Home General Discussion

My first cigar.com order - how'd I do?

I'm new to the cigar.com experience, but I wanted to try a lot of different cigars. I'm also a student so keeping the price low is always a consideration. Also, this might sound slightly odd but I do almost all of my cigar smoking with my girlfriend so I tried as much as possible to stick to packages with even numbers. So here's what I ordered -

COTM club (double) - $50 All gurkhas - 4x titan, 2x legend perfecto, 2x legend churchill, 2x Centurion
Man O' War Sampler - $60 4x each corona, double corona, toro, torpedo, robusto
Man O' War Free Offer - $0 5 Man O' War Torpedos
Rocky Patel All Stars - $35 - 4 each Fusion toro, Double Maduro toro, and Signature Series toro
3 For 5 Sampler - $5 Man O' War Toro, Camacho 1962 Churchill, Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Robusto

Total (if purchased individually): $551.16
What I paid: $149.85 (72.8% off)
Average price per smoke: ~$3

So how did I do? The most obvious drawback to my purchase is that it included 26 Man O' Wars, not ideal because I'm looking for variety. But I work at a coffee shop and know a lot of guys who smoke, and some of them said they would trade. So that was my rationale.

Anyway, I'm excited! It'll take me forever to smoke all of these (my girlfriend and I try to keep it down to one stick a week each) but I'd like to put some away to age - which ones do you guys suggest?

Disclaimer: I'm fairly new with cigars. I know just enough to get myself into trouble. So if I did a silly thing, don't humor me, educate me!

Comments

• ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Doesn't look bad to me. I also got the Man O' War sampler, I've only smoked 1 or 2, but they are decent. A lot of people seem to think they might need more age, so those torpedos you have 9 of would be a good cigar to smoke at regular intervals over the next year to see how they develop.

Since you are looking for variety and don't smoke all that often, the COTMC will provide that for you.

Enjoy, and welcome.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Those RP dbl. maduros should age nicely.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about joining the club. I have 2 MOW's chilling in my humi, I'm hoping to light one in a few weeks. Looks like you saved some good money.
    for the COTM, are the first 5 always gurhkas?
  • uvacomuvacom Posts: 3
    phobicsquirrel:

Maybe - all I can say is I've had a 100% success rate in getting Gurkhas on my first month COTM order. ;)
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    phobicsquirrel:

It was kinda funny for me. They shipped me Octobers Maduros in the middle of September for my first order, then when I called them up, they sent me the 5 Gurkha's the begining of October. They acknowledged that they made a mistake, so my guess is that yes, you are supposed to get the 5 gurkhas on your first shipment.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:

As far as I know YES.
    hmm, I wonder I could trade up for 2 opus x's.. lol. Thanks for the info guys..
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    phobicsquirrel:

It was kinda funny for me. They shipped me Octobers Maduros in the middle of September for my first order, then when I called them up, they sent me the 5 Gurkha's the begining of October. They acknowledged that they made a mistake, so my guess is that yes, you are supposed to get the 5 gurkhas on your first shipment.
    Hey !! You got my shipment.. They sent me the Gurkha package again instead of the Maduros back in September.. But, I' m not complaining..
  • Don't care for the Gurkha Legends, but most love them. The Centurion's are excellent as are the Titan's.
    Man O' War that I had was good, but like others mentioned, give them a few months and I think they may be excellent. Was kind of flat in the middle IMO.
    And that DPG CC Robusto is awesome if you like fuller sticks.
    For around $3 a stick I think you did pretty well.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Sounds like an awesome order to me! I'm tempted to copy that order and get it for myself! I probably would but I spent a bit much at the Fuente event a couple weeks ago.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Sounds like a great order. Enjoy. I am jealous.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Looks like a great order to me. Especially for a beginner. My only advice is to get a Monster Humidor if that is your first purchase. All in all if you are getting $3 a stick when starting off you are doing great.
  • Good purchase. It's my goal to stay around $3 a stick. Rarely ever happens though.

I've yet to smoke a Man O' War but I haven't heard very many good things about them.