Home Non Cigar Related

Any Wine Fans?

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Just curious if we have any wine enthusiasts around here. I have never been a big wine drinker but I have found myself enjoying it a lot more lately and I've been exploring this a bit more. A couple of my favorites lately have been Curley Head Cab and Razor's Edge Shiraz.

I am planning to go out this weekend and try to locate a few bottles of the Arizona Stronghold line. This is a brand made by the lead singer of the band Tool, Maynard James Keenan, and I have been reading and hearing some good things about it. I do have a bottle of 2006 Chupacabra, from his Merkin Vinyards release at his vineyard in California, but I haven't tried it yet.

Anyone else around here a fan of wine? If so have you tried any of the Arizona Stronghold, Merkin Vinyards, or Caduceus wines? And what are some of your favorite wines?

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I was a box of wine under each arm kinda guy, drinker but not conniseiur.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I was a box of wine under each arm kinda guy, drinker but not conniseiur.
    lol I thought about doing the title of this post, " Any Winos in the House??" lmao
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Drank a 2008 Mouton Cadet last night (Bordeaux) that was very good. Highly recommended as an every day/normal meal bottle of Bordeaux. Goes for around $11.00/bottle here.

Yes. I love wine. It is my third love (after Whisky and Cigars).
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    My wife is a big wine fan, we bought a bunch of New Mexico wines the other day when we went shopping...bought her a wine cooler as a present when I returned home :)
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I am.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Both my wife and I are. Living in California just feeds to wino fuel too. Probably one of the few good things about this state.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Living in California just feeds to wino fuel too. Probably one of the few good things about this state.
    +1. Living smack dab in the middle of 5 renowned wine areas really spoils me here in CA... I have been looking into home winemaking recently, and may take that up sometime soon.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I love a nice dry red wine; not too big a fan of white's though, mostly because almost everyone I've tried is either tart or fruity, neither of which I care for.

I've been trying like hell to get my hands on a Chateau St. Emilion, 1995 Simard for a gift, so if anyone knows where I can get a good price (around $30/bottle), please let me know - I'd like to get a case of it if I can.

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Agree with macro...I'm a fan of reds, not whites. I like too many to name, but am a fan of anything that is very dry. I like chianti, beaujolais, cab, etc. That being said, I like wine, but I don't know anything about it. If I had more time and money, I would like to become more an enthusiast.
    Well much to my surprise, the first place I went to look for some of the Arizona Stronghold wine actually had several bottles of the "Tazi" which is their blended white wine. I'll be taking this with me for Thanksgiving with the family and I'm looking forward to trying it!
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Over the weekend we opened a bottle of 2006 Bogle Phantom. It's a mix of petite sirah, old vine zin and old vine mourverde. Very nice. Lots of ripe plum and some spice and earth notes.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    I love a nice dry red wine; not too big a fan of white's though, mostly because almost everyone I've tried is either tart or fruity, neither of which I care for.

I've been trying like hell to get my hands on a Chateau St. Emilion, 1995 Simard for a gift, so if anyone knows where I can get a good price (around $30/bottle), please let me know - I'd like to get a case of it if I can.

a big +1 on thoe and I'll check my shops X, I also do love Curley Head Cab and Razor's Edge Shiraz and there was this Italian white I had last year that I absolutely fell in love with and still have an unopened bottle but I'm not at the Casa so I'll have to get back with the name
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy several Red wines, the only white I'm really fond of is Kabinett, available from several German wineries. However, I rarely find a wine that matches well with a cigar. No meeting of the tastes, at least for me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i'm not officially old enough to drink in america but in Greece it is common to give three year olds a glass of wine, which is where i was born and raised.....the only wine i drink is a Greek wine called Kourtaki and i prefer my wine to be white and room temperature. I'm not crazy about wine and i really don't know much about them
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Absolutely. Haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned though. I love reds in general; whites seem not to agree with me. Flooded a friend's bathroom once to find that out! St. Emilions and Pomerols are two of my favorite areas for Bordeauxs. I'm really looking for a good Pic St. Loup, from Languedoc-Rousillon; and, any good grenache varietals.

Also, anyone have recommendations for Spanish or Chilean wines?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i am a wine fan. however, i cant seem to find the same gusto for wines that i have for cigars. i have a hard time buying a bottle that is much more than $15.00
    i have had good wines but since i dont have the time and energy to put into them i dont understand them the way i would hope to. much like i felt about Davidoff cigars for a long time, the complexity of the better wines will be lost on me so i tend to buy some of the lower end stuff. but like cigars, i know what i like and generally speaking i like what i buy.

ive been leaning back to reds now that cooler weather is in the air, where in the summer i like whites. both on the dry side.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ellinas:
    i i prefer my wine to be white and room temperature.
    i also like my white wines at room temp. they seem to have so much more flavor. the chill seems to mute the flavor of whites to me
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    kuzi16:
    ellinas:
    i also like my white wines at room temp. they seem to have so much more flavor. the chill seems to mute the flavor of whites to me
    agreed
    ellinas:
    kuzi16:
    ellinas:
    agreed
    I'm with you guys on this one as well. When a wine is too cold you can't pick up on all the subtle flavors in it. I've always been more into red wines typically, but I am looking forward to a nice white wine with Thanksgiving dinner this weekend.

I guess what is driving me towards trying more wine is the fact that it reminds me of cigars in the way that you can pick up notes of orange, flowers, earth, and other fruits and flavors from juice squeezed from a grape. Much like picking up hints of coffee, chocolate, earth, nuts...etc...etc... from tobacco leaves. I guess a good scotch is the same way, and that's why I enjoy it so much as well.