Home Cigar 101

Humidor aroma too cedary?

Hi all I have several humidors going and all smell wonderful when opened, but for one. The cedar smell is very strong. It's a decatur industries, 150 count (I think). I'm wondering if this is simply a matter of the way the cedar was processed (it's kiln dried to like 4-7% if I remember right) and that it will then take longer for the cigars' smell to work in (season in a sense)? Or should I be worried about the cigars?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not sure; one reason that spanish cedar is used is because it's aroma isn't overpowering. There are other types of cedar that can regulate RH like Spanish does, but is considered too aromatic (red cedar? I think?). This might be the reason if the humi was built by someone who didn't know the reason for using Spanish cedar
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Mephisto:
    Hi all I have several humidors going and all smell wonderful when opened, but for one. The cedar smell is very strong. It's a decatur industries, 150 count (I think). I'm wondering if this is simply a matter of the way the cedar was processed (it's kiln dried to like 4-7% if I remember right) and that it will then take longer for the cigars' smell to work in (season in a sense)? Or should I be worried about the cigars?
    Any macro photos of the interior wood's grain and color?

• Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    isn't Spanish cedar actually mahogany?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sol1821:
    isn't Spanish cedar actually mahogany?
    yes.
    ... a type of mahogany at least. in spanish the name of the mahogany is "cedro" its a quick leap to "spanish ceder" this type of mahogany is only in certian areas of the world and those people tend to speak spanish there.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    prob put american cedar in, huge smell difference. cheaper but not great for humi's
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    bacon.jay:
    Mephisto:
    Any macro photos of the interior wood's grain and color?

I'll get a pic of it up later, if I can find the cord to upload it. lol--I think that's another thing the ex accidentally ran off with.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I'm no expert but that cedar looks a lot lighter than anything I have at home and I have 9 humis.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    rwheelwright:
    I'm no expert but that cedar looks a lot lighter than anything I have at home and I have 9 humis.
    i agree
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    It could possibly be the lighting, or the actual age of the lumber they used (younger tree, less time in the kiln, etc) but I admit it does look on the light side.

The reason I asked for a picture is that if someone who doesn't know much about humidors made it there's a higher possibility they used aromatic red cedar instead of spanish cedar. Ergo, the HUGE GAP in the miters between the pieces lining the inside of the lid. HOLY CARP.

• cacmancacman Posts: 22
    I'm not expert either, but the color ad grain of that wood doesn't look like spanish cedar to me either. From the color, pattern, some darker wood grains it doesn't look like an aromatic red cedar either. Actually looks like a birch or soft-wood. With those huge caps is it worth using as a humidor anyway? Maybe a tupador or coolidor would be better until it can be replaced.
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Thanks everyone! Surprisingly, it has a great seal, but the smell is weird and, now that you guys mention it, the wood doesn't look like my other boxes. Gonna have to look into the coolidor solution.
  • walgiewalgie Posts: 1
    I realize this is a month old or so, but I have this humidor as well. I have another Decatur humidor which is spanish cedar lined that I have had for 12 years now and wondered the same thing about this wood, as is smelled and looked a bit odd out of the box. I have been using the new one for 2 months now and it smells only like tobacco, and my cigars are not picking up any of the initial smell.... or, more importantly any funky taste.

The wood you have in this box is maple.