair at your sticks like I do.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Congrats brother! I remember getting mine and just how giddy I got....lol