Home Non Cigar Related

ipsc, idpa, steel challenge

Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
Any of you guys into practical shooting?
Over in the uk we can’t have handguns so we have to use air pistols and bb guns, which is a pain in the ***.
But its still good fun and requires the same basic skills.
I can’t wait to give it a go with the real guns, i recently one a big steel challenge equivalent that had shooters from all over the country attending which was cool as it was my first major comp. Also topped my class in my first idpa equivalent comp the day after:p

Comments

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Really cool sol, sorry about the whole anti-gun situation in the UK. That would be fun with an XD45.
    My wife and I like to just shoot for fun, and of course I love to hunt.

My wife and I trap shot, she is great she called a guy on the range a pu$$y since he was shooting a .410, my wife owns three 12ga shotguns and is an awesome shot. She told him when he was ready to man up he should get himself a real shotgun. lol she is great!!!
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    that's cool bro! You need to come to the states we can even get license to carry here!!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I used to do USPSA 2 years ago, limited class. It was unspeakable amounts of fun and frustration. I quit only because it took up too much time. But tons of fun. There is almost zen in the discipline it takes.
  • sol1821:
    Any of you guys into practical shooting?

Over in the uk we can’t have handguns so we have to use air pistols and bb guns, which is a pain in the ***.

But its still good fun and requires the same basic skills.

I can’t wait to give it a go with the real guns, i recently one a big steel challenge equivalent that had shooters from all over the country attending which was cool as it was my first major comp. Also topped my class in my first idpa equivalent comp the day after:p
    >>>> I do compete in most of the forums. IDPA and Stee Plates is where I spend most of my efforts. Due to my age, the haigh movement run and guns are difficult for me to compete in with participants 35 years my junior. Do make up for most spped through accuracy. It is a fun way to spend a day, especially when I have a few of my grandkids participating with me. Many snicker when my one of my 12 year granddaughters go with me. They are not snickering when they kick butts!! Hey they have a good trainer )
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I love to shoot, but with formerly being on the road traveling all the time and now back in school full time, I don't have the time to shoot organized. If I am available when a place local to me has a range setup for a comp I do like to run through the different setups though. Keeps things fresh. I feel for you with the crazy firearms laws in the UK. However, take heart. I can't think of his name, but there is a shooter from Japan, IIRC, who is forced to practice with Airsoft all year, then comes over to the states for competition. Again, IIRC, he won his division a couple years ago

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, ShotgunJohn, but IMO the gun community needs less **** measuring and talking down to other shooters and more embracing of what anyone wants to shoot. In all reality, if I saw two 24s on the skeet range and one was shooting a 12 and the other a .410, I would think, all things being equal, the .410 shooter is likely the better shooter. I have shot all manner of firearm and am not recoil sensitive in the least. That said, I carry a 9mm Glock daily. It really doesn't phase me when someone else wants to spout off about "real calibers start with a '4'". Fact of the matter is all service handgun calibers suck about equally for stopping a threat. I can, however, have faster timed splits and carry more rounds with a 9. Those two things, combined with putting rounds where you intend them is far more important than caliber, which is way down the list of important things in a gunfight. Calibers have their niche, for the most part. I just have a big problem calling someone a *** for what they decide to shoot. Heaven forbid the guy had surgery or an ailment that means his choice is shoot .410 or don't shoot. I'm sure he really appreciated the comments

To me, someone's derogatory comments about what I shoot mean about as much as the gunshop commando's statements as to the ultimate carry package. However, for some shooters, dumb statements like that are enough to turn them off from the sport. I just wish folks who obviously enjoy shooting very much were better embassadors for it. :(
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I've been shooting 5-stand, sporting clays, skeet and trap for ages. It's enough of a challenge with a little 28-gauge, if he was hitting the targets with his .410 more power to him. It's not a goose, you don't need to blow it to smithereens with your 12 ;)
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    To me, someone's derogatory comments about what I shoot mean about as much as the gunshop commando's statements as to the ultimate carry package. However, for some shooters, dumb statements like that are enough to turn them off from the sport. I just wish folks who obviously enjoy shooting very much were better ambassadors for it. :(
    Well said buddy. +1 to the entire comment.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    Yer the gun laws suck. I think the government are doing a review of them at the moment after some nut went on a shooting spree with a shotgun, which will only end in even tighter restrictions.
    Fact is gun control in the uk is only allowing the criminals the guns.
    The amount of shooting crime in the uk with handguns is higher now than it was before the ban.
    Thing is if we were allowed license for concealed carry here, the nut with the shotgun wouldn’t have got as far as he did as I’m sure someone would have dropped him.

Shotguns are great fun as well, I’ve had a go at sporting clays with a 12g under/over, only thing is it works out at about $1.70 every time you pull the trigger :(
    One2gofst:
    Sorry to be a stick in the mud, ShotgunJohn, but IMO the gun community needs less **** measuring and talking down to other shooters and more embracing of what anyone wants to shoot. In all reality, if I saw two 24s on the skeet range and one was shooting a 12 and the other a .410, I would think, all things being equal, the .410 shooter is likely the better shooter. I have shot all manner of firearm and am not recoil sensitive in the least. That said, I carry a 9mm Glock daily. It really doesn't phase me when someone else wants to spout off about "real calibers start with a '4'". Fact of the matter is all service handgun calibers suck about equally for stopping a threat. I can, however, have faster timed splits and carry more rounds with a 9. Those two things, combined with putting rounds where you intend them is far more important than caliber, which is way down the list of important things in a gunfight. Calibers have their niche, for the most part. I just have a big problem calling someone a *** for what they decide to shoot. Heaven forbid the guy had surgery or an ailment that means his choice is shoot .410 or don't shoot. I'm sure he really appreciated the comments

To me, someone's derogatory comments about what I shoot mean about as much as the gunshop commando's statements as to the ultimate carry package. However, for some shooters, dumb statements like that are enough to turn them off from the sport. I just wish folks who obviously enjoy shooting very much were better embassadors for it. :(

I guess I left out the part that he was teasing her for being a "beaver" on the meat line.
    He felt differently after he saw her handle her 12 ga pump on continental 5 stand.
    I guess after reading the post and seeing it out of context, really made it seem like an a$$hole thing to do. This is just the normal ribbing that goes on at our range.
    I agree with you about the whole caliiber issue, as long as the shots go where you need them that's all that counts. I carry a XD 40 subcompact or a KAHR 40 daily and my wife carries a .32 tiny pistol that is accurate as hell, but doesn't fit my hand, the slide pinches after ejecting.
    sol1821:
    Yer the gun laws suck. I think the government are doing a review of them at the moment after some nut went on a shooting spree with a shotgun, which will only end in even tighter restrictions.
    Fact is gun control in the uk is only allowing the criminals the guns.
    The amount of shooting crime in the uk with handguns is higher now than it was before the ban.
    Thing is if we were allowed license for concealed carry here, the nut with the shotgun wouldn’t have got as far as he did as I’m sure someone would have dropped him.

Shotguns are great fun as well, I’ve had a go at sporting clays with a 12g under/over, only thing is it works out at about $1.70 every time you pull the trigger :(

I agree 100%.

Last year in Lakewood we had a nut (recently paroled felon), gun down 4 of our finest police officers in a coffee shop. I was glad when he was killed by a Seattle police officer a couple days later.

The state tried to exploit this issue by wanting to ban "assault weapons" and any weapon that held more than 10 rounds, they also tried lumping hunting rifles into assualt weapons. The truth is it was already illegal for the felon to posess the handgun he used.
    It pisses me off that the lawmakers try to make rash decisions based on nothing more than knee-jerk reactions a tragedy.
    If everyone that was eligible to conceal, actually did, criminals would think twice about victimizing citizens.
    I feel for you sol.
    Didn't I read recently that knife crimes were on the rise in the UK?
  • I used to shoot IDPA here in Nashville, at the TVA property Gallatin Gun club. I was a SS shooter in Stock service pistol..missed expert by a few seconds using my duty gear. The guy that got me into it is on our SWAT team and is a Master pistol shooter..it's fun to watch him shoot :)