Home General Discussion

birthday cigars

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
here are my choices for Oct 23rd....

OpusX **** with two years of age
Ashton VSG Belicoso no1 with two years of age on it.
AF anejo no.46 with one year of age on it.
GOF robusto with 2.5 years on it.
Gurkha Legend perfecto with 2 years on it.
Gurkha regent toro with two years on it
Gurkha master select Dos Capas Churchill with about 1.5 years on it
or
Gurkha Crest Churchill with almost a year on it.

dont just say what. say WHY.

because "those are good" doenst count. I will pay more attention to people that have smoked those cigars and recommend them based on flavor.

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    So the game is to make recommendations on what to smoke? Okay. First, how many will you smoke? I know you're usually a strict one-a-dayer (or less) so you taste each one fully. Will you be making a birthday exception?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm thats a good point.... ummm maybe. but two is tops
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    hmmm thats a good point.... ummm maybe. but two is tops

They all sound so good ! The Gurkha Regent I had with only a couple of months on it was so memorable that I would suggest that for at least one of your choices. Whatever you select ENJOY and Happy Birthday !
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

or

because "those are good" doenst count. I will pay more attention to people that have smoked those cigars and recommend them based on flavor.

I'm going to have to say the Gurkha Legend. I had one with about a year on it and WOW! Awesome smoke. Great flavors, complex, and perfect construction. I've had a regent as well and it was a great smoke, but the legend fits better because years down the road people will look back and remember Kuzi the Legend, the man with all the answers! haha Ok, well it sounded good in my head and you do know your sh*t when it comes to cigars!
    thats a good thought. and flattery will get you everywhere....

im torn between something i have not had and someting i know i like. i have had the opusx the ashton the legend and the regent. i know i like them. the others... iduno.

i also just found a Centurian with a bit over a year on it.

any other thoughts guys?
    kuzi16:
    thats a good thought. and flattery will get you everywhere....

im torn between something i have not had and someting i know i like. i have had the opusx the ashton the legend and the regent. i know i like them. the others... iduno.

i also just found a Centurian with a bit over a year on it.

any other thoughts guys?

Here's a thought. Why don't you celebrate your birthday in Hobbit fashion and YOU send out gifts rather then recieve them? Huh? What da' ya' think ?

The only 2 I've had are the Ashton and the Regent. Between those 2, I'd take the Ashton, hands down. The Regent just hasn't impressed me. The VSG, on the other hand, definitely did.

Throw that year-old Centurian into the mix, and things get more difficult. I'll punt and make that and the VSG my twofer selections.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    One other idea would be to stick the opus back and hold onto it for 2 more years so on your 30th b-day you can have a nice 4 year aged smoke! I bet it would be worth the wait!
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    PuroFreak:
    One other idea would be to stick the opus back and hold onto it for 2 more years so on your 30th b-day you can have a nice 4 year aged smoke! I bet it would be worth the wait!
    Now THAT is a fine suggestion. I have to agree with Puro... so let's take the Opus out of the equation.

Happy (early) birthday, Kuzi! I haven't had much on that list. The Legend I smoked was a bum stick, and I don't really think they're special enough. I have a couple Centurian on hand, but they're still in the resting phase. I LOVED the Regent, but again ... is that really special enough?

In my mind, it comes down to the God of Fire, the VSG, or the Anejo. Of course, I know you're a huge Gurkha fan, but I don't know enough about those to make any recommendation. Another thing to consider - you're probably due for some fantastic birthday head or other canoodling. You'll want something that won't knock you out of commission. The wife will surely have something in mind for you.

So I will make a recommendation that you have a one-smoke day, and make it something very special. Now we're down to the GoF or the Anejo. The Anejo seems to be harder to find, but the idea behind the GoF carries a special, unique background that makes it seem almost like a special gift from a member of the Fuente family (you didn't say which one). And since birthdays are all about gifts (at least, I say they should be!), I say treat yourself to the GoF.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I'm going to have to say the Gurkha Legend. I had one with about a year on it and WOW! Awesome smoke. Great flavors, complex, and perfect construction. I've had a regent as well and it was a great smoke, but the legend fits better because years down the road people will look back and remember Kuzi the Legend, the man with all the answers! haha Ok, well it sounded good in my head and you do know your sh*t when it comes to cigars!
    I was thinking that same exact thing as a response. LOL

Seriously though, if you choose just one, I go with the Master select. My reasoning for this is that it has a little more age on it than the crest but both of them are churchills that would give you a longer, nice relaxing smoke. If you go for 2 sticks on that day then my thinking shifts to the VSG and the Anejo because they are not as long of smokes and both could be considered near the top of their respective lines.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    How old are you going to be kuzi? Its actually relevant to how I'm going to answer this.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Here's a thought. Why don't you celebrate your birthday in Hobbit fashion and YOU send out gifts rather then recieve them? Huh? What da' ya' think ?
    That's what I just did, did you miss the contest?

Kuz...As much as the legend is a great cigar, you've had those, you know what to expect. If you haven't had an opus with that much age on it, it might be worth it to see how much the stick has changed over the years. I just don't see the legend changing that much, since it's not all that strong to begin with.

My next choice would be the GOF, but which blend is it? Carlito or Don Carlos? And have you had one before? The GOF's are released with 2 years on them, so an additional 2.5 years may make for one hell of a smoke.

Whatever way you go, make sure you enjoy it. Happy Birthday Kuz. You're only a few weeks older than me....you old man. I'll probably be spending my birthday in the cigar bar onboard the cruise I'm going on. We set sail the day before my birthday.
    puro- i like the idea of the GOF on my 30th. i may just have to do that.

rdnstn- Ive had mixed reviews on the dos capos. but again you know how i feel about reviews... even mine are worthless. and its new to me. ive never had that cigar and in fact ive never had a barberpole style cigar. just smoking it my be an experience. even if it isnt the best cigar ever i will have, at worst, learned something from it.

Maddy- ill be 28

laker- im far to tall to be a hobbit.

rob- the GoF is the don carlos and ive never had a one. also, happy birthday to you too.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kuz. I think the Don Carlos GOF sounds like a good idea. I've heard those are pretty strong to begin with and a few years of additional age may make that a celebratory cigar.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    The only 2 I've had are the Ashton and the Regent. Between those 2, I'd take the Ashton, hands down. The Regent just hasn't impressed me. The VSG, on the other hand, definitely did.

Throw that year-old Centurian into the mix, and things get more difficult. I'll punt and make that and the VSG my twofer selections.
    Glad to hear that urby, I just ordered 3 vsg's.. Kuzi, congrats on turning 28, don't you feel old? lol, I would go with the GOF, I just had one of mine yesterday and though it hasn't been in my humi very long I did indeed enjoy it. I can't wait for the rest to age a while.
    well im almost sure ill make it a two cigar day. cigar one is going to be the gurkha dos capos. the argument that its a big cigar and it will last a long time and that its new to me won me over... on to cigar #2....
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Happy for-real Birthday, Kuzi!
    kuzi16:
    well im almost sure ill make it a two cigar day. cigar one is going to be the gurkha dos capos. the argument that its a big cigar and it will last a long time and that its new to me won me over... on to cigar #2....

Whatever you decide... HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEWD!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Happy Birthday Brother! Man, I cant remember 28 and I'm only 31. Sucks getting old!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kuzi16:

or

I've never had aMaster Select Dos Capas or a Crest. I saw the Crest today on a site but I didn't order it. At $22 each, it is tough to stomach with everything I purchased in the last two days.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

Whatever you decide... HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEWD!
    Def have a happy birthday! If you do delve into the OpusX **** let me know how good it was to ya. I have a couple that I have to tell myself not to touch on a regular basis. It would great to think I could hold them for two years. It's been about 4 months and I'm already itchin' to try one. But either way, have a good one!
    i just finished the Dos Capos and ill try and get a review up soon.

this cigar took 2 hours 40 minutes at 8.5 x 52.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Alright, so you took my suggestion. I hope it was a good one for you.

BTW, Happy Birthday.
    Yes, happy birthday!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    happy birthday, kuz!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Kuzi, Happy Birthday... May it be the best one yet,
    ended up with only one cigar today. thats ok. i got to spend time with the wife. that is just as good.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    hope your bd went well!
    kuzi16:
    ended up with only one cigar today. thats ok. i got to spend time with the wife. that is just as good.
    Ow! I think I just got a cavity.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Happy Geburtstag!!!! (Belated)

And seriously... does your wife monitor your web traffic??? (suck-up)