Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar got soft/spongy

I apologize if this is a repost, but I tried the search feature and couldn't find anything that specifically answered my question.

A week or so ago I smoked my Diesel Unholy Cockail. All was going great until a little after the halfway point. When I got to that point, the cigar in between the head and the foot started getting a little soft/spongy. Then the cigar went out and wouldn't stay lit after relighting. Prior to smoking the cigar was firm with a little give but nothing like this. Any ideas what happened?

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I was thinking getting too hot would make it get soft like that but then going out and not able to relight hmmm....how long did it rest?
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    It might of been that the stronger cigars have so much oil that it builds up as you smoke if it was smoking hot it would make it even worse. So when you got down there the oil and tar was just too much and the thing was just to wet to smoke.
  • Options
    The cigar had about 5-6 weeks in my humidor and it wasn't smoking hot, at least to me it wasn't. Just confused me a bit when it happened. However, what I got to smoke was great. Probably going to pick some more up soon, after I smoke the Unlimited I have.
  • Options
    tjptjp Posts: 26
    Did you throw it out? Im curious if somehow maybe the center was too moist?? I havent had that issue, but hopefully if anyone has and has opened up there cig and see whats happening. With the btu from the flame should light even slightly moist tobacco, but since it didnt curiosity kills....
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Overheating, which is a symptom of smoking too fast usually is the cause behind this.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if the humidor is too moist you will get this. if this was sitting just under the humidification device then that could explain all.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I have this problem on occassion with the double espresso for some reason. I always make sure the cigar doesn't have any soft spots before lighting. If it does, I give it a bit more time.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Overheating, which is a symptom of smoking too fast usually is the cause behind this.

Thanks. Guess I'll just have to buy some more and pay close attention to my smoking pace :-D.

kuzi16:
    if the humidor is too moist you will get this. if this was sitting just under the humidification device then that could explain all.

This cigar wasn't directly under the humidifier, but it is only a 20 count humidor; don't worry 150 count is being delivered Thursday. But the humidity was/is around 65-67. Thanks for the heads up though too.