Home Cigar 101

resting cigars

So this seems like a stupid question but is there a certain amount of time youu should let your sticks rest before smoking them. Also is there to much time resting like should i smoke some sticks with less time while other sticks age better?

Comments

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Good question, I'm curious to see the answers. I've been smoking them right out of the box.
    Light 'em up.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    There are many threads about this. Look for threads about aging. But in short, if you order online, you generally should let your sticks rest in the humi for a few weeks/month (especially if they seem dry). Places like CCOM go through their stock so fast that the sticks may not get a lot of rest at the warehouse.
    If you get em from your B&M then chances are they've sat a lil while and you should be good to go right there.

General rule of thumb is that the stronger the cigar, the longer it can age (up to like 11 years, then the flavors tend to weaken). Any specifics also depend on personal taste.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often try one ROTT, (right off the truck) to see where they are. After that, I'm usually giving a month before trying again. COTM cigars I almost always give a month or more, because there's only one of each. I've found that generally, 3 - 6 months in the humidor at 70% seems to be the peak for me. There are exceptions, 5 Vegas Relic needs longer, as does the Graycliff 1666, and then let them dry in an old cigar box for 12 hours to 2 days prior to smoking.

Also, what did the cigar go through before it got to you? I recently ordered the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet daily deal. ROTT this was OK, this time , however, I've had orders of these that had to sit 3 months before they were smokeable, and didn't get good until longer. All part of the fun. :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    THIS is a good thread that talks about age and rest.
    as it is with many things in this hobby it comes down to personal preference.
  • i have had cigars ROTT and also had an 18yr old cigar(damn was that good). Kuzi is right it really comes down to personal preferance and how the cigar tastes to you at that moment.

Personally ill tend to try one ROTT if its a sampler pack. Then let them age for 3-6 months then one for over a yr etc to see how they are. If i only have one of a perticular cigar i tend not to smoke it. Which is probably why i have so many singles from trades and passes.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I usually let mine sit for a minimum of 6 weeks before I smoke any of them, unless I buy them from a local B&M and I know what the environment was ok and didn't spend days on a truck.

"Long ashes my friends."

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I buy em and I smoke em. I am an equal opportunity smoker. I do however have plenty of cigars with plenty of age on them but that is the fault of myself and ccom. They have great deals and I buy more than I can smoke, so if they are aged, that's just because I couldn't get to them yet.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Good info here. With the size of my cooidor that I'm building, I'll be able to store plenty of sticks in there and let them age due to sheer volume and inability to smoke them all ROTT. :D
    Light 'em up.
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    I've found that it depends on the cigars, the factory. For the most part, I won't touch a gar until it has rested 3 weeks, just time to restabilize after travel. B&M cigars I smoke right away, expecting that they have had time to rest in a good environment. But, I like to wait 3 months before smoking any I order online. I've had too many bad cigars due to a variety of problems ranging from demand exceeding a facility's production capability (sick cigars) to those just being dry or over wet from transport.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    it really doesnt matter how quickly you start smoking them i believe. usually when i buy cigars i usually my a couple of the same kind so i can smoke one right away and then let one sit in the humidor for awhile so i can try it later after its been about 2 months or so
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I try to rest mine as long as I can, but when I open my humi if I see a stick I want to try I smoke it regardless of age. I usually have more than one of each stick, but I have'nt been disappointed by a stick. Even if it's young they are usually enjoyable. A good notebook to keep track of different smokes with different ages on them is helpful too.