Home Cigar 101

Growing cigar tobacco - who does it?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Well, I've heard that some blenders grow their own tobacco, controlling everything from A to Z in-house. Anyone have any more info on this?

All I've heard is that Davidoff does it, as well as Fuente and Padron - so is there anyone else?

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I think the Plasencia's are big growers of their own and others tobacco based on articles I have read
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    oliva grows their own... and kinda sell it to themselves. Oliva cigar and oliva tobacco are different companies...
    they sell tobacco to damn near every brand you can imagine.

camacho grows some of their own stuff... perdomo does some...

im having a hard time off the top of my head. if i remember in the morning i will do a bit of digging and figure some out.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Doesn't Fuente also grow their own?
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    One2gofst:
    They do. The Opus X came about when they decided to grow their own wrapper leaf in the DR, which was unheard of at the time.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    I think RP does their own also.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    sightunseen:
    One2gofst:
    They do. The Opus X came about when they decided to grow their own wrapper leaf in the DR, which was unheard of at the time.
    That's what I thought. I recalled this because of The Forbidden City, which was planted at a different time of year than usual so it would be mature for the shots they needed in the movie, which led to the line.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    Since RP contracts out their cigars, chances are slim to none that they grow their own tobacco. Now a company like Perdomo that has its own factory and fields is an example of a company that grows its own. In fact, there is an interesting video made by Perdomo showing the planting of seedlings, they use a tractor pulled planting machine that drops the seedlings into the planting rows in perfectly spaced intervals, fertilizes and compacts the earth around it. Very cool machine, and I'm very interested to see what comes out of the Perdomo factory in about 2-3 years.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I've heard thatLitto Gomez grows all his tobacco for the signature brand and his La Flor Dominicana brand as well.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    j0z3r:
    RaschNuts:
    Since RP contracts out their cigars, chances are slim to none that they grow their own tobacco. Now a company like Perdomo that has its own factory and fields is an example of a company that grows its own. In fact, there is an interesting video made by Perdomo showing the planting of seedlings, they use a tractor pulled planting machine that drops the seedlings into the planting rows in perfectly spaced intervals, fertilizes and compacts the earth around it. Very cool machine, and I'm very interested to see what comes out of the Perdomo factory in about 2-3 years.
    i was just basing it on the videos that have on their website seemed like they referrenced their farm and factory but i could have miss understood.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Pretty sure any blend from the Plasencia family contains mostly their tobacco (Cuba Libre comes to mind), since they are the biggest leaf farmers in the world.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    j0z3r:
    RaschNuts:
    i was just basing it on the videos that have on their website seemed like they referrenced their farm and factory but i could have miss understood.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think RP has a factory.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Ya from what I know, RP buys his tobacco. I dont think he grows anything, but they can call it "their factory". Oliva is the largest producer of tobaccos fwiw.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    I think RP does a little of both, I think he grows some of his own and buys and contracts w/ other companies to make cigars (like General Cigar for Vintage 1999 as an example) but I have also seen videos of his factories, and how he plants...grows his own tobacco.

"Long ashes my friends."