Home Non Cigar Related

Things my dad taught me ...

We have a lot of threads about different stuff going on now. But I was just thinking about all the stuff my dad has been thru this year. From Cancer to bladder problems to heart valve replacement surgery to his own truck running over him ! Just thinking about him and what he taught me over the years and as a kid . Thought it would make an interesting thread if we could come on here and just mention one thing your dad or your mom taught you that stuck with you and helped you through out your life.

One thing my dad taught me was that it was ok to be wrong as long as you were honest about it and I think this is why I place such a high regard for integrity with friends and co-workers as well.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Treat your employees the way you wanna be treated. He ran his own business and he always told his people that if they finish their work early, they can go home early and he'll pay them as if they stayed the entire day
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Sounds like a shrewd man xmacro
  • my mom and dad taught me to never let a day go by that you don't tell your loved ones that you love them. i learned a very hard lesson on this. a few years ago i lost my son to a drunk driver. i had my own business and he was in another town starting his own business. i hadn't talked with him for a few days when he passed away. i never really got to tell him at the end how i felt. i do not let that happen now. always live each day like it is your last as tomorrow is never promised.
  • One my Granda said. "Don't trust a preacher who doesn't smoke, drink, or cuss. Better if its all 3."
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    My dad taught me how to be a good man - honest, caring, trustworthy, hard-working, and dedicated to family.

My mom taught me to spend money like I just busted outta jail... (working on this one lol)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    He taught me to look at my girlfriends moms....... cuz thats what the girlfriend would grow up looking like. Smart man.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    my dad used to tell me "Early bird gets the worm" and "before you ever ask a girl to be your gf, look at her mom because that's what she will look like after she has kids" and "family comes first", "golf comes second after family but 1st before girls"
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    My dad taught me responsibility, integrity, duty, believing in something bigger than yourself and above all else, never ever give up.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    My mom taught me one thing: mental toughness. That is one tough lady.
    Light 'em up.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mom taught me to keep fighting when the odds are against you. She had stage 4 *** cancer and the doctor told her to tell us goodbye because she only had weeks. Well, she wasn't giving up and it was another 4 years she gave us since she decided she wasn't going to lay down and die. I miss her and am sad that she has many grandchildren she never met. Don't lay down and die people. Keep fighting and believe!
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    My Dad taught me the crazy girls are the freakiest in bed and the most fun.

He also taught me the one thing you never buy cheap is things for your bed. He said if you don't get the best rest possible you won't be able to do you're best work possible.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my dad taught me the newspaper trick....

i think that the one thing my dad taught me that i value the most is to hold on to individuality.

i like to think that i have.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Just remembered another one - Never be cheap with yourself or your family. Don't buy cheap *** - spend the few extra bucks to buy quality, take care of it, and it'll last forever
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    My dad taught me things a bit differently. I learned what to do by watching what he did, and doing the opposite. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but that only came in the latter part of my life.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    My dad taught me things a bit differently. I learned what to do by watching what he did, and doing the opposite. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but that only came in the latter part of my life.
    i think there is a bit of that in everyones dad. I learned something valuable from my dad that way:
    Make sure you love your job.
    if you hate your job your entire life will be brought down by it.
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    "if you cant take it, dont give it. "

although I've been thinking about this recently and have decided it only applies to non-sexual situations
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    My Dad has taught me lots of good lessons over the years. Treat others how you want to be treated is at the top of that list. Pretty cool to see him these days, passing his life lessons on to the grandkids.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dad taught me to never ask someone who works for you to do something you wouldn't do yourself. I've tried to live by that throughout my career and teach it to my sons, one who is a police Sergeant and one who is a Captain in the 82nd Airborne.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think a lot of the stuff my Dad taught me was unintentional. One of the big ones I learned was not to be a hypocrite. He was really big into "Do as I say, not as I do". I could see through that nonsense then as a child, and now that I have a kid of my own I can see he see's though it too. You have walk the walk, and not just talk the talk if you want your kids to listen and actually believe what you say.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Do the right thing - even when its not the easy thing.

ESPECIALLY when its not the easy thing.

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Some of the most important things my dad taught me was to have a sense of humor and to always carry a pocket knife. I use both of those lessons every day; humor keeps me sane and I use my knife every single day on the job.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Do the right thing - even when its not the easy thing.

ESPECIALLY when its not the easy thing.

Yes sir! My Father also taught me HOW to work. The man was a machine when working. Even in my prime years I struggled to keep up with him. In my family you did not fight with each other. You were required to always be civil even when disagreeing
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    fla-gypsy:
    Yes sir! My Father also taught me HOW to work. The man was a machine when working. Even in my prime years I struggled to keep up with him.
    H3LL YEAH! My Dad taught me that you are signing your name to your work with your craftsmanship and the finished product... not a lot of people seem to understand that these days.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    My dad taught me how to be a good cop...... be honest, keep your nose clean, keep your mouth shut unless spoken to and back up your partners.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    cabinetmaker:
    +1 Cabbie, He sobered up while I was still young but was still knda a douche until I was 18 then he taught me how to forgive by being there for me during the toughest part of my life when he was never there before. Sadly he passed away a year after we really started to bond. at the ripe old age of 49..... oldest a Foster man in our family has lasted so far.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    My dad taught me how to be a good cop...... be honest, keep your nose clean, keep your mouth shut unless spoken to and back up your partners.
    Your father was/is a very wise man. I just hope I've passed that same wisdom to two of my sons who are cops.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    lilwing88:
    Your father was/is a very wise man. I just hope I've passed that same wisdom to two of my sons who are cops.
    The other bit of wisdom he passed on to me was, "It's all bulls**t, kid."

My dad is luckily still alive. He did 33 years on the job and retired at the ripe young age of 52. That was 12 years ago. Now he's my go-to babysitter. His rank at retirement was Patrolman (or Patrol Officer as they call it now....PC bulls**t). He didn't want any promotions. He did things his way and didn't owe anybody anything. No ass-kissing, no backstabbing and no bribe-taking..... Things that are sometimes necessary to get ahead in this department.

Which is why I will most likely retire at the age of 52 at the rank of Patrolman..... ;-)
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    My dad taught me. Being a man isn't about doing what you want to do, it means doing what you need to do
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    My dad taught me. Being a man isn't about doing what you want to do, it means doing what you need to do
    .. the very same lessons taught by my father. Also, always tell the truth, respect your elders, always call adults Mr. or Mrs. none of this six year old kids calling adults by their first name crap, and... he taught me how to fish.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    My dad taught me how to fix a car right. I'd watch him work on the car, cuss at it, cuss at me, hand him the tools he asked for, cuss at the tools. Then when he was done, after spending the day on it - it still didn't run right. He taught me when I have engine problems, call a mechanic...