Home Cigar 101

Cold weather

Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
How do you guys protect your smokes from the cold weather? I noticed my cigars are getting too hard. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Pacman84:
    How do you guys protect your smokes from the cold weather? I noticed my cigars are getting too hard. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
    Cold is not a problem, unless you are aging. WHere is your humi kept? Just place it in an area where you supply heat for your own comfort and you will be fine.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep it on top of my dresser away from the windows. I was just worries that my smokes would get too hard and the wrapper to crack.
    Pacman84:
    I keep it on top of my dresser away from the windows. I was just worries that my smokes would get too hard and the wrapper to crack.
    Are you sure you are talking about the hardness from cold and not a humidity issue? Do you know what your RH is and how sure are you of your Hygrometer's calibration? If it is definetley a temperature issue then anywhere where you are confortable will be a good place for your humi. Your sticks may be getting hard from drying out, that can happen too. Just a heads up. Not saying that is your problem.
    The humidity is around 67-68. The hygro is calibrated so there's no problem with that. I guess I'm worrying over nothing.
    Pacman84:
    The humidity is around 67-68. The hygro is calibrated so there's no problem with that. I guess I'm worrying over nothing.
    Yup, you sound good to go bro'. Sometimes hard sticks are just the way they are made too. Most AJ Fernandez sticks will feel hard, but will still draw and burn perfectly.
    Thanks for the help laker.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the only way i protect my cigars from the cold is by keeping a close eye on the RH. cold air dos nto hold moisture as well as warm air. this makes winter air dry. though your house may be warm, the air in it is still dry and sucks up all the humidity from your humidor.

if you have a room humidifier you may see less of this. some swear by it.

i just keep an eye on the RH and recharge the beads every few days.
    kuzi16:
    the only way i protect my cigars from the cold is by keeping a close eye on the RH. cold air dos nto hold moisture as well as warm air. this makes winter air dry. though your house may be warm, the air in it is still dry and sucks up all the humidity from your humidor.

if you have a room humidifier you may see less of this. some swear by it.

i just keep an eye on the RH and recharge the beads every few days.
    I live on an island... I have no use for a humidifier. In the winter the RH here is wet instead of high. LOL.

I could sell you a good de-humidifier cheap. All this swinging RH stuff is the one big reason I got into a coolerdor. They help maintain temp. and certainly help keep the RH swings down to little more then a few points in either direction.

If anyone lives in an area where you have unusual temperature patterns, (island, desert, that sort of thing) you need to get yourself a coolerdor, it will go a long way to solving a lot of these problems. Well them and lots of beads.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I used a room humidifier last year and it worked great