Home Cigar 101

My New Single Stick Heavy-service Humi!

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
All right. I am a Firefighter with the Forest Service. So frequently I get sent out to the boonies on fires in the summer, but still would like to take a cigar along for those perfect summer nights on top of a peak somewhere. But I could not think of a way to keep a cigar in a fire pack without it turning to mush, as my 10-stick sliding leather travel humi from c.com is fine for a glovebox, but not a firepack. :(

I got to brainstorming though, and this is what I came up with :)

I took a piece of 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC cut to 8" length (figuring a churchill max). Two caps, one of them filled with 65% beads, and those are retained with a tripled over layer of nylon material "liberated" from my wife. The inside has a single layer of cut-to-fit small-bubble bubble wrap as a shock absorber, and voila!! Instant single-stick heavy-service travel humi :D I even have a small bottle of distilled water from my belt weather kit ;).

I'll let you all know how well it works out in field testing, but I think I may have solved my problems...for under $2.00, not counting beads as I had extra sitting around anyway ;)

When I told my wife I needed nylon material, she told me about little "booties" that they have in the woman's shoe section. Sure enough, they have boxes of new ones for the ladies to slip on when trying on shoes, then dispose of :D

*pictures hordes of cigar chomping men descending on Payless Shoe Store ladies isle* :P

Comments

• rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out.

I myself would have just spent the $15 on amazon for one of the hard plastic travel humidors. I think they are made by pelican. If not, then it is otter box. I don't remember right now, but you can get them to hold 5, 10, or 15 sticks.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    True, but I just needed to carry one, as my pack is filled with food, water, fire shelter, and other essentials, and even a 5 stick case would not fit. My line gear wieighs 45 lbs. as it is ;)

If I have time for more than one cigar on a fire, chances are I will be de-mobed back to my humidor anyway, as it is almost out :P
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I bet that works out perfectly!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That sounds like a humi you could dive a truck over....well, maybe if you had used schedule 80. I've always loved PVC for how versatile it is and how simple it is to make things with a bit of thought. Do let us know how it works out for you.

Joe
    The trouble with Schedule 80 is that they did not have caps for it, but that was my first thought. Although I can hardly wait for my first flight, when I get forcibly dragged out of line by the TSA LOL. it looks suspicious ;)

Still and all, scedule 40 in that diameter is fairly rugged, and if that breaks, it is probably because someone did drive a truck over it :P. Now that I think about it, I will probably have them thread it for screw on caps, so there is no chance of it sliding open. Also, I Changed my mind on the beads, and just stuck a 1/2" thick plug of floral foam in there. This humi is not meant to age cigars in a perfect environment, just keep it decent for a week or so max. This way too I can change out the foam end of season. :D
    And for those who are curious, this turned out to be the finished product. The only thing missing is the sheet of Spanish Cedar I will take off my Ghurka Beast when I smoke it and use that to line the humi. :D The reason I went floral foam vs beads is I have plenty of foam, and also I probably won't always have acces to distilled water, so throwing away a chunk of foam end of season due to mineral/impurities contamination won't bother me a bit ;)

• pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Pretty slick!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    See, cigar smokers are enginuitive, its a necessity when you want to smoke a fine cigar in any enviroment. Also helpful when you are smuggling cigars from a certain small island back into the good ol' US.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Also helpful when you are smuggling cigars from a certain small island back into the good ol' US.
    Lol, yeah nothing says "inconspicuous" like a long, bright-white plastic tube.
    And tested just fine yesterday on the burn we had! The stick traveled safe and sound, being shoved in the pack, bungied down to the four wheeler, packed around dragging a drip torch...then the nice part. Watching the burn, and have a c.com Brazilian.

Dang, life is good :D
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

j0z3r

Lol I was just talking about cigar smokers being enginuitive, not this tube.  TSA would think it was a bomb and be pleased to find a cuban.  Which they could then fine you nicely for.