Home Ratings & Reviews

My review of Padilla CazadoresToro.

JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
6 X 50

I enjoyed this smoke more than the Punch Magnum. The presentation was good; slightly oily wrapper, medium to dark brown and a nicely designed band. Very earthy and barnyardy aroma. The stick lit easily and burned evenly throughout. The draw was good and the first half inch or so of the cigar had a very mild, creamy taste and had a slightly bitter or tangy finish, similar to the hoppy bite of a pilsner. However, the bitter finished went away and the rest of the stick just had a nice, easy, creamy finish. I picked up just a touch of leather.

The stick went down quickly and easily right down to the nub. A very easy smoking stick, and not bad for around five bucks. I would definitely keep some of these in my humi as an afternoon smoke or a basic mild cigar.

Smoke on, my friends.
Light 'em up.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey JC calling the Padilla 68 ( and Punch for that matter ) mild is stretching the boundries. I find them more medium knocking hard on Fulls door. I have just started to explore the Padilla line and enjoy many of their offerings. Give the Padilla 32 or Miami a try. Got a 5 pack of the Dominus a week ago that will be resting this winter. They should be gone by Summer.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    kaspera79:
    Hey JC calling the Padilla 68 ( and Punch for that matter ) mild is stretching the boundries. I find them more medium knocking hard on Fulls door. I have just started to explore the Padilla line and enjoy many of their offerings. Give the Padilla 32 or Miami a try. Got a 5 pack of the Dominus a week ago that will be resting this winter. They should be gone by Summer.
    I had about 20 of the Dominus, couldn't get in to them for some reason, they were ok but nothing spectacular for me, the Miami on the other hand I enjoy very much, have about 10 of those left...JCizzle you look like you're about to put a beat down on someone after that draw!!! lol
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the 68 is my favorite padilla. i found it a bit more leathery than you seem to. it was the dominating flavor in my experience. i think thats why i liked it so much.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Roger that, I will promptly add those to my list. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

That is interesting about them leaning more towards full, it makes sense that those two gave me a bigger buzz than I expected!
    Light 'em up.
    Diamondog:
    kaspera79:
    I had about 20 of the Dominus, couldn't get in to them for some reason, they were ok but nothing spectacular for me, the Miami on the other hand I enjoy very much, have about 10 of those left...JCizzle you look like you're about to put a beat down on someone after that draw!!! lol
    Yeah I noticed that after I uploaded the picture, lol! I think I'm making a weird face because I was holding the camera at a weird angle and squinting in anticipation of the flash. I didn't mean to look angry, haha!
    Light 'em up.
    kuzi16:
    the 68 is my favorite padilla. i found it a bit more leathery than you seem to. it was the dominating flavor in my experience. i think thats why i liked it so much.
    Interesting, I will definitely "watch out" for the leathery flavor on the next round. I have another one of these left.
    Light 'em up.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    1. Is that a Charlie Daniel's Band hat?
    2. The 68 is also my favorite Padilla so far. I like the Habano quite a bit as well but I like the 68 much more than the 32.
    3. The beard is Epic
    I will have to try the Habano and compare the two, thanks for mentioning it.

It's actually an Allman Brothers Band hat. :) Thanks, five months and counting on the beard. My boss give me weird looks and hints, but there's no rule against it so I just play dumb. :-D
    Light 'em up.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I too liked the 68 and I thought it was the lighter side of medium. Nice choice in bands also. The Brothers ruled this part of the world
    My favorite American band ever and second favorite band overall, only behind the Stones.

Had another '68 last night just "to be sure." Enjoyed it thoroughly, seems like a consistent smoke, nice even flavors, creamy, a touch of leather.
    Light 'em up.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    One of the interesting things about personal taste, isn't it? I was surprised when I read a review in which the smoker was surprised to taste leather. For me, this was one of the first, maybe THE first recognizable taste in a cigar, and I find it present in almost all decent cigars. Even if something else dominates, I get leather in the background.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the '68 as well. I'm starting to enjoy Padilla a lot more than I used to now that I'm away from the achilles and obsidians and sticking more to the miami's and '32s. These are some of my favorite sticks now.

For me the dominant flavor in the '68 isn't leather, though, it's hard-core earth. I get some leather, especially at the beginning, but during the second 3rd through to the nub I get really strong, musky earth flavors. I like it and this stick is very unique and different from any other I've smoked.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I like the 68, and yet it is the Padilla I smoke the least. What's up wit dat? Just to echo what was said before, try the 1932, Miami, Dominus and, one of my favorites, the 1948...the 48 for me always comes across as a dry feeling cigar, mouth feel of the smoke not physical texture, and it is less leathery with a heavier focus on cedar and coffee, love that cigar.
    Thank you for the recommendations on these other Padillas, I will put them on the shopping list. :)
    Light 'em up.
  • OK! Just finished the 68.. Fir a change of pace, I had it with a Merlot...(no bourbon or scotch today). Nice stick, I like the Miami better, probable would not buy a box of these but would not turn it down. Smoked nice, no issues, good flavor and enjoyable. I will grab some more with a Ccom deal for sure. With wine, not a bad combo/
  • The cigar in your picture appears to be the Cazadores, not the Series '68. Did you confuse the two, or is that just a different picture?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ztanner25:
    The cigar in your picture appears to be the Cazadores, not the Series '68. Did you confuse the two, or is that just a different picture?
    now THAT is a good eye.
    kuzi16:
    ztanner25:
    The cigar in your picture appears to be the Cazadores, not the Series '68. Did you confuse the two, or is that just a different picture?
    now THAT is a good eye.
    You know what, it is. Here's what I did, I copied and pasted the wrong info from the sampler info here on CCOM. This would explain some of the differing opinions on taste, oops! Newbie mistake, I'll fix it.
    Light 'em up.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I just had my first '68, except in the robusto instead of the toro - EXCELLENT smoke! The 32 has been my favorite Padilla forever, but it may have some strong competition for that title from the 68.

Gonna have to smoke a dozen or so more to be sure though. ;-)

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    The Sniper:
    I just had my first '68, except in the robusto instead of the toro - EXCELLENT smoke! The 32 has been my favorite Padilla forever, but it may have some strong competition for that title from the 68.

Gonna have to smoke a dozen or so more to be sure though. ;-)

Yeppers I am not a Paddilia Fan but the 32 and 68 are the only ones that make me like that Name!