Home Cigar 101

What is a punch cutter on a lighter?

What is the punch cutter that I see on lighters in the cigar.com catalog I get? Is there a benefit to using that rather than a double blade cutter?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    just personal preference; most people prefer a double bladed gullotine, but some like a punch or a v-cut
  • I find that punch cutters work well on larger ring cigars but just a personal preference
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    i LOVE the punch... I only use cutters on torps... the punch works perfectly for me every time... but pay attention to the size of the punch relative to the ring gauge... example: the punch cutter on the Bugatti lighter is pretty small so you wouldn't want to use it on a NUB for example... I picked up a few Xikar punches (007 and 009) and they pretty much cover all the ring gauges for me
  • JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    On a large RG cigar you can also double punch. The only cut I don't care for is the V punch. I've been using the Xicar multi-tool recently. It has scissors and punch for clogs as well as a bottle opener and a screw driver. It folds up flat and small.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    JY001:
    On a large RG cigar you can also double punch. The only cut I don't care for is the V punch. I've been using the Xicar multi-tool recently. It has scissors and punch for clogs as well as a bottle opener and a screw driver. It folds up flat and small.
    The best thing to ever be made for the cigar man ...
  • JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    Agreed!
  • Thanks for the info so far but is it better to use a punch to get a better burn/taste? is the overall outcome different?
  • absolutjerabsolutjer Posts: 120
    dlmvh5150:
    Thanks for the info so far but is it better to use a punch to get a better burn/taste? is the overall outcome different?
    Great question I have wondered the same thing.. I'm learning a lot here on the Ccom forums
  • dlmvh5150:
    Thanks for the info so far but is it better to use a punch to get a better burn/taste? is the overall outcome different?

I read somewhere that if you use a punch cutter and go too deep, it can cause the cigar to burn hot. Also, I remember hearing that with a punch that tars can build up and sometimes sour the taste of the cigar. Others on here will definately know more than me and will hopefully correct me if I am wrong.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    dlmvh5150:
    In larger cigars, using a punch that is too small can cause too firm of a draw, which can lead to issues like the cigar burning hot, or tar build-up, which, unless dealt with properly, can basically ruin the way a cigar tastes (VERY unpleasant to get a tar leak, I'm speaking from first hand experience here...)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    StangRunner3:
    dlmvh5150:
    I read somewhere that if you use a punch cutter and go too deep, it can cause the cigar to burn hot. Also, I remember hearing that with a punch that tars can build up and sometimes sour the taste of the cigar. Others on here will definately know more than me and will hopefully correct me if I am wrong.
    i used a punch for years and loved it.

ive recently switched to a double guillotine because i was tired of my keys being too large because of the punch cutter on there.

a double guillotine can be used on every cigar where as a punch cant be used as well on many vitolas. (torpedos, perfectos, belicosos, chisels, lanceros, panatellas, etc... )