Home Cigar 101

Herf-A-Dor Foam...Leave in or take out?

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and have started taking up cigar smoking. A lot of people here are doing the tuper-dore thing but I went and bought a 40 count Herf-a-dor and filled it with 2 different brands of cigars. I was wondering, will the humidifying puck keep the ones at the bottom humidified through all 3 layers of foam? Should I keep the foam in or take it out and have them in there loose and only use the foam while actually traveling. I have 4-5 months left until I go home so right now it is just sitting on my desk.

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    If you need the room you can take the foam out, but it wont hinder the humidity from reaching the cigars. The foam is just intended to keep the cigars stationary while traveling, but it is so porous that it wont hurt anything. My thoughts though, take out the foam so you can buy more sticks!
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    To each his own. I like the foam inserts because it keeps the cigars in place while traveling.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    To combine what the others have said and add one more little bit, take out the foam if you need the room, but if not, and especially when traveling, leave it in. It will keep the sticks stationary and safe.

As far as humidification goes, I would not use the florist foam in there. I would either use a couple humidipacks or beads in tubes. They will keep the humidity much more stable, IME.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I would also consider putting some beads in there if you can fit them. The little puck may or may not not do the trick. I've just had bad luck with those things. I have taken ( on the advice of another BOTL) a medicine container (like a prescription you got from the pharmacy would come in) and drilled a bunch of holes in it and put the beads in there. You won't need much for a Her-A -Dor. BTW. Thank you for your service.
  • I have that same travel humidor. It doesn't take much to keep it at the right humidity. Any of the suggestions listed above will work. I use two of the #72 Humipacks and they work great. I haven't noticed the foam getting in the way at all as far as the humidity reaching the lower levels so, it's up to you if you want the foam in there or not. They do help greatly with protection though if you are a hard traveler. Good luck and thanks for your service. CM
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Keep the foam in, it will protect your sticks and you probably arent going to be able to fit any more sticks in there with the foam removed.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    When I travel I leave the foam in for the stated reason but if I am just throwing a stick in for later that day I don't normally use the foam. Also I don't use the little puck that comes with the herf. I throw a water pillow in with my cigars.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i had a 10 count herf and i used a water pillow in mine and not the foam. if not stated before the foam is a mold site waiting to happen. as well if not stated grab an extra cigar tube poke holes in it and fill it with beads. works great
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    No sense letting that bot have the last word! Bannish his rrrsse!