Home Cigar 101

Gurkha Sampler...

Ok I’m know it maybe a retarded question, but I’m very new to this and I just want to make sure I’m doing the right things to make sure I get the best effect from these wonderful cigars.. I recently got some cigars from this company and a herf-a-dor to store them in for now while I’m deployed to Iraq.. I read up all the information on this form about taking care of them and keeping them within the right humidity. so that I kinda have a grasp on.. Ok hey come the stupid question.. The individual cigars came in a plastic protective wrapper, now when I place them in the Herf-A-Dor do I take the cigars out of the plastic protective wrapper and place them in the box, or leave them in the wrapper with the humidifier in the box..? Just curious.

Comments

• Leave them in the wrapper to help protect them... If possible, Get some Humi pillows for that Herf Keep your head down and stay safe!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Cellophane or not is personal preference. For me personally, sticks that I put in my long term humidor, I usually take the cellophane off, as that helps aging. For stuff that goes in my every day humidor, that I root through on a regular basis, I keep the cello on, just to keep them from getting any unnecessary nicks and scratches. If I were you, I would leave the cello on. Thanks for everything you are doing for our country, by the way.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter, I leave mine on out of laziness.
    Light 'em up.
  • I agree with the others. I like to leave them on for a little extra protection while rummaging through for your next smoke :) Also like Mperconte said, make sure to have some humi pillows in that herf-a-dor, here in Iraq the dry air will do horrible things to your cigars. Also PM sent to you.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    +1000 on the humi-pillows. If you have a 15-ct or higher use 2 or more...... Leave cellos on.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    haha, yeah man, you just asked about one of the more debated topics around. People are pretty split one way or the other regarding the celophane, Leave it on or take it off. I take mine off for my humidor at home, becuase I like the way it Looks and smells in there, while alot of people leave the Celophane on in their humidor as added protection. So, both answers are correct and it all comes down to personal preference.

That being said, if I we're using a herf-a-dor exclusively, then I'd probably leave the Celophane on for an added layer of protection against the foam. Honeslty though man, there's no wrong answer.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I spent 13 months in Iraq about a year ago and I found if you leave them in the celo it helps keep the dirt and grit out durig those wonderful sands storms they have over there. Now i know you're thinking that you have them safely locked in the herf but trust me that Iraqi sand will get everywhere no matter what. Are you up north or down south? Stay safe!! JUST SAY NO TO "EFP's"