Home Cigar 101

Seal issue

sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
I noticed on my new 300 count I have to recharge my beads about 5 times more than my 100 count and both are in the same area. Any ideas on how to improve the seal(of course its not under warranty). Thanks gents. Hope something works!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    First off, do you know for sure it's a seal issue? Not second guessing you, but your problem could be as simple as not having enough beads, I've had that problem with my 300 count and was recharging them all the time...once I added more beads it was no longer a problem. If the problem is in fact with the seal, an easy remedy would be to take a strip of scotch tape and line the edge of the lid with it, while not of substantial thickness, it should add enough to compensate for any gaps. Hope that helps.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    I have more beads so I'll give that a shot first. I already added some previously to no avail. There's 1.5 lbs in now. I'll add another .5 and see if it helps. If not on to the tape. Thanks Joe
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    sirfoster83:
    I have more beads so I'll give that a shot first. I already added some previously to no avail. There's 1.5 lbs in now. I'll add another .5 and see if it helps. If not on to the tape. Thanks Joe
    Hey Brian, have you tried to moisten the seal wood around your humi? I find that sometimes that wood which is used for making the seal can dry out faster or more then the inside of the humi. If you take a damp cloth and wipe this "seal wood" on both sides you should see that it will swell a little and help to ensure a better seal. I have a couple of humis that I have to do this with as that seal wood seems to dry out a little quicker then the inside of the humi itself. Give it a shot, it works good for me.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    1.5 lbs. is a lot for a 300, I'm running overkill and only have maybe 3/4 lbs. Doug made a good suggestion that I hadn't thought of, I think that will do the trick. Every once in a while those dang Canadians prove they're good for something. Wink [;)]
    j0z3r:
    1.5 lbs. is a lot for a 300, I'm running overkill and only have maybe 3/4 lbs. Doug made a good suggestion that I hadn't thought of, I think that will do the trick. Every once in a while those dang Canadians prove they're good for something. Wink [;)]
    Did you say Hockey?
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    laker1963:
    sirfoster83:
    Hey Brian, have you tried to moisten the seal wood around your humi? I find that sometimes that wood which is used for making the seal can dry out faster or more then the inside of the humi. If you take a damp cloth and wipe this "seal wood" on both sides you should see that it will swell a little and help to ensure a better seal. I have a couple of humis that I have to do this with as that seal wood seems to dry out a little quicker then the inside of the humi itself. Give it a shot, it works good for me.
    now not trying trying to steal your thunder or anything so correct me if im wrong but isnt that only a temp fix? if you wipe the seal in theory yes it will expand creating a tighter seal but the actual seal itself is not airtigh meaning that yes the inside of the humi is but not the out side of the seal where the wood is making contact. if this is the case the seal will dry out the quickest and never hold the moisture in the wood therefore contracting and going right back to square one. i would definetly use the scotch tape idea but myself im not sure if the wipe would be permanent. like i said before it would work temporarily but im not sure if it would be a perm fix. and again not trying to say anyones wrong im actually curious myself if my logic makes sense to anyone else but me lol. let me know if im on the right track or not.
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    Did you say Hockey?
    Umm the U.S. is putting out some d@mn fine hockey players lately..... PS Crosby went to school at Shattuck St. Marys were all the good hockey players go and where is Shattuck located MINNESOTA!!!! And my boy Drewiski and that trader Kessel from WI.
    and about to watch the wild beat the poo out of the flames..... fingers crossed not that we have any Americans anymore.
    aron325:
    laker1963:
    sirfoster83:
    now not trying trying to steal your thunder or anything so correct me if im wrong but isnt that only a temp fix? if you wipe the seal in theory yes it will expand creating a tighter seal but the actual seal itself is not airtigh meaning that yes the inside of the humi is but not the out side of the seal where the wood is making contact. if this is the case the seal will dry out the quickest and never hold the moisture in the wood therefore contracting and going right back to square one. i would definetly use the scotch tape idea but myself im not sure if the wipe would be permanent. like i said before it would work temporarily but im not sure if it would be a perm fix. and again not trying to say anyones wrong im actually curious myself if my logic makes sense to anyone else but me lol. let me know if im on the right track or not.
    You would be correct I guess if you were NOT adding any additional moisture through beads, gel, or any of the other dozens of moisture sensing products on the market. The seal wood is also exposed on one side to this interior humidity. Therefore the outside of the seal; or the part that is making contact with the air around the seal the most tends to dry out a little quicker. If you wipe the seal with distilled water and a damp cloth, this seal will expand again and will help hold the seal of the humidor.

I don't recall saying it was a one time fix, as we all know, ALL forms of moisture control need to be maintained at some time, this is no different. I have used it in the past and it worked for me. That is what I reported here.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if yo discover that the seal is the actual issue and nothing else works, then get the thinnest strip of weather strip and you can seal the humi with that.
    it aint pretty but if done right will fix all the worries.
    kuzi16:
    if yo discover that the seal is the actual issue and nothing else works, then get the thinnest strip of weather strip and you can seal the humi with that.
    it aint pretty but if done right will fix all the worries.
    Thats all that matters to me!
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    laker1963:
    aron325:
    laker1963:
    sirfoster83:
    You would be correct I guess if you were NOT adding any additional moisture through beads, gel, or any of the other dozens of moisture sensing products on the market. The seal wood is also exposed on one side to this interior humidity. Therefore the outside of the seal; or the part that is making contact with the air around the seal the most tends to dry out a little quicker. If you wipe the seal with distilled water and a damp cloth, this seal will expand again and will help hold the seal of the humidor.

I don't recall saying it was a one time fix, as we all know, ALL forms of moisture control need to be maintained at some time, this is no different. I have used it in the past and it worked for me. That is what I reported here.
    ok thank you for clearing that up for me. i really do appreciate it
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    sirfoster83:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    Did you say Hockey?
    Umm the U.S. is putting out some d@mn fine hockey players lately..... PS Crosby went to school at Shattuck St. Marys were all the good hockey players go and where is Shattuck located MINNESOTA!!!! And my boy Drewiski and that trader Kessel from WI.
    I'm actually surprised you brought up Crosby, with how much I heard you guys hate going north to get players for the Gophers. If so you guys keep it up. I have been a UNO Mavs fan since they started out and don't mind them sweeping the big names in the WCHA.
    Thewelder:
    sirfoster83:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    Did you say Hockey?
    I'm actually surprised you brought up Crosby, with how much I heard you guys hate going north to get players for the Gophers. If so you guys keep it up. I have been a UNO Mavs fan since they started out and don't mind them sweeping the big names in the WCHA.
    I was blown away with him mentioning Sid the kid. Because he spent some time at school in the US... that makes him American? LMAO Brian that was stretching things pretty far. That just showed how desperate you are, LMAO.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Thewelder:
    sirfoster83:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    Did you say Hockey?
    I was blown away with him mentioning Sid the kid. Because he spent some time at school in the US... that makes him American? LMAO Brian that was stretching things pretty far. That just showed how desperate you are, LMAO.
    Crosby will never be an American. He screwed that one up earlier this year. He is on the list of Canadians that include Justin Bieber, Bryan Adams and Celine Dion. Now it's not that I hate all Canadians in fact the comedians that come out of there are freakin hilarious and they make great hockey players. Just a select few I wouldn't mind staying north.
    Not even close to calling him American just saying Minnesota and US Hockey is stepping up with the programs and developing great players
    Thewelder:
    laker1963:
    Thewelder:
    sirfoster83:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    Did you say Hockey?
    Crosby will never be an American. He screwed that one up earlier this year. He is on the list of Canadians that include Justin Bieber, Bryan Adams and Celine Dion. Now it's not that I hate all Canadians in fact the comedians that come out of there are freakin hilarious and they make great hockey players. Just a select few I wouldn't mind staying north.
    He shoots...he scores... Sidney Crosby scores the GOLDEN GOAL for Canada.

Did you mean that? LMAO
    Give it a year Crosby will be living in the AMERICAN KANE'S shadow. This kid showed he has all the skill in the world and once he learns how to utilize it properly he's going to be a great offensive player...
    sirfoster83:
    Give it a year Crosby will be living in the AMERICAN KANE'S shadow. This kid showed he has all the skill in the world and once he learns how to utilize it properly he's going to be a great offensive player...
    Are you following the stats Brian? In the last 15 games... Crosby has 17 goals and 14 assists for 31 points!!! Kane is great, but Crosby is in a league of his own and doesn't show any sign that he has peaked yet. Kane is a classy young player, who I would love to see on my leafs any day.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I misread the title of this forum :) no really until I started reading it, I thought perhaps it was going to be talk of: (1) the California Golden Seals -and the living legacy of this brilliant expansion into the desert allowing American players to be showcased or (2) the Seal Hunt controversy - and how there is a new cigar filler made from Canadian seal fur....yes another use for some of them there Canadian resources (not that that Canadian oil, energy, water, grain, agricultural products, nor fertilizer have been found to be of any use to anyone yet.... or (3) hmmm....humidor seal issues but since it's not about any of those things really, then perhaps some talk should include Steve Stamkos (from Markham...an hour from me) being the best bargain in the league @ $875, 000, who is on pace for 120 point season, vs. Crosby's 130 @ 9,000,000 or Kane's uh @ $6,500,000 for ah.... hmmm heighty-wun :) enjoy the discussion gents ....p.s. I know my sarcasm needs work, but I don't get many chances to practice it :) pps. there are an amazing # of great (even ok) players that Maple Laff fans would be happy to take (anyone want Jeff Finger @ $3,000,000/year...I know Jeff who? he is buried in the minors
    bearb:
    Perhaps I misread the title of this forum :) no really until I started reading it, I thought perhaps it was going to be talk of: (1) the California Golden Seals -and the living legacy of this brilliant expansion into the desert allowing American players to be showcased or (2) the Seal Hunt controversy - and how there is a new cigar filler made from Canadian seal fur....yes another use for some of them there Canadian resources (not that that Canadian oil, energy, water, grain, agricultural products, nor fertilizer have been found to be of any use to anyone yet.... or (3) hmmm....humidor seal issues but since it's not about any of those things really, then perhaps some talk should include Steve Stamkos (from Markham...an hour from me) being the best bargain in the league @ $875, 000, who is on pace for 120 point season, vs. Crosby's 130 @ 9,000,000 or Kane's uh @ $6,500,000 for ah.... hmmm heighty-wun :) enjoy the discussion gents ....p.s. I know my sarcasm needs work, but I don't get many chances to practice it :) pps. there are an amazing # of great (even ok) players that Maple Laff fans would be happy to take (anyone want Jeff Finger @ $3,000,000/year...I know Jeff who? he is buried in the minors
    OK that was just mean and uncalled for ! LMAO