Home Cigar 101

Humidor in the North East

Hi All,  I have searched the archives, and gotten some info but not exactly what I was looking for.  I am pretty much a nubie (less than a year) and now have 2 humidors.  The first was the 20 ct that came with Ccom introductory offer, the second is a 75 count that I am now seasoning before its first use. Everything was great (holding Rh of 68%) until the Vermont winter kicked in, now I am lucky if I can keep it above 63%.  I currently have the 20 ct full of gars and have two pillows in there but can't top 63, maybe 65.

I purchased a XiKAR 100 count puck with beads and the 70% PG solution for the new humi and hope that does the trick.  When I started noticing the problem I did reseason it but that did not last long.  I am also running a salt test on my hygrometer as I write this just to rule that out also.  I suspect that my problem is that it is cold and dry outside and I am just going to have to overboost the humidity in the winter.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Beads will definitely provide the most stability. Seeing how dry VT winters can be, maybe you should try humidifying the room the cigars are sitting in. The smaller the difference between the room's RH and the humi's RH, the less strain there will be on your beads
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Beads are your best friend when it comes to cigars. Simple to use, last forever, and they are cheap. Here's how I use mine (a half pound would be more than enough for a 75 ct humidor):

1. Using distilled water, get about 70% of the beads wet so they turn clear. Spray bottle does the trick
    2. Place beads in the pouch supplied with them in your humidor
    3. Place a shallow dish of distilled water next to the beads
    4. replace distilled water in dish when necessary

That's it! They work very, very well.

Also, welcome to the forums!
  • sightunseen:
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Beads will definitely provide the most stability. Seeing how dry VT winters can be, maybe you should try humidifying the room the cigars are sitting in. The smaller the difference between the room's RH and the humi's RH, the less strain there will be on your beads
    Thanks, the wife had me get a dehumidifier last summer for the basement, she will just love the idea of buying a humidifier for the room with my cigars
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I definitely second the beads for stability. However, if you are managing to keep the RH in the low- to mid-60s, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it. Unless your cigars just aren't smoking the way you like them, I don't think that's a huge drop and it's still within the range for humidification relatively speaking (esp for a VT winter) Just IMHO.
    Maybe just toss an extra humi pillow in if it gets too low.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    TatuajeVI:
    Do you leaving the dish in with the beads at all times or just to recharge then take out?
  • Diamondog:
    TatuajeVI:
    Do you leaving the dish in with the beads at all times or just to recharge then take out?
    I have not used the beads in the 20ct. I just had a couple of pillows. Not enought space to leave a dish in and still make room for the sticks. I think I will try beads instead of pillows. Thanks.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    You mentioned PG solution - don't use that with the beads, it'll ruin them
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    I definitely second the beads for stability. However, if you are managing to keep the RH in the low- to mid-60s, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it.

Personally, I love it when my 65% beads only manage to hold the RH at about 62%. My sticks all seem to burn a helluva lot better at that RH. Just My humble opinion.

Marty

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    63%-65% is perfect in my opinion, that's the range I prefer. In Maine I also have lower RH in the winter and I have to keep a closer eye on the hygro to make sure it doesn't get too low for too long. The dry winter is certainly a factor not to mention I heat 100% with wood which makes for an unusually dry atmosphere. Sounds lilke you're on top of it, during the winter you just have to stay on top of it a little bit more.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    bigharpoon:
    63%-65% is perfect in my opinion, that's the range I prefer. In Maine I also have lower RH in the winter and I have to keep a closer eye on the hygro to make sure it doesn't get too low for too long. The dry winter is certainly a factor not to mention I heat 100% with wood which makes for an unusually dry atmosphere. Sounds lilke you're on top of it, during the winter you just have to stay on top of it a little bit more.
    Agreed. I notced the same with my Humi's i have a 50ct and a 300 ct. The 300ct will stay closer to the 70%RH but with more watching then normal. Also the 50ct i havent gotten it up over 65% which is fine. Im not smokeing any of my cigars during the winter anyways yet. Just go to my B&M and buy one there to smoke. mine will get alot of age. But i think if you monitor it and it stays above 60% your good.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    MapleMan:
    Diamondog:
    TatuajeVI:
    I have not used the beads in the 20ct. I just had a couple of pillows. Not enought space to leave a dish in and still make room for the sticks. I think I will try beads instead of pillows. Thanks.
    I have the same 20 ct humi from CCOM and I used a water bottle cap to leave distilled water in there. Works fine.
    Light 'em up.
  • JCizzle:
    MapleMan:
    Diamondog:
    TatuajeVI:
    I have the same 20 ct humi from CCOM and I used a water bottle cap to leave distilled water in there. Works fine.
    Thanks JCizzle, I will give that a try. Well, the results of the salt test came back this morning. It was reading 69. Hmmm, 75-69=6, and 63+6 = 69. Guess I do not have a problem other than recalibrating the hygrometer. Maybe I will get a new one just to be safe. Thanks for all the input....Dan
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I don't mind when my RH% is a bit below the 65% that the beads profess to maintain. During the cold, dry winter it can be tough. Habanos perform better at lower RH%s also, and since my collection has recently taken an unbalanced swing in that direction, I guess that my Rh% is closer to 62% most days this winter, is no big deal.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Part of the problem (coming from a fellow New Englander) is the temp. Warmer air simply holds more moisture. If you can some how get the temp up a little more, I think you will see the RH% go up as well. MY $.02
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I was having the same issue with my humi's. (20 ct and 100 ct). In the 20 ct the pillows just don't cut it when you are heating your house...the air is very dry, I could put a thousand of them in there and they won't do anything...not without a bowl of distilled water. I tried everything and in the end it took reseasoning and leaving a small bowl with distilled water in it. For the past week it has stayed consistantly at 65%.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    docbp87:
    I don't mind when my RH% is a bit below the 65% that the beads profess to maintain. During the cold, dry winter it can be tough. Habanos perform better at lower RH%s also, and since my collection has recently taken an unbalanced swing in that direction, I guess that my Rh% is closer to 62% most days this winter, is no big deal.
    The beads are rated for 65% RH but they do have a range of 62 - 68 % RH. The other beads also have a range like this so the 70% beads range from 67 - 73% RH.
    I also like my sticks at a lower RH and the 65% beads keep them where I like them. We must have similar tastes as Habano is my favorite wrapper along with the Sumatra wrappers.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    docbp87:
    The beads are rated for 65% RH but they do have a range of 62 - 68 % RH. The other beads also have a range like this so the 70% beads range from 67 - 73% RH.
    I also like my sticks at a lower RH and the 65% beads keep them where I like them. We must have similar tastes as Habano is my favorite wrapper along with the Sumatra wrappers.
    That would explain my swing down to 62ish.