Home Cigar 101

Humidor Question

I just found a crack in the bottom of the cedar lining in one of my humidors. It goes the entire width of the humidor and my humidity readings have been off of late. I'm thinking I'm leaking humidity between the lining and the walnut of the humidor box. So should I fill the crack with wood glue, silicone, not worry about it or use it as an excuse to tell the wife I need to buy a new humidor?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    tincup703:
    I just found a crack in the bottom of the cedar lining in one of my humidors. It goes the entire width of the humidor and my humidity readings have been off of late. I'm thinking I'm leaking humidity between the lining and the walnut of the humidor box.
    IIRC, humid air ises, so any humidity you're losing should be smaller than if the crack were in the top
    tincup703:
    So should I fill the crack with wood glue, silicone, not worry about it
    You could probably use some aquarium sealant - the stuff is odorless, clear, and non-toxic/safe for fish (so you gotta figure it's probably safe for humans too)
    tincup703:
    or use it as an excuse to tell the wife I need to buy a new humidor?
    I think most BOTL's on these boards would agree this is the best choice - then tell the wife that humidors keep their humidity best/most stable when they're full of cigars Big Smile [:D]
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Clearly that humidor is no longer serviceable and needs to be replaced by a much larger one!Big Smile [:D]
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I would not put glue or silicone in it. I am a fan of duct tape though.. That and new humidors.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Plan A: New Humidor!!!

Plan B: Do Nothing. Seriously. I'd be afraid that any glue or sealant would be a nasty, chemical ridden addition to the inside of a humidor which would adversely affect the aroma. It isn't worth the risk. The spanish cedar is cracked, no big deal. The wood the box is constructed from is still in tack and so the amount of humidity leaking out through solid wood is sincerely minimal even with the crack in the cedar, which is extremely porous anyway.

Everybody loses humidity in the winter months. A little extra watching of RH is all that's needed, or perhaps your hygro got banged and is now mis-adjusted.
  • tell the wife " tis the season and ive been a good boy all year" lol f%$K the glue! splurge, and buy a new humi. i wouldnt risk ruining my sticks over tryin to fix a crack. good luck
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    If you can't duct it, fuct it!