Home Cigar 101

Getting a new humidor, need help on choosing some humidification.

Long time reader but first time poster here, but I have a slight problem in choosing a humidification product for a humi I'm getting.

My old humi was sealed worse than a sieve, it failed the dollar bill test miserably and the humidity ranged anywhere from 80% to 60%. I don't store expensive cigars in there, mostly 5 Vegas, but I have an order of Padilla Obsidians on the way and I don't want to screw those babies up.

Basically I need to get the climate right in a 25 count humi and don't know whether or not to go with beads, a hockey puck or http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=M-HMC06 (I know it links to a competitor, but I couldn't find it anywhere else, so let the flogging begin)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Garen, First of all welcome.. Next yes, it is frowned upon to mention other websites here at Cigar.com..Beads seem to be the favored method of humidification here. As well as water pillows which seem to work well for others. A google search will assist you in finding anything you can think of if it can't be gotten here. Now for your punishment you must write " Cigar.com is the only place I will ever shop for all my smoking needs" ala Bart Simpson's after school detention.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Dang, well then I'll just have to get on that and buy a Nub sampler for extra credit punishment. :D
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would go with the beads from heartfelt. i like those because they have 65% RH beads and thats where I like to keep my humi's humidity.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BTW

nice GIR

-whats the "G" stand for?

-I dont know.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I second the recommendation for heartfelt beads. I have a pound in my coolerdor, I have to recharge it once a month maybe. never had too much luck with green foam hockey pucks, they dont keep humidity well and I have had them get moldy.
    Thanks for the help guys, ended up going with the 65% heartfelts, now its just a matter of waiting till everything shows up.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Let us know how it works out. Im intereste in switching over to beads.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Just a note about the beads, use way more than what you need. For example, if you need 2 ounces to cover the volume of your humidor, then use 5 ounces. I've struggled with beads in my humidor and my main problem, as I'm coming to find, is that I'm simply not using enough of them.
    Now you got me a bit worried joe, because I bought a puck of beads, but it said that it covered 540 cubic inches, and if the humi coming in is around the same size as the one I have already, it should cover it by about 220 cubic inches. Hopefully I won't have to go and get a bag or 2 on top of the puck.
    I wouldn't worry too much. First, it will cover the volume, you just may have to recharge the beads more often. Second, you can always buy more beads if the need arises.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I use a bunch of different types of devices. In my Prometheous humidor (the don carlos 30th anniversary) I use the prometheous device. It is a retangular green spongy type. Works great. Always betwen 65 and 70 depending on how long it's been since I filled it.

I use a puck in one humidor. I use the glass gell stuff in two. Actually, my one humidor has a rectangular type on top (not sponge, not sure what it is. Got it at a local B&M. The material is white inside a black plastic shell) and the glass filled gell on the bottom under the tray. Stays around 70. That humidor is soooooo packed that I needed two devices. One humidor has just one glass filled gell. One has the same gell but in a tube. My newest humidor is using a rectangular sponge type with a pillow below.

I have never heard of beads until I started browsing this forum.
    Just an update, everything came in today, humi passed the dollar bill test, seasoning right now, figured out I have too many cigars so I'm going to have to alleviate that problem :) My only concern was that the cigars that I bought in addition to everything else sat in a metal box that probably got to over 100 degrees for 2 days. This was due to a huge snafu on the mailman's part, basically I am wondering if the huge temp shifts affect the flavor of the cigars.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I think they'll be fine, Garen, unless we're talking waaaay over 100.
    Garen B:
    Just an update, everything came in today, humi passed the dollar bill test, seasoning right now, figured out I have too many cigars so I'm going to have to alleviate that problem :) My only concern was that the cigars that I bought in addition to everything else sat in a metal box that probably got to over 100 degrees for 2 days. This was due to a huge snafu on the mailman's part, basically I am wondering if the huge temp shifts affect the flavor of the cigars.
    I don't think it will affect the flavors/taste of the cigars as much as the construction of the cigars.. If they didn't swell, crack, or unwrap you should be fine.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I know lots folks on here are big fans of heartfelt and I ordered a pound of 65 percent myself. But the new B&M I visited tonight was big on boveda packs. Anyone familiar with that product, have any pros/cons? They're cheap and you do nothing but change them every two months.
    Heartfelt is a great company, with fine products and service .I would recommend this company to everyone . I don't know anything about Boveda, but with Heartfelt you just recharge them ( rarely) and do not need to replace them.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I used the boveda seasoning kit to season my first humi. They're fine but over time will add up to a lot of money as you have to constantly replace them. For a decent sized humi u are looking at 3 - 5 packs at a time.
  • nudienudie Posts: 112
    well reading through this my question wasnt answered.... what would be a suggested method and quantity for a 400 ct humidor?... 1.8 cuft
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    For my cabinet I use an electronic humidifier. it checks humidity every 30 sec, is able to be calibrated, and can connect 3 external fans to it. It work great. havnt had a problem ( with the exception of one fan buring out, but those r cheap)
    computer type fans?... i see the electro they have here.. dont see any fans.. unless youre speaking of an additional unit... battery powered? or run the cord to the wall?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Wow you guys dug up some old a$$ posts to get the answer ....... all you had to do is ask ...... resurecting these hold threads can stir the pot sometimes and bring the original poster back to a time they would normally have forgotten
    nudie:
    well reading through this my question wasnt answered.... what would be a suggested method and quantity for a 400 ct humidor?... 1.8 cuft
    Well, you can get just the right amount, or you can be like me and over shoot it. I keep a half pound sack in my 300 count and it works quite nicely. For 1.8 cu. feet, you'd need roughly 6 ounces, but it's better to go over than under...if you read back to one of my posts in this thread, you'll see that I tried to use just what was needed and it failed miserably...now I shoot for the moon and my humidity is very stable.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    nudie:
    Well, you can get just the right amount, or you can be like me and over shoot it. I keep a half pound sack in my 300 count and it works quite nicely. For 1.8 cu. feet, you'd need roughly 6 ounces, but it's better to go over than under...if you read back to one of my posts in this thread, you'll see that I tried to use just what was needed and it failed miserably...now I shoot for the moon and my humidity is very stable.

Very true. As soon as I had more beads than recommended the humidity level became MUCH more stable.
    i ended up getting 5 cans of beads.. hopefully this will do... i also got about 6 pillows laying around if i need them
    nudie:
    i ended up getting 5 cans of beads.. hopefully this will do... i also got about 6 pillows laying around if i need them

Cans? Where did you buy canned beads from?
    jar/can gel/beads whatever
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    nightmaremike31:
    j0z3r:
    nudie:

Very true. As soon as I had more beads than recommended the humidity level became MUCH more stable.
    Yup, I run two pounds of beads in my Coolerdor. It is one of those 4 ft. long Coleman coolers which are used on boats to store freshly caught fish. Two pounds works great and my RH swing is never more then the + / - 2% each way they advertize.
    nudie:
    jar/can gel/beads whatever

lol

BEADS

GEL

sorta close lol whatever floats your boat
  • This is fantastic news! Sharon has tremdous talent - and I am so glad she will share that with us! Getting a new humidor, need help on choosing some humidification is a very nice topic and article.....
    kingjk729:
    Wow you guys dug up some old a$$ posts to get the answer ....... all you had to do is ask ...... resurecting these hold threads can stir the pot sometimes and bring the original poster back to a time they would normally have forgotten
    Whoa, blast from the past, at least I got props for the GIR avatar. And now I'm not much of a NUB fan anymore, tastes really do change :)