Home Ratings & Reviews

My review of 5 Vegas Classic.

JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
This is my first review and first smoke in a long time, and definitely my first smoke since I have decided to get more into cigar smoking. I apologize if this review is redundant, but I'd like to share anyway, if nothing else to practice and to refine my palate.

This stick came in my very first sampler, which arrived today, and I am sure it is a basic stick, but you have to start somewhere, right?

The draw was nice and smooth, it burned very evenly right off the bat and did not need any fixing throughout. I initially noticed how mild it was, even for a noob like me. About 3/4 of an inch into it, I started to pick up on just a hint of pepper and some very wooden notes. Not so much earthy or leathery, but very roasted, maybe even a little "burnt." The finish was very creamy and fast, not much of a lingering taste. I did a couple of retrohales and did pick up some other undertones, but I don't think I'm quite ready to describe them or sort them out yet.

Halfway through, this cigar kicked my butt. I ate a good pasta dinner, but I still got a nice buzz from it, probably due to my noob-ness. I finished the whole thing, and I'm now feeling pretty good.

Thanks for reading, it's been great being on this forum thus far and I look forward to learning much more from you guys and sharing my experiences.

J.C.
Light 'em up.

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    a really solid stick. I like it in the torpedo. It's a good "go to" stick for sure.
  • nice review it is a great stick for the price a nice everyday smoke, i have had the torpedo and it was what sold me but i picked up some of the box pressed ones they are supposed to be good
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Bang for you buck, this is an excellent stick. I have a good 30 of these in my humis.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, guys. It definitely struck me as an "everyday" stick. I would gladly pick up a box of these.
    Light 'em up.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    They are decent everyday sticks IMO but not my fav 5 Vegas
    fla-gypsy:
    Any good recommendations? I've heard good things about several 5 Vegas sticks, I'd like to try some more.
    Light 'em up.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    JCizzle:
    fla-gypsy:
    Any good recommendations? I've heard good things about several 5 Vegas sticks, I'd like to try some more.
    I have yet to have a bad 5 Vegas. The best thing to do is to do a litter research on the cigars that you like i.e. wrapper, size, country of origin, etc. and compare that to the selection of 5 Vegas. If you like a creamy mild cigar, go with the Gold. If you like smooth with a little pepper, go with the Classic. They make some good maduros too. I'm sure you can call in and tell a rep what you like and they can put together some type of 5 Vegas sampler that would give you a little taste of everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    JCizzle:
    fla-gypsy:
    I'm probably more noobish than you but I really enjoyed the 5 V Gold Maduro. I might have a spare, which I can gladly ship off to you. Let me know.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've only had 3: the Gold is a nice mild connie but may leave you wanting if you're looking for something with a bit more umph; nice flavors though. I've had tons of the Miami and really like them. Nice solid medium with lots of leather and good spice. I've only had one of the Gold Maduros but thought it was pretty good but don't have a lot of thoughts on it - definitely need to revisit that one.

Looking forward to trying a few of the others esp the triple A.
    Sounds fantastic, and I've heard great things about the Miami as well. I have a coupon that came with my last order that I'm definitely going to take advantage of.
    Light 'em up.
    james40:
    JCizzle:
    fla-gypsy:
    I'm probably more noobish than you but I really enjoyed the 5 V Gold Maduro. I might have a spare, which I can gladly ship off to you. Let me know.
    PM coming your way!
    Light 'em up.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i really want one of these!!!!!!!!!
    I don't have anymore otherwise I'd throw one your way. :(
    Light 'em up.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Sounds fantastic, and I've heard great things about the Miami as well. I have a coupon that came with my last order that I'm definitely going to take advantage of.
    The Miami is one of my favorite 5 Vegas cigars but it is significantly stronger than the classic. You might want to let this one rest a little while before trying it. It's awesome.

If you're looking for an affordable cigar somewhat similar to the Classic the Padilla Habano would be worth trying out, it's less woody/burnt tasting and a little sweeter.
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to use my coupon for the Miamis and they will go straight into the humidor to age.

I'll add the Padilla Habano to my list while I'm at it.
    Light 'em up.
  • undulac:
    JCizzle:
    fla-gypsy:
    I have yet to have a bad 5 Vegas. The best thing to do is to do a litter research on the cigars that you like i.e. wrapper, size, country of origin, etc. and compare that to the selection of 5 Vegas. If you like a creamy mild cigar, go with the Gold. If you like smooth with a little pepper, go with the Classic. They make some good maduros too. I'm sure you can call in and tell a rep what you like and they can put together some type of 5 Vegas sampler that would give you a little taste of everything.
    I little Pepper, I just finished one of these after it sat for about 3 months...The momment I lit it, my mouth started popping. I did that for the 1st third before it mellow down a bit. Not all that bad, good draw, no issues. My mouth is still popping...I still have 2 more of these hanging around.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    was a good but it reminded me why i like full bodied more...unfortunately for me i have trouble dsitinguishing flavors from others although i can taste quite a few....but definitely as dennis said..a good go to stick i'll probably buy more of these.
  • I've been a fan of 5 Vegas for a few months, starting with the Gold and the Classic, then Gold Maduro and Series A. But tending to like sticks in the medium range, I hesitated to try the Miami (not to mention the Relic and the Cask Strength). This changed after I tried my first CI Legends yellow label, which opened up the whole range of slightly fuller lines. Which lead me to a lot of Rocky Patel's wonderful offerings, namely the Decade, the Sun Grown and the Olde World Reserves. Since those are a bit on the pricey side, and went ahead and ordered a 5 Vegas Miami sampler.   Smoked my first one last night, and did so with the biggest grin on my face.  You know sometimes even your "go to" stick just doesn't taste right, perhaps it came from an online site that doesn't give as much attention to storage and shipping as they should, or maybe it just is a less than perfect roll?  And then there are the times when as soon as you pull a stick from the cello you KNOW it is absolutely perfect, the feel, the slight shimmer to the wrapper, the wonderful aroma.  Well, the 5 Vegas Miami I had was the latter - I could smoke that stick every night for the next few months and be completely content.  Perfect light, perfect burn, easy easy draw, tons of pepper, oodles of smoke - you get the picture.  Stronger, yes, but not enough to give me pause. I just don't know if all future orders will be as nice.
    I have a coupon for 5 Vegas Miami and I'm ordering them this week. Can't wait to try them.
    Light 'em up.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Iam a huge fan of the 5Vegas line and originally enjoyed the classic and golds .... I dont know if my tastes have changed but those are the two that i really dont care for in the line anymore ...... as far as the rest of the line I love the Cask II and the Miami both top 10 sticks for me and really enjoy the A and AAA series .... The limitada's are ok nothing that blew me away and the Relic was just eh.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    I have a coupon for 5 Vegas Miami and I'm ordering them this week. Can't wait to try them.
    You're going to be happy, I've only got one left right now, I've pulled it out of the humidor several times in the last couple weeks, but thought: "I'll wait 'til I've got some on order again". 5-Vegas are great cigars for the price.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    JCizzle:
    You're going to be happy, I've only got one left right now, I've pulled it out of the humidor several times in the last couple weeks, but thought: "I'll wait 'til I've got some on order again". 5-Vegas are great cigars for the price.
    You ain't kidding. I just had another 5V stick (thanks to a very generous BOTL on these forums) and boy did that little stick knock me on my a$$!
    Light 'em up.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    When you want to try out a 5 V that's a bit more full bodied with great flavor, pick up a few 5 V Cask Strength II's. One of my favorite 5 V smokes out there and I'm always wanting more in my humi.