Home Cigar 101

Tip cracked

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
So I received a new cigar Tuesday and when I checked on it this morning, the new one had a slice/crack in the top of the tip.

I searched around a bit and if I understand correctly, a little variance in humidity is fine - like from 70 - 72%.

I'm not sure if my problem is the stick or my humi. I have a couple of others and they seemed fine though. I'm going to cut off that part anyway but not sure if should be concerned. Thanks.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    did it crack when you cut it?
    was there a huge temperature change in addition to a humidity change?
    did you inspect it when you got it or only the day after?
    what brand of cigar was it?
    is your humidor full?
    if it a crack in the cap or does it extend to the wrapper?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    kuzi16:
    is your humidor full?
    Sorry for the dumb question. I have not cut the cigar yet.
    None that I know of, stayed around 70-73 F
    yes and I don't remember seeing it cracked/cut
    no, I'm at about 20% capacity on a 100 count
    just the very top of the tip. I checked again and the other non cello's are fine so I think it's just the cigar itself.
    I'm getting some crystals delivered in the next couple of days so I hope that will help once I put those in and toss the puck. thanks for the help.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    When you say the tip, do you mean the foot or the head? The foot cracking is a much less serious problem than the head cracking.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    kuzi16:
    is your humidor full?
    Sorry for the dumb question. I have not cut the cigar yet.
    None that I know of, stayed around 70-73 F
    yes and I don't remember seeing it cracked/cut
    no, I'm at about 20% capacity on a 100 count
    just the very top of the tip. I checked again and the other non cello's are fine so I think it's just the cigar itself.
    I'm getting some crystals delivered in the next couple of days so I hope that will help once I put those in and toss the puck. thanks for the help.
    not a dumb question at all actually. this is a frustrating situation and there are a host of factors that may not be obvious. this is why i responded with so many return questions. we have all been where you are right now.

what shape of cigar is it? if its a torpedo then there i VERY good chance that you shouldnt worry about it at all. the only thing i see in your list of answers that is only mildly concerning is that the humidor is only 20% full.
    get some more smokes in there and the humidity will be much easier to regulate. it will not fluctuate nearly as much.

in all likely hood, there was a tiny flaw in the cap of the cigar and when you set it down head first at some point that you thought nothing of it, the flaw showed its ugly head. these are natural products made by human beings. people arent perfect. neither are cigars.
    ive seen many cracked heads in cigars. only a very few of them have caused any issue.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    docbp87:
    When you say the tip, do you mean the foot or the head? The foot cracking is a much less serious problem than the head cracking.
    The part you light is the foot, the part you put into your mouth is the head.... big difference here! Do you have a pic maybe? I dont think its a super big deal to worry about unless it running a significant lenght of the cigar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I forgot to mention this was the head. And it's just a slice. Thanks for all the advice. I'm just going to smoke that bad boy and not worry about it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    I forgot to mention this was the head. And it's just a slice. Thanks for all the advice. I'm just going to smoke that bad boy and not worry about it.
    Thats what I would do. Then, you won't worry about it anymore.