Home Cigar 101

Bad luck

PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
Just lit on a nice aged Centurian i was sent. After a lighting it, i put it down for a sec and it dies out. Upon inspection, i find a cavern in this bad boy, and used a qtip to find out how bad. The pic isnt great, but width wise it was at least half empty, and went about 3/4 inch deep. Found no bugs, and my humi looks good, so it must be a bad roll. Has this happened to anyone else? Photobucket

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a bum stick. I've never had a Centurian tunnel that badly so fast before. Might be a roller having a bad day, but I'd suggest going through the humidor just in case for bugs. Also, what's the humidity in your humidor? If it's too high, that might explain it.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    It wasn't even a bad burn, it was plain old empty there. it was a few sec after light up. No bugs, my box has been given the all clear. My RH stays at about 68-70%
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had that happen too, I reckon it's a construction issue that probably isn't easily caught. I was smoking an Oliva Serie V maduro 2008 and upon lighting it wasn't putting off much smoke and was burning funny, so I knocked the ash to investigate and found all the problems were caused by a small, 1/8" diameter hollow spot. Amazing to think that such a small defect can have such broad effects.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I personally have had my fair share of burn issues with Centurians in the past. Something about the construction on those perfectos. I have found that they perform best with BOTH ends cut. But yeah, you either got a bum stick, or one with a humidity issue.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I've had that happen too, I reckon it's a construction issue that probably isn't easily caught. I was smoking an Oliva Serie V maduro 2008 and upon lighting it wasn't putting off much smoke and was burning funny, so I knocked the ash to investigate and found all the problems were caused by a small, 1/8" diameter hollow spot. Amazing to think that such a small defect can have such broad effects.
    I know what you mean Joe... One small defect in a c0ndom can have some serious effects.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    I know what you mean Joe... One small defect in a c0ndom can have some serious effects.
    haha, nice. Makes a defect in a cigar seem like nothing at all.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    Great analogy lol Will have to remember that one...on a serious note, sorry to hear about the Centurian. Almost sounds like a construction issue rather than bugs....the good thing is nothing else was affected!