Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Eff David Letterman

LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
I think nothing I've seen or heard in my life better illustrates the abolute retardedness of our political/election system that what has transpired between John McCain and David Letterman.

In McCain, you have a man who has served his country for the majority of his life. This isn't a commentary on whether you want to vote for him or agree with his politics. He may be a hothead and he made have had more than one questionable relationship (Keating), but all in all, few Americans have sacrificed like he has and I think it qualifies him up front for a modium of respect. At the end of the day, if you don't want to vote for him, that's fine, but he's earned some respect and done some important work.

In Letterman, you have someone who is funny. I know lots of funny people. I know lots of people funnier than Letterman. What can you say about him? Maybe that he's worked hard to get where he has. OK, but at the end of the day, he tells jokes and will be remembered in memorium for his top 10 list that isn't all that funny.

And for McCain to have to go on Letterman's show and grovel, after getting treated like some punk political neophyte, is abhorent. But, sadly, Dave has 4 million viewers, so there's a good chance not going on and allowing Dave to rail against him for four more weeks could cost him the election (which he probably has already lost).

I wish to god McCain would have either skipped it altogether and found a way to rile Dave up even more, or gone on and gave him a bunch of ***. Instead, an American hero had to go on a friggin talk show and talk about "regret" and being sorry for cancelling on Dave a few weeks earlier. And instead of being gracious, Dave treats him like ***. What a ***.

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'd like to see Obama face the same level of questioning. I thought McCain handled it well, and we learned a lot more about his character in that appearance than in any of these ridiculous debates.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I'd like to see Obama face the same level of questioning.
    me too.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I think that going on letterman was a huge blunder for mccain! Pretty obvious now.

But what did he expect, Mccain blew off letterman and lied to him about it. Even if he was buddy buddy with letterman he was going to get a full ration of ****.

I saw it and really didnt think mccain handled it well at all.

Anyway, I agree on your debating issue. I have never understood why debating has been the mark of your political pedigree. You rarely debate once you are in office. Lots of arguing and fighting but not debating in the format that you see on TV.

off to take a nap before work.