Home Non Cigar Related

Shirley Phelps Roper - Westboro Baptist

I am quite surprised that this group has been allowed to operate as they do. It was very sad to hear they planned on protesting that 9 year old girls funeral, glad this radio station had a hand in stopping that. Why hasn't someone or some group sent these people a message yet, making them think twice about putting their lives at risk to protest the kind of things they do, free speech absolutely but doesn't mean some people shouldn't be sent a msg...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Fringe+church+trades+funeral+protest+Toronto+radio+airtime/4103905/story.html

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    These people are one of the lowest of society.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I've kept up with the activities of the Phelps Klan for some years now... There is an extremely small group of people in this world that I unequivocally loathe with every fiber of my soul, and that Klan forms part of it. No joking whatsoever, I'd have to have the Lord's Hand on my shoulder if I ever saw them in person.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Dead soldiers, little children, they need to be sent a message of some sort by someone....
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They call themselves a "church", at least one of them is some kind of high-powered lawyer. I think they'll be quite surprised when they meet their maker, the sooner the better!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Diamondog:
    Dead soldiers, little children, they need to be sent a message of some sort by someone....
    +10000000000. I just dont get it, if that "church" was in my area I'd make it a point of honor to get a good face stompin going every time I bumped into a member. I'm not an angry person but everytime I read anything about them I see red.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I can't wait to protest at Fred Phelps' funeral. Should be fun. What they gonna due....sue?
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    I can't wait to protest at Fred Phelps' funeral. Should be fun. What they gonna due....sue?
    Count me in for this protest!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Diamondog:
    Anonymous is actually working on this right now...
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Hays:
    I've kept up with the activities of the Phelps Klan for some years now... There is an extremely small group of people in this world that I unequivocally loathe with every fiber of my soul, and that Klan forms part of it. No joking whatsoever, I'd have to have the Lord's Hand on my shoulder if I ever saw them in person.
    Ive actually run into them here in Madison WI. Creepy story, ill post it later. The cops did have a very hard time keeping us from getting to them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that dude is a nut job.

when he dies, no matter what the cause, i would like to go to his funeral with a shirt that says "God hates Phelps"
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    that dude is a nut job.
    maybe he isnt THAT crazy...
    i once heard an argument that this guy wasnt actually interested in any of the stuff that they protest. the only reason why they do it is so they can make money.

its a little business.
    they go to protest something highly volatile, and when a spark sets the place up, he can sue the pants off of whoever set it off.

...doesnt make him any less of a ***.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    Diamondog:
    Anonymous is actually working on this right now...
    Nothing like a IRL trolling.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    It's probably only a matter of time before they're exposed to violence. Personally I thought it would happen when they protested Dio's funeral. The fact of the matter is that police presence everywhere they go is very heavy because they're knowingly causing a volatile situation.

I personally despise these people. I think our local governments all do a good job of making sure they are kept at a distance that is as far and respectful as possible from the events they protest. I think we're getting to a point in society where their hate message will actually be in violation of gay rights and the system they flaut will actually turn against them.

The sooner the better I say. I think everyone has a right to voice their opinion under our First Ammendment rights, but not when it's to terrorize, harm or subjugate another group of people. This is no different than the religious (often extremist) based arguements of racists and bigots of the past and present.

I did dig up a story about them from last year that I found humerous. At the protest of a US Army Sgt's funeral they had their tires slashed. Subsequetly: Nobody in the town would fix it for them. Eventually AAA came out and towed them to a Wal-Mart that serviced them:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101114_11_A12_CUTLIN105145&allcom=1
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Those people are despicable and have no idea what Christianity is about. The central theme of the good news was mercy and forgiveness.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    they give Christians a bad name
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything everyone has said. A little "justce in your own hands" is in order here. I will said Dennis, that alot of Christians give themselves a bad name----but these folks are probably the top of that heap.