Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar is wet

I have a quick question. I tried using the search function but am not having any luck. I have a small 20 count humidor, I checked it today and the humidifier magnet decided to let loose and let the humidifier fall onto a couple cigars. Two cigars have wet spots on them and when squeezed, give in that spot more than anywhere else on the cigar.

My question is what's the course of action? Throw them away or allow them to dry? If allowing them to dry, do I leave them in the humidor or place them elsewhere?

It's what I get for having a small humidor I guess. :-/

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Just let them dry in the humidor. If you can, move those two cigars as far from the humidification device as you can. They'll be fine, I've had something similar happen more times than I can remember and haven't had a problem with the affected cigars.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response! I'll do that right now. Guess it's a sign to invest in a larger humidor.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Joe here as usual... I've had a few mishaps with wet cigars and they all came through just fine. And most importantly NEVER throw away a cigar. These guys smoke them with mold, beetles, dry, cracked, Whats a little wet spot going to hurt ?
  • Options
    Haha understood. I'm glad I don't have to throw them away, I would have been angry. Man O' War Virtue and Ruination wet. Just bought a new humidor. 125 count should do, right?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    That gives you room to stretch out, and fill 'er up too. That's the size I like best.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had to re-glue the backing plate on both my 20 count humidors, one I had to do twice before it finally held. Same with the 100 count. Your cigars should be fine (I went through this, too) but, when you get your bigger humidor, check out that backing plate and re-glue if you've any doubt.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Yea, that's what I have actually been thinking about with the new humidor. Since it is a larger humidor what kind of humidifier should I get? I read through on here and see that people use the beads from like heartfelt or something like that and am wondering if I should do this or any other recommendations?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    take preventative measures.

buy beads

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the beads. I'm a newbie and recent bead convert. Ordered a pound of them from Heartfelt.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!