Home Cigar 101

Starting a Collection

I am new to the site. I am trying to start a collection, but I need advice. I do not have a cigar shop within 50 miles of my home, so i am stuck on my own. I need some cigar suggestions to start me out. Right now I read the discription, but they all are starting to sound the same. Anyway some suggestions for mild, medium and full will be great

Comments

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Messick:
    I am new to the site. I am trying to start a collection, but I need advice. I do not have a cigar shop within 50 miles of my home, so i am stuck on my own. I need some cigar suggestions to start me out. Right now I read the discription, but they all are starting to sound the same. Anyway some suggestions for mild, medium and full will be great
    Welcome. Start with a sampler here on C.COM. (go the home page and click on Samplers at the top) Find some that are described to what you're looking for and try them. Keep notes on what you liked and what you didn't. Thats all part of the fun. As far as brand suggestions there are just too many.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    You could check out the review section for some good choices. You also should consider more of the lower cost sticks until you decide what your palate likes to avoid spending big cash on something you do not like.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Have you had cigars before? If so what? That would help to determine what you might like.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. Here are some affordable suggestions to explore:

For milds I enjoy CAO Gold and Rocky Patel Conn.

For mediums I enjoy AJ Fernandez signature series and San Cristobal.

On the fuller side I enjoy Man O' War Ruination, Diesel Unlimited and La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte.

Everyone's palate is different so everyone is going to have different suggestions, I recommend trying lots of different types and brands and don't commit to a box purchase until you're sure you like it. Of course, if you find yourself in possession of cigars you don't like this forum has a trade/pass/bomb section where you could try to trade them away for something else. Do you have any likes/dislikes yet?
  • MessickMessick Posts: 86
    I have been picking up cigars from the site. I have been using the suggestions. I have been trying the house blends. I have had purple and blue.I figured that would be a good way to get an idea. I also tried the vegas gold. I know all of these are mild cigars and I have enjoyed them, but I would like to explore some medium and full cigars. My wife bought me an Avo ? as a gift which was great but of course I did not save the label.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Try the 5 Vegas line, they have everything from mild to full bodied and are inexpensive to boot. You already tried the Gold, I suggest the Classic for medium and either the AAA, Series A or the Cask Strength II for full bodied.

And depending on your tolerance, you might want to have a heavier meal before giving the full bodied sticks a go.
  • Garen B:
    Try the 5 Vegas line, they have everything from mild to full bodied and are inexpensive to boot. You already tried the Gold, I suggest the Classic for medium and either the AAA, Series A or the Cask Strength II for full bodied.

And depending on your tolerance, you might want to have a heavier meal before giving the full bodied sticks a go.
    1+...i would also recommend for a more medium to full experience cuban legacy's and diesel's shorty, and the unholy cocktail...just make sure you eat something before those diesels cause they might come up and creep up on ya!!
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I agree with the 5 Vegas Line. Also, the Gran Habano line is a great brand. Very good sticks at a very affordable price. I you are looking to expand with med/full, I recommend the Dirty Dozen Sampler by AJ Fernandez. 12 cigars for $29.99 and is worth every penny. Good to have you here!
    undulac:
    I agree with the 5 Vegas Line. Also, the Gran Habano line is a great brand. Very good sticks at a very affordable price. I you are looking to expand with med/full, I recommend the Dirty Dozen Sampler by AJ Fernandez. 12 cigars for $29.99 and is worth every penny. Good to have you here!
    The dirty dozen sampler is an excellent way to get introduced to one of our favorite blenders; A J Fernandez
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    From one noob to another:

This might sound silly, but I've bought sticks based on the presentation of the box. If I like them, I go from there, or I'll trade a bunch. I've managed to try a couple dozen new cigars just through trading with BOTLs here on the forums.
    Light 'em up.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would def try ordering samplers at first, with so many brands out there it can be very overwhelming. When I first started out, that's all I bought for at least 6-8 months. Ccom has some great samplers, just give them a call and they can help you out.

"Long ashes my friends."

• MessickMessick Posts: 86
    Thanks for the help. I will start working on the suggestions. I am sure I will be back with more questions.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i'm pretty new to cigars myself, when i first started and was into mild's and full theses were some of my favorites and still are some of my favorites: CAO la traviata. Oliva G, Nub Cameroon, Nub Connecticut, 5 vegas classic, actually the 5 vegas line is good to try...el triunfador, MOW virtue, Oliva Connecticut Reserve, CAO Gold, and Macanudo Hyde Park. just a few that i could think of off the top of my head that i really liked when i first started.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy samplers and try things out. When I started I bought full samplers not knowing what I was doing. I loved them all. Samplers will give you an idea of what you like and a variety. Can't go wrong. Also call into Ccom and they will talk it over with you.
  • also if you call in your orders ask your rep for suggestions
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Messick:
    I do not have a cigar shop within 50 miles of my home,
    wow.... what part of ohio are you in?
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Would try some cigar first, once you've figured out what you like, then start dropping the money. Nothing worse than spending money on cigars that you don't like....not that you'll have any problems moving them (hopefully not) as there are always people that will have an interest in one cigar or another....just sucks having cigars you don't like :)
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    I started out buying singles and 5 packs until I figured out what I like. Still trying different brands / types. It's all part of the fun. I have found however cheap cigars are just that.... in most cases you get what you pay for. Enjoy the ride!
  • hey brotha, I was in your shoes about one year ago..... I would suggest to def start mild ( connecticut) because if you go and smoke something stronger, it might give you a bad experience and then knock you off the whole cigar smoking.....at least thats what i did.....start off mild...... i enjoy rocky patel connecticut.......they are mild, smooth and tasty....also cao golds are very good......u can purchase a mild sampler and try them out.....you will realize all these guys on this forum are very helpful and all are brothers ......we help each other out.......very nice people. they all helped me with any questions i had...... i began with one humidor, now i have two 200 count, a small 40 for my own personal stash( do not touch) and a wine ador...... just like fine wine, there are soo many different type of cigars.......start buying and then you can trade and increase your sample selection and begin smoking...... good luck brotha stav
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=736 Heres a deal for a solid mild, medium, and full body. great price too!
  • I am fairly new also. Best advise is to make a list what tastes good. Then go from there.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Call or email Tim Blythe, the bearded King of Cigardom, and I'm sure he could put together a sampler of epic varietal proportions. He's done so for me in the past, and is THE MAN. Just be sure to end the call/email with "Hail the beard!" or something along those lines.
  • nailsnails Posts: 18
    A award winning company is padron.They make full bodied, very earthy cigars.Quality is A+.A good started cigar is their 2000- a robusto.I smoked Padrons for over 7 years and never had a bad cigar.I recently switched to Nica Libre which taste exactally like Padron but is 1/3 the costs.A also like all of Cigar.com's label cigars.Flor de Oliva is the best bundle and worthy of a try.Avoid the high end cigars-a lot of money wasted.There are a lot of great $3 to $4 cigars.Don't overlook the smaller sizes.The typical Petite Corona's are full of flavor and are still a one hour smoke.Many cigars that are 4 1/2x43 smoke better than the large ring smokes.
    Good luck
  • I'm really partial to the Graycliff G2 as a beginning, mild cigar. Really fantastic and pretty cheap too. Also, C.com's very own Cuban Label was a MAJOR, MAJOR hit with me and with nearly all of my friends.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    what many people have already said...try samplers...best way to help explore what you like/don't like. Would start off with mild smokes first then work your way up
    BTW, I subscribe to the Ron White method for cigars, it is only a collection if you do not intend on smoking every last one of them.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:

Agreed, you can't go wrong with 5 Vegas, they have a blend for just about every palate and the prices are super reasonable. I didn't see anyone else bring this up yet, but the Ccom house blends are a pretty good way to get an idea of what you dig, and you can get a sampler with all of them for not too much cash. As a matter of fact, grab the daily deal today and give them a shot.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I think a good idea might also be to check the CCOM 2010 Awards listed on the home page. There is a list of some brands, etc. that are good for each strength level. Also just like the boys said, if you have a question, throw it out there and you will get some great information in return from the brothers.