Home Cigar 101

Cigar Tube question

Ok here is another question from the new guy. Should I take my cigars out of there tube since i am putting them in my humidor? Or should i just put the whole thing in my humidor?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if the cigar blender/makers wanted you to store them out of the tube they came in then they wouldnt have put em in there.

personally, i never even buy a cigar in a tube unless i can tell its never been opened. i then put it in the humidor and never open it. they wanted it in that atmosphere for a reason. im gunna leave it there. do i know that reason?

im not 100% but i think it has to do with how fast/slow it should be aged. Often there is a cedar sheath inside the tube. this will also effect the flavor.

in short
    leave them in the tube. dont open em.

now its time for people to disagree with me...
  • Thanks for the info
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    now its time for people to disagree with me...
    And on that note...

While I would generally agree, for the sake of the thread I'll play Devil's advocate. I think it doesn't matter whether you store it in-tube or out of tube, but that the tube simply acts as a means of keeping a more constant humidity and offers an extra level of protection for the cigar. Aside from those factors, I don't think it makes a difference if you leave them sealed in the tube or take them out.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi, do you know why some of the more "higher" end cigars don't come with tubes or celo? Like Fuente Anejo, opus x, padron 26/64..?
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Kuzi, do you know why some of the more "higher" end cigars don't come with tubes or celo? Like Fuente Anejo, opus x, padron 26/64..?
    The Anejo and Opus both come with cello. In fact the cello for both has gold lettering on it. As for why other premiums have no cello, I would guess it's just the manufacturer thinks it looks better that way.
    I'd agree with looks, and also because I'd imagine they probably intend for a higher end cigar to be box aged, in which case the protection offered by cellophane would not be needed. Of course, this is all assumption on my part, I really have no idea what their reasoning is behind anything.
    Could be based somewhat in tradition too. Handmade cubans aren't cello'd, only the cheaper / machine made sticks have cellophane.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    Could be based somewhat in tradition too. Handmade cubans aren't cello'd, only the cheaper / machine made sticks have cellophane.
    old style cubans have no cello. but there are cubans in tubes.
    True. I've seen a few tubos. Otherwise, everything I've seen has been nekked in the box.
    Scrambler:
    phobicsquirrel:
    The Anejo and Opus both come with cello. In fact the cello for both has gold lettering on it. As for why other premiums have no cello, I would guess it's just the manufacturer thinks it looks better that way.
    Thanks Scrambler, for some reason my anejo didn't come with one..
    j0z3r:
    I'd agree with looks, and also because I'd imagine they probably intend for a higher end cigar to be box aged, in which case the protection offered by cellophane would not be needed. Of course, this is all assumption on my part, I really have no idea what their reasoning is behind anything.
    The more I think about it, I'd agree with your assumption.. Makes sense to me at least. All I know I feel that cigars that have some protection rather than being naked would do better in a humi with all other kinds of cigars, though I may just be wrong on that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:
    The more I think about it, I'd agree with your assumption.. Makes sense to me at least. All I know I feel that cigars that have some protection rather than being naked would do better in a humi with all other kinds of cigars, though I may just be wrong on that.
    They absolutely would do better with protection, that's why I like to keep the cellophane on any loose sticks I have. In the box, however, I don't care one way or the other, since I keep the cigars in the box and only handle them when I'm about to smoke one.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    When you receive my shipment, Feebs, you'll see the Opus wrapper.
    j0z3r:
    That may be the intent, but the truth is that most of those cigars have such limited availability, they rarely get sold as boxes. Dealers won't sell one customer that many.
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    That may be the intent, but the truth is that most of those cigars have such limited availability, they rarely get sold as boxes. Dealers won't sell one customer that many.
    I wonder if dealers won't or if ccom and other online shops won't due to the limited availability + the massive customer base as compared to your typical B&M. I'm pretty sure that if I walked into a shop around here and wanted to buy a box of OpusX they'd be falling all over themselves to get my money and send me on my way. In reality, they don't care if everyone gets a slice of the pie, just that they get their money.
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    I wonder if dealers won't or if ccom and other online shops won't due to the limited availability + the massive customer base as compared to your typical B&M. I'm pretty sure that if I walked into a shop around here and wanted to buy a box of OpusX they'd be falling all over themselves to get my money and send me on my way. In reality, they don't care if everyone gets a slice of the pie, just that they get their money.
    Maybe. My B&M has a 2-of-any-size, 4-total-max policy on OpusX's.
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    All the hard to find (Opus, Anejo, Hemingway Maduro, certain Ashtons, etc) are the same around here - 2 per person per day. There is some wiggle room for regular customers, but they're not gonna sell you a box. They'd rather keep them on the shelf because it brings in business. They're all gonna get sold one way or the other, but there is likely to be more sales of other stuff if they ration these.
    Interesting point, you guys are probably right...I suppose that having the cigars on the shelf with a limit would see people more inclined to buy other cigars as well.
    Scrambler:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    All the hard to find (Opus, Anejo, Hemingway Maduro, certain Ashtons, etc) are the same around here - 2 per person per day. There is some wiggle room for regular customers, but they're not gonna sell you a box. They'd rather keep them on the shelf because it brings in business. They're all gonna get sold one way or the other, but there is likely to be more sales of other stuff if they ration these.
    consider yourselves lucky that you have a cigar shop near by that has the good ones, the one's around me really don't have the hard to find sticks..
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    phobicsquirrel:
    consider yourselves lucky that you have a cigar shop near by that has the good ones, the one's around me really don't have the hard to find sticks..
    I feel your pain. I wouldn't even consider the shops around my hometown to be official "B&M", they usually only carry about 5 different boxes of cigars in an either overly or under humidified display. If I buy sticks from a B&M, it means I'm at least 80 miles from home. Thank god for ccom