Home Cigar 101

Humidors

Good afternoon,

Do I take my cigars out of their plastic wrappers when I put them in to my Humidor?

Comments

• ShikaShika Posts: 13
    Hi snowboard. First, the cigars are wrapped in cellophane, not plastic. This is important because cellophane is porous, allowing it to "breathe" air and humidity. Cellophane is also a plant-derived material. If you look around on the forum, there have been a lot of discussions about this very topic. The general consensus, I believe, is that it is better to leave the cigar in the cellophane to protect it from chipping or splitting due to handling.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey snowboard and shika, Why didn't you guys come through the Newbie welcoming door ??
    So, welcome to both of you..Yeah, alot of talk lately about cello on or off, and I always keep the cello on. I don't want my sticks cracked or chipped. Now go back and enter properly through the newbie door. ;}
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Shika:
    Hi snowboard. First, the cigars are wrapped in cellophane, not plastic. This is important because cellophane is porous, allowing it to "breathe" air and humidity. Cellophane is also a plant-derived material. If you look around on the forum, there have been a lot of discussions about this very topic. The general consensus, I believe, is that it is better to leave the cigar in the cellophane to protect it from chipping or splitting due to handling.
    STALKER!!!
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Scrambler:
    STALKER!!!

Don't you "regulars" know that you have a following reads every last post! I would call them fans.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Are any of them young, hot, and female? Cuz otherwise, I'd call them "useless." ;)
    This particular one is.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Oh, well, in that case . . . ahem ahem . . . uh, how you dooin'?
  • Speaking of humidors, I just read a recommendation that the wall thickness should be 5/8 inches or more. Mine is 3/8, I guess because it is not expensive. I do find my rh and temp varies over 24 hr period. It's a desktop I keep in my office about a foot from an outside wall. I kept it on a shelf for a while that had a light under it that kept the shelf only slightly warm, which helped the rh, but the temp would get up to 77 during the day, then drop over night after turing off the light.  But off the shelf, closer to an outside wall the rh drops to 60%, especially as the weather is getting colder and outside rh last night was 28%. I plan on trying different spots in the office that are more sheltered. Might need another humidification source during cold, dry weather, then reduce it when the hot, humid summer gets here. Any other ideas?  Humi is about 1/2 full . . . need more smokes!
  • ShikaShika Posts: 13
    I feel the need to respond to this thread, but I've yet to decide exactly how I'm going to do that.
    Shika:
    I feel the need to respond to this thread, but I've yet to decide exactly how I'm going to do that.
    Maybe it would be easier if you do what Kas said and come in through the newbie door, instead of thinking you can sneak around and follow me in through the "regulars" entrance.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Scrambler:
    This particular one is.
    Now that comment makes sense...I was trying to figure out what the hell you were getting at. lol
    j0z3r:
    Scrambler:
    This particular one is.
    Now that comment makes sense...I was trying to figure out what the hell you were getting at. lol
    lol, she's been lurking for a while, picking up far more cigar knowledge than she would care to admit, but I was suprised to see that she had actually posted.