Home Cigar 101

Re-commission a humi

tjptjp Posts: 26
I currently am running out of space in my humi, so until i can find a humi i like im re commissioning a smaller older humi (the cigar.com balck humi)  Currently there are those small cigars you give to people who dont smoke, but they want to fit in, they are pretty dry and its time to trash them.  So....my question is once those cheap cigars are trashed and the humi is empty, do i re season the humi as if it were new? or some other trick.  Also is there a way to clean the humi for possible beetles?  I havent seen any yet and my current humi is beetle free I'd hate to loose some great sticks( Im thinking crappy cigars could be a beetle breeding ground).  Just want to be cautious.  Once the humi is ready to go I plan on slowely transfering a few good sticks over and watch to see what happens, leaving the great ones where there at.  Any suggestions with the re-commission of the old humi??

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I think you're on the right path in your thinking. I believe re-seasoning the humi just as you did when it was new (with the bowl of distilled water, humidification device of your choice and a digital hygrometer) is the way to go. However, if you're concerned about possible beetle problems, perhaps sticking the humi (opened if possible) in a freezer for a few days would probably take care of it - then you could get down to the business of re-seasoning it.

Have to admit Im talking out my @ss a bit here, as I have never had to deal with beetles before, and I have only read about how BOTL have dealt with beetle infested sticks (freezing them) but dont remember anyone dealing with an infested humidor before. Surely someone on here has, and can give you more definite answers as to how they did it, bu this makes sense to me.

Of course, if you quit procrastinating and just order the cigar tower humi instead this would all be a moot point... :-D Good luck!

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    From my own experiences, The Sniper is right - just season it the way you would a new one. As for his advice about the freezer . . . I've heard of doing that with sticks, but not a humi, so I've no idea what it'll do. If you decide to freeze it, be sure to let it spend a day or two in the fridge afterwards, so it can gradually re-acclimate (at least, that's what you do with cigars that are infested)
  • tjptjp Posts: 26
    Thanks all for the advice, I just trashed those crap sticks, gave the box a good wipe down with distilled, and a small bowl of distilled going to sit in it for a day or 2, then ill throw a humi meter in it and see where it sets, then slowely start moving sticks over.  Seems I have more comming in than im smoking, going to work on that problem now, just dont know were to start  its all so tempting
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    A quick and easy fix for your excess volume of sticks: the coolidor.
    Light 'em up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont worry about the beetles if you havent seen them. just keep your temps lower than 70, or 75 at the max and you should all be good.

yes beetles suck. but if you keep the temp low and the RH between 65% and 70% you should not have to worry.