Home General Discussion

Check out my ash crack! PICS!

OK fellas, this happened to me for the first time a couple weeks ago, with a 601 Black (first two pics below). Thought it was weird, so I took pics but never got around to posting them.

Today, the exact same thing happened - this time with a Ccom Brazilian Label (second two pics below). In neither case did it affect the smoke at all, just thought it was strange!

What could cause such a thing?

Any thoughts gentlemen?

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    DPG blue sticks do that all the time for me. I'm guessing it's a split point where slower burning ligero is on either side with seco sandwiched in-between.

Ash crack fluff.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I was kinda afraid to click this thread....
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    idk much about cigars but if i had to guess it would be how the filler was put together, like bunched up or whatever
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The crack is from a beetle tunnel. Better send your sticks to me so I can thoroughly inspect them and take eradication measures.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    The crack is from a beetle tunnel. Better send your sticks to me so I can thoroughly inspect them and take eradication measures.
    DAMMIT Joe! Your first sentence gave me heart attack! LMAO!!! :-D

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Forget the ash crack, what are you doing reading Anne Rice?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    That's a good example of "flowering" actually. I have no idea what causes that, but it is really obnoxious.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:
    DAMMIT Joe! Your first sentence gave me heart attack! LMAO!!! :-D

I do what I can. No clue what causes it, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say maybe it has something to do with variances in the combustion rate of the different filler tobaccos. But since I have no clue, that remains at best a blind guess.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Garen B:
    Exactly what I was wondering too...So?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    +1. I don't see any cracked ash. I see a book that needs burning :P
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    wwhwang:
    Garen B:
    +1. I don't see any cracked ash. I see a book that needs burning :P
    2 on the ann rice as far as the crack goes I wonder if it could be from a vain in the wrapper that burns off and leaves the ash from burning together
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    I was kinda afraid to click this thread....
    lol
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I had something similar recently. What do y'all think of this? It went from the first 1/2 to the last third.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1...didn't want to see no ash crack..
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    KCW:
    I had something similar recently. What do y'all think of this? It went from the first 1/2 to the last third.

That just looks like tunneling to me, which is a humidity issue.
    Duder2:
    Garen B:
    Anne Rice has put out some REALLY good books over the years. I will admit however that if you're not the type of person who enjoys a writer who can sometimes take PAGES AND PAGES to describe a leaf on a tree, she isnt for you.

Gave up on her for a lot of years, but picked up the title you see in the pics on a whim, and it was REALLY good! I suggest you check it out sometime.

Also, if you havent read the Mayfair Witches books (starting with The Witching Hour), you have missed out. FIX IT! :-)

docbp87:
    KCW:

It came out of the same Humi all my other smokes come out of and this is the first time I ever saw this. Other than this it burned great.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have seen both conditions before and have no idea what causes it.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    KCW:
    docbp87:
    KCW:

It came out of the same Humi all my other smokes come out of and this is the first time I ever saw this. Other than this it burned great.
    Tunneling is usually a combo hmidity/construction issue.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    KCW:
    The same thing happened to me when I smoked a MOW Armada!! When I looked at the foot after knocking off some ash, there was just this hole - it wasn't tunneling, it was like there just wasn't any filler in that area, like the cigar rollar had left some filler out/left an air pocket in the middle of the cigar. This kinda thing has happened to me before, and it doesn't go all the way through the cigar, just part ways
    xmacro:
    KCW:
    The same thing happened to me when I smoked a MOW Armada!! When I looked at the foot after knocking off some ash, there was just this hole - it wasn't tunneling, it was like there just wasn't any filler in that area, like the cigar rollar had left some filler out/left an air pocket in the middle of the cigar. This kinda thing has happened to me before, and it doesn't go all the way through the cigar, just part ways
    Exactly..... This is the first time I've had it happen to me.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Jeezuz Sniper that there one side has seperated from the other side ... damn do I have to explain everything to you people !?!? ... seriously , no idea ;)
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    I couldnt wait to click on this thread...
    gmill880:
    Jeezuz Sniper that there one side has seperated from the other side ... damn do I have to explain everything to you people !?!? ... seriously , no idea ;)
    LOL Carolina love Gene - what would I do without ya? :-D

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    The Sniper:
    Duder2:
    Garen B:
    Anne Rice has put out some REALLY good books over the years. I will admit however that if you're not the type of person who enjoys a writer who can sometimes take PAGES AND PAGES to describe a leaf on a tree, she isnt for you.

Gave up on her for a lot of years, but picked up the title you see in the pics on a whim, and it was REALLY good! I suggest you check it out sometime.

Also, if you havent read the Mayfair Witches books (starting with The Witching Hour), you have missed out. FIX IT! :-)

I've been reading a ton lately, mostly Warhammer 40K stuff by Dan Abnett (Yeah, I'm a nerd) but I recommend Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia if you're a fan of B-movies, mythology, guns and humor. It's sarcastic as heck, isn't terribly deep but they kill vampires, werewolves and the like, overall a fun book.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've never looked at another man's ash crack before, this site really opens doors for me...

I checked out Anne Rice's house the last time I was in New Orleans, just months before Katrina hit. It was really cool, just what you might expect from her writing. The whole garden district was quite the neighborhood and it really felt like you were in one of her novels. Big live oaks on either side of the road with drooping branches reaching all the way across to each other and completely draped in spanish moss with above ground cemeteries all over. Really cool.
    bigharpoon:
    I've never looked at another man's ash crack before, this site really opens doors for me...

I checked out Anne Rice's house the last time I was in New Orleans, just months before Katrina hit. It was really cool, just what you might expect from her writing. The whole garden district was quite the neighborhood and it really felt like you were in one of her novels. Big live oaks on either side of the road with drooping branches reaching all the way across to each other and completely draped in spanish moss with above ground cemeteries all over. Really cool.
    Have never been to NOLA, but its on the bucket list. When I get down there, the garden district is a must-see! Wonder how badly Katrina tore everything up there tho... :-(