Home Non Cigar Related

RoboCalling

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Don't know about you, but I am getting bombarded by robocalls...I get home from work everyday and there are at least 3 messages on the machine from some politician either talking about himself or some other guy. And last night was the last straw, I got a call from Phil Gingrey's office (my house rep) @ 8:30pm, and that is just too damn late in my house. I go to bed at 9 and get up at 5am, and also woke up my 5 month old. I WAS PISSED. Since he was my rep, I emailed him and told him to stop robocalling my house or he's gonna lose my vote, LOL....doubt it will do any good, but still...made me feel a little better....ok, I'm done with my rant.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the feeling. Last night I had a recording of Slick Willie, Monica's buddy, call my house at dinner time to stump for a candidate. It was one of several over the last few days.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I'm running for office and keep getting e-mails selling robocalls. I can't help but think they would do me more harm than good. The entire process started too early too, it's like a yard sign grave yard around here.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my wife for a long time worked for a company (that i wont name) that did a bunch of telemarketing. she is up on the laws. you can get added to the DNC list for those if you know how to do it. i dont remember off the top of my head but i will do my best to find out for you guys. we dont get to many calls at our house.
    The scary part is that I am already on a DNC list and I have an unlisted number. I don't know how I'm getting these calls.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    My mom is in a physical therapy unit for a few more weeks and every time i go to her house to pickup mail and things I check her answering machine and there are between 3 and 8 robocalls
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    The scary part is that I am already on a DNC list and I have an unlisted number. I don't know how I'm getting these calls.
    you are registered to vote. companies get around the DNC list by having a pre-existing relationship. since you willingly gave your number when you registered, this establishes a relationship. your political party has sold you out.
    dont feel too bad, im registered as an independent (no libertarian option in ohio for some reason, ill have to look into that) so i get calls from everyone.

edit: I talked to the wife and it seems that he DNC list does not apply to political candidates. so.... unless you feel like calling every single call center that is making those calls, you are SOL
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Driving me nuts, as well. Wife's got pneumonia, yesterday, finally got her coughing quit, house quiet, she's asleep, I go outside to try and get some stuff done and 3 robo-calls. Oh, and we're on the DNC, that's Do Not Call, not Democratic National Committee ;).
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Driving me nuts, as well. Wife's got pneumonia, yesterday, finally got her coughing quit, house quiet, she's asleep, I go outside to try and get some stuff done and 3 robo-calls. Oh, and we're on the DNC, that's Do Not Call, not Democratic National Committee ;).
    same here, I just re-registered my number..but I doubt it will help.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The simple answer? Do what my wife and I did - s#itcan the landline. We each have a cell phone and nothing more. Amazing how peaceful it is around our house - particularly around dinner time when the landline was guaranteed to ring.

Marty

kuzi16:
    YankeeMan:
    you are registered to vote. companies get around the DNC list by having a pre-existing relationship. since you willingly gave your number when you registered, this establishes a relationship. your political party has sold you out.
    dont feel too bad, im registered as an independent (no libertarian option in ohio for some reason, ill have to look into that) so i get calls from everyone.

edit: I talked to the wife and it seems that he DNC list does not apply to political candidates. so.... unless you feel like calling every single call center that is making those calls, you are SOL
    That's must be the answer. I'm an Independent and not enrolled in any party. Well, one more week to go and this nonsense is over.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I used to get those calls. Then I noticed that was the only thing my house phone was used for, so I got rid of it. I don't think I've had a house phone for almost 4 years now. Don't miss it one bit.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I get a ton of them at work... I just transfer them to random extensions lol

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    I get a ton of them at work... I just transfer them to random extensions lol

lol

I used to put sales reps on hold after the'd come on the line from an auto-dialer(kinda the same as a robocaller) , then go out to the shop and work a few hours before I went to check on them. No robocalling problems now. No more landline, no more problems.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I got rid of my landline and went to cell phone only a few years back. I get an occational call here or there on my cell phone for telmarketing. When this happens I always give them the same line.
    "How did you get this #? Who gave it to you? Where are you? I need you and your supervisors name. This is a government secure line not open to the general public and we are going to trace your number."
    Haven't had anyone make it past the last line yet. They never call back either....weird!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I've always wanted to do something like this:

Hello?

Yes, can I speak with Tom Mabe?

Who’s calling?

This is Mike ____. You’ve been selected to receive a free digital satellite system. With this—

Let me ask you something. Were you a friend of Mr. Mabe?

No, I’m just calling to offer—

Hold that thought. [Speaking to someone else.] Get pictures of the body, and dust for prints. [Back to caller] Mike, you there? Let me bring you up to speed. You’ve called a murder scene. Mr. Mabe is no longer with us. I’m Officer Clark. I’m conducting a homicide investigation. What was the nature of your business with Mr. Mabe?

I … I had no business with him. I’m sorry to have bothered you—

I want to ask you to stay on the phone. This call has already been traced, and we may need you to come in for questioning.

No, you don’t understand. I’m just—

No, you don’t understand—unless you want to be charged with obstruction of justice, it is imperative that you keep your *** on the phone.

How about you just talk with my supervisor—

We’ll get to your supervisor. First, give me your whereabouts.

Forty West __, Littleton, Colorado.

[Speaking to someone else.] Get the Littleton Police Department on the phone. Tell them that he’s being sought in connection with a fatal shooting.

You’re calling the Littleton Police? I’m hundreds of miles away! I don’t even know the guy.

It’s just a formality. Now, where were you last night between the hours of eight and ten?
    I’m not feeling comfortable about any of this.
    this guy is hilarious http://www.tommabe.com/

"Long ashes my friends."

• Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Krieg:
    I've always wanted to do something like this:

Hello?

Yes, can I speak with Tom Mabe?

Who’s calling?

This is Mike ____. You’ve been selected to receive a free digital satellite system. With this—

Let me ask you something. Were you a friend of Mr. Mabe?

No, I’m just calling to offer—

Hold that thought. [Speaking to someone else.] Get pictures of the body, and dust for prints. [Back to caller] Mike, you there? Let me bring you up to speed. You’ve called a murder scene. Mr. Mabe is no longer with us. I’m Officer Clark. I’m conducting a homicide investigation. What was the nature of your business with Mr. Mabe?

I … I had no business with him. I’m sorry to have bothered you—

I want to ask you to stay on the phone. This call has already been traced, and we may need you to come in for questioning.

No, you don’t understand. I’m just—

No, you don’t understand—unless you want to be charged with obstruction of justice, it is imperative that you keep your *** on the phone.

How about you just talk with my supervisor—

We’ll get to your supervisor. First, give me your whereabouts.

Forty West __, Littleton, Colorado.

[Speaking to someone else.] Get the Littleton Police Department on the phone. Tell them that he’s being sought in connection with a fatal shooting.

You’re calling the Littleton Police? I’m hundreds of miles away! I don’t even know the guy.

It’s just a formality. Now, where were you last night between the hours of eight and ten?
    I’m not feeling comfortable about any of this.
    this guy is hilarious http://www.tommabe.com/
    Ya but I can never get them to stay on the phone long enough LMAO