Home Ratings & Reviews

My Review of La Cuna Habano Torpedo.

JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
I've had about five of these lately, mostly because it was all I had to smoke until very recently when I acquired some new sticks. Some of my comments pertain to my overall experience with these but the review itself is of the one I smoked last night.

The pre-light aroma was a cowhide-like leather and barnyard. The pre-light draw tasted very much like tobacco with a hint of vanilla.

A quick word on my experiences with torpedos: This might bring up memories of the thread where we were talking about people doing stupid things, but I was originally making a sideways cut on these. Why? Well, no reason other than I saw the guy who worked at the B&M back home do it. It had been working ok, except for some unraveling. Anyway, after some reading I just decided to find out for myself, so I started cutting these just straight across. I cut very little at first, making the draw very tight, then if I felt my jaw was about to dislocate, I'd cut a little more and open it up a bit. Anyway...

This is a very consistent smoke all the way through, though it is not very complex. The initial draw is very woody, like sawdust fresh off the mill, with a slightly bitter finish, like a raw tamarindo bean (if any of you are Mexican you will know what this is).

One thing about this stick is that I learned to take my time with it. I rushed it at first and it was a real gut-puncher. I took close to two hours with this one, probably a bit much, I think an hour and 45 minutes is probably a better time for this stick. The second half of the stick does get a bit more oaky, but that's about it.

Overall a solid stick. I picked up a box of these during the black Friday sale, so the price was right.
Happy smokes.
Light 'em up.

Comments

• Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Great cigar for the money.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    She sure is.
    Light 'em up.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I picked up 10 of these guys and smoked one after about a month of resting and was very impressed with the construction and burn of it ... I felt that it was a great stick for the money and would have no problems handing them out to people and even taking them out to the golf course ( which by that time they will have about 6 months of rest ) I think I paid less than 1.50 per ..... not bad glad I grabbed them and great to see a nice review on them .
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    I picked up 10 of these guys and smoked one after about a month of resting and was very impressed with the construction and burn of it ... I felt that it was a great stick for the money and would have no problems handing them out to people and even taking them out to the golf course ( which by that time they will have about 6 months of rest ) I think I paid less than 1.50 per ..... not bad glad I grabbed them and great to see a nice review on them .
    I agree. Seems like a versatile stick; you can sit and enjoy it, or take it golfing, etc. I smoked two back to back on my birthday at a cigar bar and had a great time with them. They were mellow enough not to knock me out, but still gave me a good buzz.
    Light 'em up.