Home Ratings & Reviews

need some help

i'm looking at buying quite a few cigars i've never had and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what you thought about them and if they are worth buying or not:

-5 Vegas Series A- apotheosis 5.5x55
-5 Vegas Triple A-5x56
-Diesel- Unholy cocktal (belicoso)
-Diesel Unlimited- d.X(belicoso)
-Arturo Fuente God of Fire-Dominican Cameroon, Double Robusto
-Cohiba Red Dot- Robusto- overrated?
-I need a few recommendations on Gurkhas. never had one.
-Padilla?

thats about all i can think of. i know that wont use up all of the money i've saved up for cigars so feel free to make a few recommendations on others not listed up there. The probability of me having tried a cigar you might recommend will be pretty low.

is this the wrong forum?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    5 Vegas A - Cheap and tasty. Milk chocolate, coffee, and earth that transitions into dark chocolate, espresso, and coffee beans. I prefer the Archetype vitola though.

5 Vegas Triple A - Never had it.

Diesel Unholy Cocktail - Very dark and earthy. Had a bit of sweet spice to it though. Dark chocolate and espresso. Very cheap and affordable as well.

Diesel Unlimited - Sweet tobacco, wood, spice, and LOTS of pepper. Very good and affordable, but NEVER smoke this on an empty stomach.

AF God of Fire - Never had one. Probably will never be able to afford it :(

Cohiba Red Dot - Woody and sweet, with a hint of honey. Not worth the price. The pequenos, however, are good, affordable short smokes though.

For Gurkhas, I love a lot of their blends. I recommend the Centurian, Black Dragon, Legend, Symphony, Viper, Ninja, Cuban Legacy, and Park Avenue. There's still a lot that I haven't tried.

For Padilla, I love most of their blends. Best one in my opinion is the Padilla Miami. I also suggest the Dominus and 1932. The Hybrid is an affordable, tasty smoke too. Padilla Habano is a spicy, starchy smoke. The Achilles is the only one I'm not too crazy about.

My best suggestions though, would be to try AJ's stuff if you haven't already. Everything in the Man O' War line is great. I just had the San Miguel and it's the only sumatra wrapper cigar that I've ever liked. CAO also made some really tasty ones. The America, Brazilia, and Italia are great.

I would also suggest any of the maduro Padron or anything from Camacho.

Tatuaje, though...good cigars, big price tag, and mostly over-hyped.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    ellinas:
    i'm looking at buying quite a few cigars i've never had and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what you thought about them and if they are worth buying or not: -5 Vegas Series A- apotheosis 5.5x55 -5 Vegas Triple A-5x56 -Diesel- Unholy cocktal (belicoso) -Diesel Unlimited- d.X(belicoso) -Arturo Fuente God of Fire-Dominican Cameroon, Double Robusto -Cohiba Red Dot- Robusto- overrated? -I need a few recommendations on Gurkhas. never had one. -Padilla? thats about all i can think of. i know that wont use up all of the money i've saved up for cigars so feel free to make a few recommendations on others not listed up there. The probability of me having tried a cigar you might recommend will be pretty low. is this the wrong forum?
    My thoughts on those are:

5 Vegas is a rock solid brand. The A and the AAA both do well with age. The more the better.

Diesel is another solid label. The DX Unlimited is my favorite of the lot. Good if you're into spicy/peppery habanos.

Hard to go wrong with GOF.

In general I'm not a fan of the dominican cohibas. I was unimpressed with the red dot.

The three gurkhas I'd say to try are the Legend, Regent, and the Centurian. The have others that are good, but those three are probably the best.

I like the Padilla '32, and '68. That's actually a brand I don't have a ton of experience with.

As far as other recommendations....well, what cigars have you really liked so far?
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    well there are a bunch i like...but the ones i REALLY like are:
    -cain f
    -opus x
    -ashston esg
    -el triumfador
    -camacho triple maduro
    -man o war (havent had ruination or armada yet)
    rocky patel edge & edge lite

and thats about it...i've only been smoking for a year and the only cigars i bought were there ones offered in the store i go to. i just recently started ordering from ccom (like a week ago). i seem to like cigars with a habano wrapper
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Ok, that makes life easier. Off the top of my head I'd say:

Ruination Robusto #1
    Padilla '32 Torp
    Joya de Nic Antano Belicoso
    Oliva Serie V
    Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte Madrid
    San Lotano Habano Toro
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet

Those are a few of my favorites. There's a ton of good cigars out there, and I could put a lot more up there if I had time.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im on the other side of the fence, I avoid most of the 5 vegas line entirely.

I just dont like em - of course thats my tastes here.
    The others you listed are good, but Id also avoid the Ghurkas too, there are just so many of those blends that its tough to find the one you like right off.
    I would highly suggest the Diesels or even try one of the AJ samplers they have available here.
    Pretty much most of AJ and Don Pepin Garcia (DPG) cigars are really good. and most of their blends are fairly budget friendly.

If you dont mind the $ of the GOF, it is a GREAT cigar! Ive only had the GOF Don Carlos 2006 robusto a couple times, but both were GREAT!.
    If a cigar can be worth that much then this is one of the ones that are worht it.
    Also if your going super premium/Premium try an Ashton Cabinet, Heritage or VSG - All really good and a significant step up from the cigars you listed here.
    Others may also suggest Davidoff, but I havent had any of their blends!

Dont forget this is all MY OPINION, everyone has different tastes!

• Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without spending a ton of money...my 2 favorite brands that are always good would have to be Comacho and 262. Oops, I almost forgot the Alec Bradley line.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Just throwing my opinion up here too.

Man you can't go wrong with Diesel, but I would agree with people here who suggest maybe trying the AJ sampler thats out there. That way you get to try several of AJs blends and find out what you like. The Two you listed though, the unholy cocktail and Unlimited Belicosos are my favorites of the bunch.

Also, don't overlook anything by Don Pepin Garcia, the Original is probably my favorite all around cigar, but I've never had a bad pepin. San Cristobal, La Aroma de Cuba, Tabaccos Baez. All fantastic.

And as far as Gurkha, I'd agree that there are too many that its impossible for me to figure out whats what, but I have burned through a few boxes of the Masters select perfecto. Very good cigar. The Regent is a good cigar as well.

And as far as everything else goes, one of the things that I try to do when I'm trying out a new line, is start with their original blend and see what their about. Then diverge into their other lines. You mentioned the Opus X and God of Fire. Thoser are pretty high end Fuentes. If I we're you, I'd start with their original Blend, the Hemmingway and maybe go to a Don Carlos. That way you get a good feel for the types of flavors that brand prides themselves on so you know what to look for with the higher end lines like the Opus X and god of Fire. The original Fuente blend was the cigar that made me realize that I really like smoking cigars. That was around 8 years ago. So I'm partial to the brand, but like many here have never tried an Opus X or God of Fire.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Enjoy the ride man.
  • -The Padilla Miami is a really nice stick
    - I really liked that Vegs A series and the Gold.
    - Just finished a Rocky Patel Sun Grown and was very pleased.
    - Tke Man of War Virtue and Ruination are great too..

I'm still learning and sampling..I have been buying the sample deals..I just added the Rocky Patels and the Romeo Y Julieta. I haven't tryed the Romoes yet...