Home Cigar 101

drew estate java bitter taste

2»

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    SSaka:

gmill880,

Sorry to read about your experience.

Like all handmade cigars, not every cigar nor every box is perfect, but we do strive to make it make it so. So is it possible that you received a some less than ideal cigars? Yes it is.

When it comes to both those sizes, and in paticular wafe, they will almost always turn bitter if you smoke them quickly given their narrow ring gauge. In these thinner sizes it is very easy to overheat tobacco particularly if you are a guy who regularly smokes larger or stronger cigars.

Also, a slightly high moisture content in the leaf can turn cigars bitter so I would double check that on your end.

And yes, underfermented leaf can cause it also, but it is highly unlikely that is the case. Now as for underaged leaf, that too can contribute. Leaf is bale aged, but within some bales there may be some thicker leaf that could have used a little more time, so this could be it also, it shouldn't be, but could and yes, if you laid down the cigars for ninety additional days the problem might just resolve itself.

Regardless, send me an email with your "ship to" address and I will send out some smokes to make up for ones that are disappointing you. Plus if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you to send a few of the "bad" ones back to me so we can inspect them.

Sorry for the problem,

Steve

saka@drewestate.com

President, Drew Estate, Inc.

Steve , thanks for your reply and concern. I have been an avid drew estate fan and have introduced several friends to your cigars. I am at a loss as to what gives with the two boxes I recently purchased. I would be glad to send several cigars back for exam if you will e mail me an address at genjan1@charter.net. My ship address is 20 Mallard Court, Granite Falls, N.C. 28630. Thank you for your generous offer of some smokes as replacements, I look forward to their arrival . I look forward to  enjoying your cigars in the future. That you took the time as President of Drew Estate to respond to my problem speaks volumes about your dedication to the product you produce and the customer who ends up with the finished product.  Thanks , Gene Miller

I sent this response on 10-10-08 but have been having computer problems-sent to Steve Saka,President,Drew Estate as requested-but not sure if he received it. I have resent it to him and am posting email address (genjan1@charter.net) on here just in case it did not go to his email, and he or his assistants are still monitoring cigar.com site. will let you guys know how it turns out.  gene

Still no response-i know as president of company he has more things on his mind than this-however just an e mail to let me know he had received my e mail and he,s working on it would be much appreciated since it WAS his idea! also i'm sure he has assistants he can delegate this to. maybe he's on vacation or something but i would have thought 30 days was adequate for a reply. java wafe's are still burning VERY bitter, corona's still some bitter but not as bad as wafe's. was looking forward to Steve Saka's offer of some smokes to make up for bad ones. have smoked drew estate products for several years-USUALLY love the java,chateau real,isla del sol, (getting ready to light a chateau real now) but puzzeled to non-response from several e mails at this point. do any of you guys think i'm jumping the gun expecting a reply/response/delivery after 30 days or should i just chill and wait or have any of you had a similar situation with any cigar company?
  • It's not unusual for companies to search the internet for complaints about their products like this. One of the quickest ways to hurt a company is bad reviews through word of mouth so it's logical that they would find this post and come and try to rectify things. I'm not really sure what to say about a lack of response from them however. Drew Estate is located in Nicaragua and it doesn't look like they have much of a presence in the US at all. What I'm getting at is that it's likely that the package of smokes would have been mailed to you from Nicaragua. Searching online it looks like it takes an average of about 10 days for a package to get from Nicaragua to California. It looks like it takes an average of 4-7 days for a package to get from Cali to N.C. So you're looking at around 17 days travel time. So now here is where we start running into "what if's" I don't know what their factory is like, it's possible they may not currently HAVE any cigars there, they might have to wait for the next batch to become ready before they can send you some. This package will also have to pass through customs. It's possible that it could have become lost or stolen. It can also be delayed by customs or by the FDA. If this is the case however you should receive a letter saying it has been delayed. I tried looking around for contact information for Drew Estates online but couldn't find much except a mailing list. If you haven't already tried, I would try emailing him again and see if you get a response.

all excellent points- will wait and see as have e mailed 2 times-love their cigars-worth the wait thanks wafflebob for talking me down!

Enjoyed reading article in ccom newsletter about Steve Saka of Drew Estate. Also e-mailed him again as have heard nothing up to this point from previous e-mails. Seems like a really cool guy.

Update--- regarding Drew Estate Java problem-- received a nice e-mail from Steve Saka,Pres,Drew Estates --- again apologized for bitter smokes-- explained process he is taking for replacement smokes -- and advised me I should have about Dec 11th or so. Sending 2 new boxes as replacements not just a handful of sticks. Thank you very much Steve Saka, President ,Drew Estate.... ladies and gentleman a nice round of applause for a company that actually cares about their customers !!!! Thanks again Steve --- Gene

• Thats awesome! *cheers*
    OMG- Just received a box tonite by UPS from Steve Saka, President, Drew Estates. Included one box Java Robusto Maduro, one box Java Toro Maduro, one box Tabak Especial Toro Negra, the coolest Drew Estate crystal cigar ashtray, and a Drew Estate cap. Holy smokerings!!! I am blown away by the customer service from these guys. Steve Saka thank you so much for going above and beyond what anyone could have expected. Will continue to enjoy all your fine products. THANKS STEVE----Gene
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it took a while, but that more than made up for it.

maybe i should start to complain about the Liga Pravada....

HA!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    SSaka:

gmill880,

Sorry to read about your experience.

Like all handmade cigars, not every cigar nor every box is perfect, but we do strive to make it make it so. So is it possible that you received a some less than ideal cigars? Yes it is.

When it comes to both those sizes, and in paticular wafe, they will almost always turn bitter if you smoke them quickly given their narrow ring gauge. In these thinner sizes it is very easy to overheat tobacco particularly if you are a guy who regularly smokes larger or stronger cigars.

Also, a slightly high moisture content in the leaf can turn cigars bitter so I would double check that on your end.

And yes, underfermented leaf can cause it also, but it is highly unlikely that is the case. Now as for underaged leaf, that too can contribute. Leaf is bale aged, but within some bales there may be some thicker leaf that could have used a little more time, so this could be it also, it shouldn't be, but could and yes, if you laid down the cigars for ninety additional days the problem might just resolve itself.

Regardless, send me an email with your "ship to" address and I will send out some smokes to make up for ones that are disappointing you. Plus if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you to send a few of the "bad" ones back to me so we can inspect them.

Sorry for the problem,

Steve

saka@drewestate.com

President, Drew Estate, Inc.

well damn, thats some good customer service.
    That's what I'm saying.. Nice!
    I agree, I will be giving the Java one more try especially after reading Steve's post.

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    OMG- Just received a box tonite by UPS from Steve Saka, President, Drew Estates. Included one box Java Robusto Maduro, one box Java Toro Maduro, one box Tabak Especial Toro Negra, the coolest Drew Estate crystal cigar ashtray, and a Drew Estate cap. Holy smokerings!!! I am blown away by the customer service from these guys. Steve Saka thank you so much for going above and beyond what anyone could have expected. Will continue to enjoy all your fine products. THANKS STEVE----Gene
    Glad to hear you got your smokes! Steve really came through for you! It is great to know that there are still companies out there that still appreciate there current customers and know how to earn more.

"Long ashes my friends."

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Haly crap thats some solid customer service. I've only made any kind of complaint to one company, illusione, and was completely ignored. Good to know that some companies still care about their customers. That was GENEROUS!
    More than generous Maddy and Kuzi - the crystal ashtray is a thing of beauty not to mention the smokes and hat. Needless to say I retired to the man cave to reflect and be thankful and SMOKE.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    More than generous Maddy and Kuzi - the crystal ashtray is a thing of beauty not to mention the smokes and hat. Needless to say I retired to the man cave to reflect and be thankful and SMOKE.
    As you should. Now flog yourself for even thinking about saying anything remotely bad about Drew Estate EVER! Thats awesome congrats on the score millz.
    They have definitly been elevated to sacred status in my little book of reckoning....
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Holy Score!! Dude thats sweet. Good to know customer service like that still exists. Thats a company that really cares about it's product. Still havent gotten to try an Java's yet, b&m carries every flavor of CAO but no java. Maybe one day i'll get to see what theyre all about.
    Jet Man you have air mail