Home Cigar 101

Traveling with a cigar without proper storage

My in-laws are in Mexico and are going to purchase some cigars for me however the cigars will travel back in the suitcase only without any humidifaction and I will not get them until Christmas. Will this process damage the cigar beyond saving? How long can a cigar stay in the open?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Not very long, like I wouldn't leave a cigar in the open for more than 6 hours, and I wouldn't leave a closed box unhumidified for more than a few days. If you can, have them store your cigars in a ziploc type bag and maybe put a damp square of sponge in it, that should keep your cigars in good shape.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    How much do the in-laws know about cigars? Certain cigars they might be buying are highly faked, just FYI. Advice above is spot on with regards to storage.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    dlmvh5150:
    My in-laws are in Mexico and are going to purchase some cigars for me however the cigars will travel back in the suitcase only without any humidifaction and I will not get them until Christmas. Will this process damage the cigar beyond saving? How long can a cigar stay in the open?
    i would just tell your in-laws "if you dont by some type of water pillow/whatever for it then you will be spending your money for nothing" just to make sure its still ok just incase its beyond saving
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    How much do the in-laws know about cigars? Certain cigars they might be buying are highly faked, just FYI.
    thats true. I would venture that about 80-90% of ISOMs that are bought in mexico are fake.
  • The cigars they purchase are rolled in Mexico at local places so they aren't a brand however I've had them before and enjoyed them but I travel with a humidor case when I go. Just for my info what intails a highly faked cigar...fake brands or the fillers/leaves used?
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    dlmvh5150:
    The cigars they purchase are rolled in Mexico at local places so they aren't a brand however I've had them before and enjoyed them but I travel with a humidor case when I go. Just for my info what intails a highly faked cigar...fake brands or the fillers/leaves used?
    Fake would mean; not actually produced by the Manufacturer. "Counterfeit".
  • dlmvh5150:
    The cigars they purchase are rolled in Mexico at local places so they aren't a brand however I've had them before and enjoyed them but I travel with a humidor case when I go. Just for my info what intails a highly faked cigar...fake brands or the fillers/leaves used?
    WHen they say fake, they're referring to cubans. If you asked them to get you cubans in mexico, chances are they're not actually cubans.

As for storage, I disagree with what others have said because I tend to think that cigars are a lot more adaptable than others think. Plenty of vendors ship with no humidity pillows, and they travel for 1+ weeks across the country, but they make it in good shape. I've left individual cigars out of my humidor for a few weeks and had no problems. It's not something I'd try to do, but if it's done then the cigars should be fine. Just make sure you put them in your humidor to stabilize after they give them to you.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Just don't buy Cubans out of country anywhere but a LCDH...
  • thanks everyone for the info!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I heard a rumor that a carrot in a ziploc will keep moisture near 70% but I have not tested it at all. One bonus is that you dont have water in potential contat with your cigar.
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    humm carrot infusion, I’m liking the savoury option :P
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    Goldy:
    I heard a rumor that a carrot in a ziploc will keep moisture near 70% but I have not tested it at all. One bonus is that you dont have water in potential contat with your cigar.
    brings a new meaning to carrot or the stick :p
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt even try that carrot idea.

think mold

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Didn't apple cores used to be the method of humidifying cigars? Of course, that still leaves the problem of rotting fruit and mold