Home Cigar 101

First Humi... enlighten me

Hey all, Names Kevin, Been Burnin for a while started out in my 20s with Backwoods (dont judge me) and about 3 yrs ago A guy i work with Pete (RIP) turned me on to good cigars, Punch, H.Upmann, Partagas, and more. some I liked, and some i didnt. I lean toward mediummild stuff. Anyway, I usually smoke em when i buy em but i figured i would get a 20 stick humi and i dont really know shhhhh about it. Its got a little round black humidifier stuck in the lid and a pillow. I t just showed up today and i wanna know what i should do. I have seen some stuff about seasoning and salt tests but i dont wanna mess it up. Help a brother out TIA for the help

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ok, first things first - use the search function on the forum and look for "humidor seasoning" or just "seasoning" - you'll turn up TONS of threads about this

That said, you want an answer, not to be told "go google it" - so anyway, here's a quick run down to get you started:

- Salt test is a nice, cheap method by which you calibrate your hygrometer (that little doo-hickey that you stick in your humidor to tell you what the temperature and relative humidity (RH) is). It takes about 24 hrs to do, so you got time to go look around. Also know that Boveda packs can be bought that do the same thing as a salt test, if you don't wanna be bothered with salt.

Seasoning - If you haven't already, stick your cigars in a tupperware container with the little humidity pillow that ships out in Ccom packages - that'll hold you for a week (or forever, if you soak the pillow in distilled water when it gets low)

As for seasoning, you can buy Boveda packs that'll do this for you, but if you wanna do it yourself and save some money (the result is the same with or without a Boveda - a seasoned humi), here's a quick rundown:

some say to gently (keyword: GENTLY) wipe-down the interior of your humi with a soft, clean towel that's wet with DISTILLED water. Personally, I don't like it, since you take a chance warping the wood if you don't do it gently or do it too much, but it does speed the seasoning process. If you can wait the extra day or so that wiping will save, just put a shallow dish of distilled water in your humi for 3-5 days (it's a 20-count, so it'll be quicker than larger humi's) along with your hygro - after that, it should be seasoned, which means the wood has absorbed enough humidity to help regulate the RH in your humdor, and you can put your cigars in (put them in too early, and the wood will still absorb humidity, but it'll suck it from your cigars, making them dry)

Finally, first chance you get, dump that damn puck! Those things are prone to growing mold, which can and will spread to your cigars. Most of us swear by beads - and by beads, I mean Heartfelt (a tad expensive, but they last for years on end), or Conservagel (same thing as Heartfelt, just cheaper). The beads run on DISTILLED water (NOT tap water), which runs about $1.00 for a gallon. The beads are manufactured to released humidity below a certain RH, and absorb it above that. They come in different calibrations, from 65%, 70%, and 75% - which you choose depends on where you live - less humid regions will want a higher RH to compensate for their dry air, while humid regions will want a lower RH to compensate for their moister air)

Any more questions, just ask - the BOTL's on here are really knowledgeable.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    vvandall... there is already one mistake you have made:

you didnt buy a big enough humidor

...mark my words.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

...mark my words.
    +1, check out the coolidor thread. :D

If it's the same 20 stick humi from the CCOM box deal, I took the foam out of the puck and filled it with beads. I also took a tube and poked holes in it and filled it with beads. Keeps the humidity perfect.
    Light 'em up.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    JCizzle:
    kuzi16:

...mark my words.
    +1, check out the coolidor thread. :D

If it's the same 20 stick humi from the CCOM box deal, I took the foam out of the puck and filled it with beads. I also took a tube and poked holes in it and filled it with beads. Keeps the humidity perfect.
    I did the same thing with the 20 count that came with the camacho sampler. After a night or two of seasoning the thing is holding humidity great. The puck with the beads is enough.

• ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    kuzi16:

...mark my words.
    agreed with this man. i have a 50 ct and thought that may be enough...now i'm looking into a 300 ct. if you really start liking cigars and buying more then your 20 ct will fill up quick
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Tell me about it, filled up my 75 count in no time and will be looking into something much bigger soon.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive posted this before and im sure ill post it again:

If you are looking for a 20 count because you are "just starting out" and "dont need that many" then go with a 50 count.
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I want to pop in here and add two things..

1) Welcome to the forum bro. Great place here, good friends and lots of knowledge.
    2) Props to Xmacro for typing all that out instead of just sticking with "use the search button". I think we've all done that once or twice for a new guy, and he deserves his props.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨