Home Cigar 101

cigar in a tube

kodkod Posts: 41
how long can you keep a cigar that came in a tube in the tube?

Comments

• JTJT Posts: 6

This is from Cigar Aficionado. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure.

The staying power of a tubed cigar varies greatly and is dependent upon its condition at packing time. If it is properly humidified, and the tube has an unbroken airtight seal, the cigar should theoretically last for years. We recently smoked some 25-year-old Jamaican cigars that were stored in aluminum tubes and were in perfect shape. Of course, it's better to be safe than sorry. Keeping a tube in a humidor decreases the likelihood that moisture will leak and dry out the cigar. Remember to keep tubes open when stored in a humidor.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JT:

This is from Cigar Aficionado. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure.

The staying power of a tubed cigar varies greatly and is dependent upon its condition at packing time. If it is properly humidified, and the tube has an unbroken airtight seal, the cigar should theoretically last for years. We recently smoked some 25-year-old Jamaican cigars that were stored in aluminum tubes and were in perfect shape. Of course, it's better to be safe than sorry. Keeping a tube in a humidor decreases the likelihood that moisture will leak and dry out the cigar. Remember to keep tubes open when stored in a humidor.

im not sure i agree with CA either. but only on minor issues. I ALWAYS store my tubed cigars in the humidor because there is (almost) no way that you can tell if a tube's seal has been compromised with the naked eye.
    ... and i store them in the humidor with the cap ON. the cigart will sit in its own air for years on end and it will slow the ageing process down. I somehow get the impression that this could yield good results.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I really don't agree with everything CA said. But I do agree with what kuzi had to say, as I do the same thing with the tubes cigars I have.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Not worth the risk. I would keep it in a humi also.