Home Cigar 101

Seasoning a 3000 count tower humidor?

I am receiving a 3000 ct tower tomorrow and was wondering the best way to go about seasoning a humidor this large. Would I treat it the same way I would a smaller one and let it season longer? Any ideas or suggestions are well appreciated.

Thanks Everyone,
Justin

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    What kind of humidification are you using? I would assume you'd be using active humidification adequate for something that large, such as a cigar oasis 2 or moist n air, in which case you'd just want to set it up and run it. Aside from that, I don't know if the dish of water trick would cut it for something so big.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    i have a roughly 2000 ct in the wall. i did it very slowly w/ 3 bowls of dist water for about a week, then put the oasis 2 xl in for 24hrs to equalize. take your time and do it slow. get 2-3 good digi hygrometers for top-mid-lower levels. you'll notice a couple degree difference from top to bottom.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Like the two guys above me said, you could probably just season the entire thing with 1 or 2 Cigar Oasis' (no need to wipe it down) and a few digital hygrometers (make sure they're calibrated first!!). The Cigar Oasis should do the same thing that a bowl of distilled water does - provide humidity in the air for the wood to absorb, in a consistent manner.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Lucky guy, what a problem to have to solve.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The first thing you will need to do is have it forwarded to NC , which just happens to have the only perfect humidity in the country for seasoning a humidor that size . :););)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I wiped the interior of mine with distilled water, twice, then put the humidifyer in it. Wait a couple days til you fill it, but it's really not that hard. I'd also use some beads with the active humidifyer (you're gonna want one) to absorb some of the excess humidity that will occur.
  • Thanks everyone for the input. Here is ultimately what I did. I wiped the entire inside and all trays/parts, bowl of water on the very bottom, next shelf up is 2 regular florist foam bricks, the pull out drawers are each filled with a humidification pillow (since I have like a million of these), on top of all the pullout drawers is another bowl of water, shelf above that is a small jar of gel, then finally the top shelf has two gel brick humidifiers. I plan on letting it set for a week or so and then putting in the Hydra Lg to catch up and level out everything.
    @gmill880, perfect humidity? HA! thats only found in my bedroom here in KY! ;) haha! If I am ever stationed in VA, I will have to make a run down to good ole NC and get you a giant humidor, well, maybe haha!

Thanks again everyone!
    Justin
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you find that it is going slowly try this:
    buy a new gallon of distilled. pour all the water it into a pitcher. cut the jug the distilled came in about 5 inches from the bottom fill and set that in the humidor. do the same the old jug from the first bottle you already bought.

its a good wide dish with a ton of surface area and it holds darn near 1/2 a gallon.

and its inexpensive to boot.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    NavyCorpsman731:
    Thanks everyone for the input. Here is ultimately what I did. I wiped the entire inside and all trays/parts, bowl of water on the very bottom, next shelf up is 2 regular florist foam bricks, the pull out drawers are each filled with a humidification pillow (since I have like a million of these), on top of all the pullout drawers is another bowl of water, shelf above that is a small jar of gel, then finally the top shelf has two gel brick humidifiers. I plan on letting it set for a week or so and then putting in the Hydra Lg to catch up and level out everything. @gmill880, perfect humidity? HA! thats only found in my bedroom here in KY! ;) haha! If I am ever stationed in VA, I will have to make a run down to good ole NC and get you a giant humidor, well, maybe haha! Thanks again everyone! Justin
    Aside from the info everybody else has put out I can offer one more. Pray to God that you never end up in Nofuck Virginia. I was stationed there on the Eisenhower (CVN69), and Virginia is a very beautiful state, Norfolk is a sh!thole. Sorry to those who actually live there, but I hated it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    NavyCorpsman731:
    Thanks everyone for the input. Here is ultimately what I did. I wiped the entire inside and all trays/parts, bowl of water on the very bottom, next shelf up is 2 regular florist foam bricks, the pull out drawers are each filled with a humidification pillow (since I have like a million of these), on top of all the pullout drawers is another bowl of water, shelf above that is a small jar of gel, then finally the top shelf has two gel brick humidifiers. I plan on letting it set for a week or so and then putting in the Hydra Lg to catch up and level out everything. @gmill880, perfect humidity? HA! thats only found in my bedroom here in KY! ;) haha! If I am ever stationed in VA, I will have to make a run down to good ole NC and get you a giant humidor, well, maybe haha! Thanks again everyone! Justin

If you ever do end up there, we will have to get together for a mini-herf brother !!!
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I wish I had your "problem"