Home Cigar 101

Doing the salt test on my hygrometer, have a few questions

I am doing the salt test on the analog hygrometer and have a few questions. I "googled" the salt test and printed it out. It states to DAMPEN the salt in a cap or other small device. My first question is, I think I put more water than what would be considered dampened. Would I get an inaccurate reading if I have a little more water than is required. Should there be no air in the sealable bag, should it almost be "vaccuumed" out? Thank you in advance Chris

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yes and no, in order. Too much water will give you an inaccurate reading, and there should be air in the bag.

Oh, and welcome. I forgot to chime in on the other thread.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the way i look at it is it should be just shy of a salt and water "paste"
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    You guys ever have your digital hygro lock on about 90? I tried to re-calibrate my hygro and now it's locked on 90. Is there a way to reset these things or did I just screw the thing up...?
    take the battery out. start over.

sometimes there is a reset button on the back that you need a paperclip to get to.

good luck...
    thanks kuzi, seems that the battery needs to be out for a while for it to reset... it seems to have knocked it out of it's stubborness, wonder why the thing locked up..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Gremlins.
    urbino:
    Gremlins.
    lol, yeah that's it! You know I now have it showing 80.. I might just have to send it back and get a new one.. maybe it's defective... sigh..
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I have a salt question for the esteemed experts here - I got a new digital hygrometer to replace my crappy one and a pound 65 percent beads from heartfelt. So I wanted to calibrate the hygrometer. I put it in a relatively small bag and put in the cap with salt and very small amount of water. Waited about 12 hours, and the hygrometer read 69 percent. I did this about three or four times - and was getting 69 percent every time. Then I moved to a larger ziplock bag and did it again and get 75 percent. I left air in both of the different sized bags I used. I don't remember reading that size (lassy, this is an invitation) matters. Does it? Can I trust the 75 percent I got with the larger bag?
    i would at first. throw it in the humi. if its pegged at 65% (your beads are 65%) then you're good. if its at 59% then you know the first one is right. all in all, if your cigars smoke right then your RH is right.

if you have a medium bag then give that a shot.
    it would be funny if it came back 72%.

Glad to hear your hygro works, mine is off about 11.... I'm a little miffed..
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i would at first. throw it in the humi. if its pegged at 65% (your beads are 65%) then you're good. if its at 59% then you know the first one is right. all in all, if your cigars smoke right then your RH is right.

if you have a medium bag then give that a shot.
    it would be funny if it came back 72%.

good point...mabye I was overthinking this. thanks, Kuzi.