Home Cigar 101

5 count herf a dor by humi care

i just got the 5 ct herf with a 5 stick sampler.I took the sticks out and put em in my humi.My question is when i need to use the herf is it ready to go as is? the reason i ask is without a hygrometer in there i dont know the humidity.Im new to this and they dont send instructions or pointers with the shipment.It dosent seem to me like i can get the green foam in the mini puck out,so i cant see having to do anything with it at all.anyone know about this? thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I wouldnt use the Herfador as a storage location, only as a transporation location. To bring your sticks with you on a trip, herf or vacation.
  • the green foam is a humidifier and you put a little distilled water in there and you are good to go.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Christian_Sapp:
    the green foam is a humidifier and you put a little distilled water in there and you are good to go.
    But you're better off NOT doing that actually, as the foam tends to turn into a mold factory, and since the Herfador is air-tight you don't need to worry about humidity loss as long as it is closed. Don't leave it opened for too long at a time while you have cigars in there are you should be fine. A cigar can survive even a few days unhumidified without any real repercussions, and in a herfador, you don't even really have to worry about that.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    docbp87:
    Christian_Sapp:
    the green foam is a humidifier and you put a little distilled water in there and you are good to go.
    But you're better off NOT doing that actually, as the foam tends to turn into a mold factory, and since the Herfador is air-tight you don't need to worry about humidity loss as long as it is closed. Don't leave it opened for too long at a time while you have cigars in there are you should be fine. A cigar can survive even a few days unhumidified without any real repercussions, and in a herfador, you don't even really have to worry about that.
    the totally dry air and foam actually tend to dry your sticks out pretty quick I would do the foam, use a drymist tube, or make a humidifier by poking some holes in a old cigar tube and pouring some active beads in.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    It's pretty safe as is, but i like to keep a Boveda pack in there. Takes up no stick spots, and it's bi-directional like beads.
  • I actually took the little foam humidifier out of mine. I found that it was contributing to the awful smell that the herf-a-dor had from the factory. I ended up pulling all the foam inserts out too and lining the inside with thin cedar strips from cigar tubes. I certainly lose stability without the foam cutouts in there, but I just make sure I'm careful with it, plus the herf-a-dor isn't making my cigars all smell like chemical death like it was before.