Home Cigar 101

BOX question, need answers fast ...

CCom is having a weekend box sale with some great deals..

The question is, if I by the box, how do I store it?

Humidor is currently full. If I don't open the box, how long will the sticks last in that state? Where do I put them? Any other options/suggestions.

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Mperconte:
    CCom is having a weekend box sale with some great deals.. The question is, if I by the box, how do I store it? Humidor is currently full. If I don't open the box, how long will the sticks last in that state? Where do I put them? Any other options/suggestions.
    Time to get a bigger humi! I wouldn't leave them unnatended for much more than a couple days... even shrink wrapped. Unless they are tubos, then you have almost as much time as you need.
  • MBISONMBISON Posts: 45
    If you're low on humi space use the old Zip Loc baggie with a humi care pillow inside. You could also get some tupperware and store cigars in there while u make some space in the humi. I could also help you by saving some of your stogies in my humis. That's a quick way to make space!!!! ;o). Not really sure how long the cigars would last in an unopened box. I would say 'bout 2 months???????
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Zip lock & Pillow is the way to go. (I've done this b-4). I threw a spare (accurate) Hygro in there and it was fine for weeks. But Just left in the cello wrap and box would only last until the wood or paper board of the box acclimates to the environment it is in (approx 48 hrs.)
  • CRAP!!!

I really wanted to add a Box of the Paddila Miami and a box of the Rocky Sub growns...I like both of those and the price for both is nice.

I like the share-a-Humi idea. :)
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    If you're going to be buying boxes, you might as well get a larger Humi. Order your boxes AND another humi. Season it. Keep your boxes in a Large Ziplock w/ humi pillows and when your new humi is seasoned you'll be all set.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    KCW:
    If you're going to be buying boxes, you might as well get a larger Humi. Order your boxes AND another humi. Season it. Keep your boxes in a Large Ziplock w/ humi pillows and when your new humi is seasoned you'll be all set.
    Yep, that's what I'd do, or more likely a cooler for mass storage.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    A cooler is probably the best way to go however if you find that that is not possible, buy yourself some huge ziplock backs. Put one box in each and put in some type of humi device like a jar of crystals or some beads.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    A Rubbermaid bin at Wal-Mart with some beads will hold many boxes.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Good suggestions on the coolers.....think that's the easiest way to go until you can sort out the humidor issue. I know lots of people who do that!
  • Thanks Everyone...

I ordered a Box of the RP Sun growns. I like those...

I still thinking about the Padilla Miami deal...
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    The next time you order more than you can store, just add a humi-care jar to your order. Just put the jar and extra cigars in a rubbermaid container. I do this all of the time with no problrems.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of building a "coolidor" myself, seems to be a piece of cake.
    Light 'em up.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Mperconte:
    Thanks Everyone... I ordered a Box of the RP Sun growns. I like those... I still thinking about the Padilla Miami deal...
    Nice purchase! Love the sun growns! Also, Edge made a good point on the jar...good investment as well!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    JCizzle:
    I'm in the process of building a "coolidor" myself, seems to be a piece of cake.
    yeah, not much building to it if you plan on using it for box storage like me. Those coolers hold humidity like crazy, so be wary of that, my cooler is holding steady and I haven't recharged the beads for 2 or 3 months.
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. I've got a pound of beads on the way and two boxes, so I think I'll start with a lesser amount of beads and add if necessary, while monitoring the humidity levels.
    Light 'em up.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You can probably use all the beads actually since they don't tend to over-humidify like some other humidification elements. Maybe just give them a light charge and don't soak them. Once you get set up you'll see what you need to do within a couple weeks.
    Even better, more beads and less liquid. Got it.
    Light 'em up.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    With the beads, you can use them all, in fact, the more the better. Hydrate 70% of them, and it will regulate the RH perfectly. If rh is too low, it'll raise it, it too high then they'll bring it down. They do all the work for you. Beads really is the greatest advancement in the cigar world in a Long time.
    So take the beads, take 70% of them, wet them, then just add in the rest of them but leave those dry?
    Light 'em up.