Home Cigar 101

How do you make yourself smoke at the right pace

Basically the title says it how do you maintain the right pace when smoking....since i've only been smoking a year i dont know much anyways...sometimes i gatch myself smoking to fast becase i get a nasty taste in my mouth or a cone shape.....sooo i slow down and sometimes it's too slow and the cigar almost goes out....anyways how do you get yourself to smoke not too fast but not too slow......somedays i can smoke at the right speed but other days i cant....

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I say just smoke the hell out of that baby the way that feels good to you. If you start to screw up the burn, fix it as quickly as possible. Otherwise, forget the "rules" and enjoy the stick. Everything else will take care of itself.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    When I'm reading a good book, I smoke too slow most of the time (eg - cigar goes out), since I get caught up in the story.

If you wanna slow down, you only need to take a puff once every 30 sec to a minute; if you don't wanna time it, just do something else, like read the newspaper or read a book, or talk to someone.
  • While talking to someone, put the cigar down between draws. When I'm alone, i'll just mess around with my dog for a bit inbetween draws. It's really preference based on what you are feeling. Enjoy it either way.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    cigarmonkey:
    While talking to someone, put the cigar down between draws. When I'm alone, i'll just mess around with my dog for a bit inbetween draws. It's really preference based on what you are feeling. Enjoy it either way.
    That's exactly what I do... My dog always follows me when I go outside, so i just toss the ball for him or whatever in between puffs... makes me feel less selfish too... win win
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    My smoking times can vary, I don't really think about it at the time, just smoke and enjoy....last night for example I smoked an LFD DL700 in 70 mins....that stick would normally last me 90 and many people MUCH longer than that....never even thought about it that was the pace that I enjoyed it last night...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i smoke VERY slow.

i find that when talking with friends one tends to naturally regulate.

if you are by yourself then observe the end of your cigar after you ash.
    if it is a pointy cone then you are probably smoking a bit fast
    if you have an inward burn (the filler is smoking faster than the wrapper/binder) then you are probably smoking to slow.

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Talking to someone really helps with pacing, just remember to stop long enough to keep the cigar lit! Depending on how much of a reader you are, set a rate of puffs to pages i.e. If you are reading something quickly make it 1 puff per 2 pages or you're taking your time, 1 puff per page.

When I say puff, I mean your normal amount of draws you take to keep your cigar cigar lit. For me it's 3 draws per 1 puff.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    If I go through one too fast I just fire up another, that seems to regulate me to the right speed.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Make note of what time you light up, and every once in a while, take note of how long it has been. I have a rough idea in my head of how long different sizes take me to smoke (eg. a 5x50 will take me around and hour and 20 minutes usually, while a 7x49 will take me well over two hours, sometimes two and a half, at my normal pace) When not taking notes, or photographing a cigar, I tend to smoke faster, because I am not paying attention to the time, which often results in a less pleasant experience for me.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    With most sticks I find about 1 puff every 2 minutes is about right. Practice, practice, practice ;^)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duder2:
    With most sticks I find about 1 puff every 2 minutes is about right. Practice, practice, practice ;^)
    Hey! I was going to say that, just the the old joke "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" Practice, practice, practice. Other than that, what Kuzi said describes it perfectly.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    One thing I do is ensure I have enough time to enjoy, otherwise I won't smoke....to me, I don't like to smoke a cigar unless I have the time to enjoy it...usually, I rush through cigars as a fast pace when I feel liked I have a short amount of time to work with...then I have remorse feeling like I shouldn't have lit the cigar up.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    Nick2021:
    One thing I do is ensure I have enough time to enjoy, otherwise I won't smoke....to me, I don't like to smoke a cigar unless I have the time to enjoy it...usually, I rush through cigars as a fast pace when I feel liked I have a short amount of time to work with...then I have remorse feeling like I shouldn't have lit the cigar up.
    yea about 90% of the time i dont have the time...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ellinas:
    Nick2021:
    yea about 90% of the time i dont have the time...
    you save a lot of money by only smoking when you have time.
    ... that and you enjoy the cigar way more.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Yeah I agree with Vulchor here. I try not to worry about anything when I smoke, including how fast I'm smoking it. I do end up smoking a little faster than most here, but it works for me. I say, the only way to tell what you like to smoke and how you like to smoke it, is to smoke a bunch figure it out along the way.

Even though I know I should slow down a bit to experience more of the subtleties, i just don't have the patience for that. And that works ok for me. I just try to keep the temperature of the smoke down to where I enjoy it and can taste most of what I should be tasting. So for the first half or more of the cigar, I'll probably smoke pretty quickly, because the smoke is naturally cooling down as it travels through the cigar, and I enjoy it. Once I get towards the last third and I can feel the temperature of the smoke rising I slow it way down so that I still get most of the flavors with the cooler smoke. So I base my smoking speed of the heat of the smoke, and I enjoy it that way.

Interesting tidbit from kuzi on the shape of the ash. . . . hahaha, I thought a cone shaped ash was completely normal. whoops, I've never had anything but that. . .haha