Home Cigar 101
Options

Mold on the Cigar

mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭

I have a friend who found mold on one of his cigars.  It's not on the humi or any of the other cigars, at least as far as he can tell.  First, can this particular cigar be saved?  Second, should he toss the ones that the molded cigar was resting on?  Again, there's no mold on the humi itself, what else should he do / be aware of? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Chances are, if there's mold on one of his cigars, the spores have already spread to the rest of the humi. Take all the cigars out and put them in a ziplock bag with some humidification pillows. As for the infested stick, if the mold has penetrated into the filler, I'd suggest throwing it out. If it's just on the wrapper, he can wipe it off and smoke it (but do NOT put that in the bag with the other cigars).

Mix a little big of white vinegar with distilled water and gently wipe down the humidor with it (DO NOT SOAK). The vinegar solution will kill the spores in the humi. Then, put some old newspaper in and keep the lid open so that it airs out for a day (or until it stops smelling of vinegar, whichever takes longer). After that, season the humidor again and make sure he uses a gel or bead humidifier if he isn't already as the green sponge humidifiers are mold and fungus magnets. He would do best to keep it as close as possible to 70 Fahrenheit and 65 to 70 rh.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    haha, dang dude . . . 10 minutes after the question, this is about the most thourough answer I've ever seen. haha. good for you, I got nothing to add.

I had some mold issues a while back, it can suck, but if you do this, all isn't lost.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Go ahead and send me the humidor and the sticks and I'll do a full inspection to verify if the cigars are tasting ok.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    mfotis:

I have a friend who found mold on one of his cigars.  It's not on the humi or any of the other cigars, at least as far as he can tell.  First, can this particular cigar be saved?  Second, should he toss the ones that the molded cigar was resting on?  Again, there's no mold on the humi itself, what else should he do / be aware of? Thanks

A picture sure would help. Sometimes a little green spot that may appear to be mold to some is really just a spot of under fermented leaf, it happens. is the spot fuzzy? does it appear to be above the surface of the leaf or on the leaf? If it is mold, then whang has layed out the way to go.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I'll print out this chain and pass it along to him.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the possibility that it could be plume (or bloom). Is it white? If so, do a search for plume or bloom on here. It is natural and a sign of a well aged cigar.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Heavy:
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the possibility that it could be plume (or bloom). Is it white? If so, do a search for plume or bloom on here. It is natural and a sign of a well aged cigar.
    Possible, yes, but not likely. Plume is far rarer than you would think. Mold can be white. Plume is more silvery, and crystalline.