Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Need Some Audiophile Input Here Fellas...

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
So, I'm moving into a new apartment soon, and I am looking to implement a new audio system into the living space. I don't have any kind of decent TV right now, so even though cable comes with my apartment the only tv will be in my bedroom - in other words, I am looking for a strictly-audio-only setup right now. Some of my qualifications:

A) Needs to be relatively compact - I can't use 3ft tall, 2ft wide towers in this room, but I cAn use skinny towers..
B) Needs to have good range... My regular listening is classical and opera, but I also kick it into rap and hard rock. Thinking most like a 2-channel or 2.1 setup.
C) Ideally can use multiple sources of audio - cd, mp3, computer...even TV if possible so that it would serve even more use in the future.
D) Economical... as in >$200, and realistically as cheap as possible w/o sacrificing too much in quality. I already plan on buying used...

So, that's where I'm at. I already know I could just go buy a home-theater-in-a-box setup, but I'm hoping to get some more informed input here. Any help?
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I'm no audio expert (just a hobby of mine) but I do love a good sound system. Looking at your parameters and budget, I'd have to go with a nice bookshelf system. I've had a couple in the past that have excellent sound quality and depth. Sony still makes some good ones in your price range and most have aux inputs for your devices. Some like the one I posted below even have a subwoofer for a little extra bass. I don't think you'd get the sound you are looking for with a HT in a box that is in that price range IMHO. Just a thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MHC-EC909iP-hi-fi-music-system/dp/B003GZDB1Q/ref=pd_sim_e_2
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    If it was me, I would go for a set of really nice bookshelf speakers, and a used receiver. I'm sure there are a bunch of them laying around different places. Hell If you need an old receiver, I have an old receiver laying around. If you hook up a dvd player to it, you can usually play mp3's in cd format, and get tons of music on a cd...Lots of options for cheap. But the most important part of it is a decent set of speakers. Garage sales kick a$s for old audio stuff. let me know if you need more in depth help
  • Options
    Ya know, somehow this thread seemed to assist in me finding what I'm looking for. I haven't purchased it yet, but considering that I could likely get it at Best Buy for $109, minus the $30 I have in Best Buy GCs, it seems like a total win: Sony Bookshelf System Linky

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Grr...ok... So, I did some more reading, and now I'm not sure if that Sony unit is quite as good as I'm looking for (still a viable option). However, anybody have ideas that are more along the lines of that Sony unit, versus the first one that T_Evan recommended?

• Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Radio Shack used to make some speakers called the minimus 7 - you can find them used on ebay. Because they were cheap, all of my friends had them back in the day. I'd look for a decent used pair of those, over some of the newer plastic stuff.