Home Cigar 101

shaggy?

ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
How do you smoke the shaggy. Do you cut the extra bit up or do you light that part and puff away for a different experience?

Comments

• NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    This is by far my fav smoke so far. I just light the shaggy tip and puff away, its a tiny bit different until it burns past the shaggy point. It also lights a bit easier. Very tasty smoke.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    How do you smoke the shaggy. Do you cut the extra bit up or do you light that part and puff away for a different experience?
    I've had one of these, and have two more sitting in my humi. I just lit up the shaggy end - yeah it was easier to light, but I had some burn issues for at least the first couple inches that irritated me. Good smoke though - mine could've lasted 3 hours if I didn't toss it.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • any other ideas out there i was wondering this too recently after alex was talking about the new MOW shaggy comin out..never smoked one before
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    smokeater187:
    any other ideas out there i was wondering this too recently after alex was talking about the new MOW shaggy comin out..never smoked one before
    Just light it like you would any other cigar, or do whatever you want...despite the rigid rights and wrongs some will tell you, the only proper way to deal with a cigar is what works best for you.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    smokeater187:
    any other ideas out there i was wondering this too recently after alex was talking about the new MOW shaggy comin out..never smoked one before
    Yea I've wanted to try a shaggy for a long time! This MOW is going to be the perfect excuses!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    You shouldn't have any problems just lighting the filler hanging out. I have smoked a couple of Viaje Summerfest torps (which have like two inches of shaggy filler hanging out), and those benefit from getting snipped, but the Gurkha shaggy is not too long to just light...
  • Thewelder:
    Sniper asked the same thing a while back, I gave him some advice and it seemed to have worked well for him. I hope it helps you, too.

"When it comes to lighting a shaggy there are a few tricks you need to complete to get it proper, on the second wednesday of every month, set your alarm for 2:13am, when it goes off and wakes you up there will be a man outside your bedroom window. His name is Hank. Give Hank a handful of raisins and he'll take you to the 'Shaggy Lair'. Bring plenty of water because it's a bit of a walk. When you arrive there are a dozen or so puzzle based traps you and Hank will have to work together in order to disarm but don't worry, Hank has been through them plenty of times before so just listen to his advice. After the traps you'll arrive upon the 'Shaggy Pedastal'. On the pedastal there is a lighter exactly the same model and brand and amount of fluid as yours, so quickly, without releasing the pressure sensative trap under the torch, swap your lighter with the one provided. With you new 'Shaggy-lighting approved lighter', You simply light the foot normally."
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    love it.
    One God, One Truth
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    The Camacho PE is a shaggy as well, but is a closed-foot shaggy. Basically the opposite of what someone would normally think a shaggy is. I think Alex mentioned it in that thread about the MOW shaggy coming out. The general idea is that it gives you the chance to taste either the filler (as is the case with the Gurkha, Viaje Summerfest, etc) or the wrapper (Camacho PE, MOW shaggy) by itself before getting into the overall blend.

IMHO, I think that if every company offered their robusto in a shaggy foot, it would really contribute in a positive way to the smoking experience as a whole. Obviously, other sizes wouldn't all be shaggy, but the chance to smoke a shaggy version of every blend out there would really allow you to appreciate each individual blend and what it brings to the table.